My pleasant surprise of the day

Soldato
Which engines would those be? Out of interest, genuinely curious.

I know the 1.4 DOHC Rover K series of 1988 made 103bhp, which was a lot at the time.

I wasnt really refering to small engines with high outputs per say, just for the bhp per litre, the 1.2 was nothing ground breaking. :)

But you make a good point on the K series, stick a turbo on that and you will probably see a modest 20-30bhp increase(complete and utter guess) on that, comprative to the 1.2t of today thats not bad going!

Associate
1.2t kicking out 105hp is probably unstressed if anything by todays standards.
hp per ltr, its on par with engines of 20 years ago. :)

True.
However the old 1.8t from vag was very reliable.

There have been countless issues with the 1.2/1.4 tsi - a lot of them cured by software upgrades but quite a few timing chain and turbo failures as early as 20-30k miles.

I remember looking at an octavia with that engine and a bit of googling came up with countless horror stories about timing chain failure - enough to make me want a much more dull but bombproof 1.6 NA engine.

Associate
Meh ive seen no end of new VAG TSI cars sat at the side of the road with a AA/RAC in the last 3 years since I debated getting one, glad I didnt.

Also IMO 105 HP and 0-60 10.5 seconds is too slow for a car of that size.

Hawker

Last edited:
Associate
Stupid 20k service intervals will kill them quickly

They aren't fixed 20k... it's variable life service. Which depends on the kind of driving you are doing. I've been over the 20k mark without service warning coming on in my PD 130 engine. But also when I was doing more round town work I dropped back to a fixed service interval.

Soldato
But surely in the design of the engine they allow for this? The long service intervals I mean.

It definitely doesn't do the engine any favours. The only benefit I can see is for new buyers concerned about running costs. Long life has never done vag engines any favours

As for high stressed 1.2 add low stress 1.8, can you elaborate on that? Fyi mine was remapped about 100k ago too

Soldato
Parts will be cheap but they will need super thin feeler gauges to align, set and keep running, tolerances will be minuscule, just think R5T

Surely R5T is not referring to a Renault 5 Turbo with it's prehistoric pushrod engine? If so then any reference to minuscule tolerances is well out of context :p

How often do you use feeler gauges on a modern engine anyway? Valve clearances and points gap where the main use for these in the past and points are not used in any modern engine and the vast majority have hydraulic adjustment of valve clearances.

105 bhp from a turbocharged 1.2 is not a particularly high specific output, it's rather lower than e.g. the normally aspirated 1.6 engine in a late 80's Honda Civic and only a little above the 1.4 K series or 1.4 TU series used in the AX GTi.

If a high revving normally aspirated engine can happily run for 150k miles or more with only basic maintenance then a low revving 1.2 with a light pressure turbo shouldn't present a challenge in the reliability stakes.

Man of Honour
Stupid 20k service intervals will kill them quickly

No they won't.

I don't doubt that 100k mile 7 year old ecoboostturboco2nutter engines will be a massive pain in everyones backside but it will be for reasons not related to the 20k service intervals.

Soldato
Enjoyed my 1.4l engine with it's turbo when I had it, 150bhp standard but I ran it at 180bhp for my entire ownership without issue. Preferred the engine to similiar cars with 1.8l/2.0l engines.

Soldato
Also IMO 105 HP and 0-60 10.5 seconds is too slow for a car of that size.

Really? Would you say the same if it had a naturally aspirated 1.6 engine? