cs 1.6/css players - your gaming setup

NqR

NqR

Associate
4K didn't win CPL or ESWC but they did have a brilliant streak of games. I'm sure they came 1st or 2nd at WEG, beating teams like GamerCo etc.

Also while they didn't win CPL, they did go into triple overtime against 3D in the semi-final. 04 or 05 I think?

You are wrong. According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_e-Sports_Games#cite_note-2 they came 2nd and 3rd. If memory doesn't fail me the never won an international title.
They had some worthy performances against some of the top clans but that's it. Moderately good might be an overstatement now that I think about it.

edit: Found what they achieved:

World e-Sports Games 2005 Season 1: 2 Place
World e-Sports Games 2005 Season 2: 3 Place
WSVG Intel Summer Championships 2006: 4 Place

Well, confirmed what I said above

Last edited:
Soldato
You are wrong. According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_e-Sports_Games#cite_note-2 they came 2nd and 3rd. If memory doesn't fail me the never won an international title.
They had some worthy performances against some of the top clans but that's it. Moderately good might be an overstatement now that I think about it.

04 they were regarded as top 5 EU, top 10 world:

http://www.gotfrag.com/cs/story/5540/

Some of this might be I-eS/4Kings but nontheless:

NL - 2006 - 2nd - Dutch Lan
NL - 2006 - 3rd - Netgamez
UK - 2006 - 5th - WSVG London
UK - 2006 - 2nd - WCG UK qualifier
US - 2006 - 4th - WSVG Summer Dallas
FR - 2006 - 9th - ESWC Finals
UK - 2006 - 1st - ESWC Qualifier
CN - 2006 - 7th - WEG Masters
US - 2005 - 8th - CPL Winter Dallas
US - 2005 - 2nd - LG Bootcamp Lan
UK - 2005 - 5th - CPL Sheffield
FR - 2005 - LOL - ESWC Finals
KR - 2005 - 3rd - WEG Season 2
UK - 2005 - 1st - ESWC Qualifier
CN - 2005 - 2nd - WEG Season 1 Finals
KR - 2005 - 2nd - WEG Season 1
US - 2004 - 9th - CPL Winter Dallas
UK - 2004 - 1st - CPL Winter Qualifier
SE - 2004 - LFC - HLO Bootcamp
US - 2004 - LOL - World Cyber Games San Francisco
UK - 2004 - 3rd - EOGC LAN
UK - 2004 - 2nd - ESWC Qualifier
UK - 2004 - 2nd - Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition Challenge II
US - 2004 - 9th - CPL Summer Dallas
UK - 2004 - 2nd - CPL Summer Qualifier
BR - 2004 - LFC - Intel Brazil Bootcamp
US - 2003 - LOL - CXG Vegas
US - 2003 - 8th - CPL Winter Dallas
UK - 2003 - 1st - Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition Challenge
KR - 2003 - 9th - World Cyber Games Soeul
UK - 2003 - 1st - WCG Qualifier
ES - 2003 - 2nd - Campus Party lan
US - 2003 - 5th - CPL Summer Dallas
DE - 2003 - 2nd - CB Eurocup VII
SE - 2003 - LFC - HLO Bootcamp
FR - 2003 - 5th - ESWC Lan Finals
UK - 2003 - 1st - ESWC Qualifier
UK - 2003 - 1st - UKT1, Northampton

Like I said, they didn't win ESWC/CPL but they definitely did damage internationally.

NqR

NqR

Associate
The link you gave listed them as 9th and that not even a yearly ranking. not top5 for 2004

Quoting Mangiacapra (long time 4k member) "In the Guiness Book of records for most CPL's attended without a 1st place."

Like I said, they didn't win ESWC/CPL but they definitely did damage internationally.

That's what I am saying. Doing damage is not enough.

ryu

ryu

Associate
out of curiosity what are 120hz tft's like with the half life 1 engine? changing from an 100hz 19" iiyama crt to a £400 samsung 172x 17" tft many moons ago was an horrifying experience! have the new tfts come any closer at achieving the smoothness of a crt?

800x600 res ftw

also whats the pro/general opinion on the new cs:go is it another css or does it bare resemblence to 1.6?

Soldato
Ah, people who think they are pro at games, down there with the Jeremy Kyle bunch in scum terms. :cool:

I don't think anyone has said they are "pro" in here. They are discussing competitive games, what's wrong with that? It's the same as people talking about Football matches, etc.

As for people who actually are pro and earn a living by playing games, do you think they're scum also?

Soldato
out of curiosity what are 120hz tft's like with the half life 1 engine? changing from an 100hz 19" iiyama crt to a £400 samsung 172x 17" tft many moons ago was an horrifying experience! have the new tfts come any closer at achieving the smoothness of a crt?

800x600 res ftw

also whats the pro/general opinion on the new cs:go is it another css or does it bare resemblence to 1.6?

They are very good imo, I played q3 and CS for years and still do play quake live. I could never achieve the smoothness of a CRT with any TFT's until I recently bought my samsung 23" 120hz from here on OCUK, it is smooth as silk.

Soldato
The link you gave listed them as 9th and that not even a yearly ranking. not top5 for 2004

Quoting Mangiacapra (long time 4k member) "In the Guiness Book of records for most CPL's attended without a 1st place."

That's what I am saying. Doing damage is not enough.

Doing damage is not enough? They dominated the UK scene and got decent placings in the biggest tournaments internationally.

Yes, they weren't team9 or NoA by a long shot, but it wasn't like the constantly got rolled 12-1.

I think the first UK team to beat them was either =WOLF= or 5Giants, they both did squat on the EU scene.

NqR

NqR

Associate
ok mate I am not saying they were't good. Let me give you an example.

4k was like Olympiacos FC from the greek football league (League relation is appropriate considering the uk cs scene compared to others)
He dominates in Greece (38 league titles) but his best in Europe was 2 champions league quarter finals. Is he a good team? In Greece yes, internationally NO.
Like my example?
Basically we are saying the same thing with a different perception of the word "good".

Low resolution because the models are bigger and map feels closer.

You are wrong :) This is a common misconception in cs1.6 . Models are not bigger regardless of the resolution.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Playing at that res just boggles the mind why you would spend all that money on that rig.

Why?

You think I paid all that money on my rig just to play cs 1.6? lol no. I run it at that res because widescreen doesn't work properly in cs 1.6 and as others have said the game is 'closer' in 800x600.

I don't understand why a low resolution is preferable? Surely you can aim and make out distance detail better at higher resolutions?

Nope, pixels look bigger in small res so you can discern where bullets are hitting much more easier. On higher resolutions it is much harder. For CSS it is different as the game was designed for higher resolutions.

For CSS I play in 1920x1080.

Soldato
OP
'Pro' scene cracks me up.

Along with the die hard Intellimouse followers on ridiculous resolutions.

So you think everyone is trying to be 'pro' who plays cs 1.6/CSS, uses an intellimouse and games in lower resolutions?

And what's wrong with Intellimouse mice?:confused: I used one because it had been the most reliable mouse for me, and is cheap. Where other mice have lasted me a year or less, with problems such as the left mouse button getting worn out, the sensor going, etc etc. Pretty much most people who have been playing multiplayer games since around 1999 will tell you that including Quake players. As good as the Razer mice have been, they have never in my experience been reliable.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
The only UK 1.6 team that had any flourish about them were probably ATR, and they didn't last that long anyway.

Dignitas are still the biggest team the UK has to offer, but none of the 'players of old' really dedicate any time to the game anymore.

If you wanted to be good at CS, you had to move to Sweden. Everyone knows the Swedes dominate this game...

And on-topic:
MX518 (now G400)
800dpi
~1.3 sens
800x600 fullscreen
Large Crosshair, white.

4Kings were good back in the day in the UK, but as soon as they stepped foot onto foreign turf, they couldn't bring home any silverware...

Associate
So you think everyone is trying to be 'pro' who plays cs 1.6/CSS, uses an intellimouse and games in lower resolutions?

And what's wrong with Intellimouse mice?:confused: I used one because it had been the most reliable mouse for me, and is cheap. Where other mice have lasted me a year or less, with problems such as the left mouse button getting worn out, the sensor going, etc etc. Pretty much most people who have been playing multiplayer games since around 1999 will tell you that including Quake players. As good as the Razer mice have been, they have never in my experience been reliable.

The IMO1.1 was awesome, managed to source some IME 3.0 as my DA has now started missing tracking and I can't move to the right sometimes... so will order some IME 3.0 and a DA:BE to compare. It's typical, as I just got a Qpad MK-50 and for some reason the DA has just started playing up...

Soldato

Razer mice have never been decent imo.

And yes - Purposely playing in 800x600 is silly. If you are not 'Pro' or trying to be 'Pro' why bother?

Back
Top Bottom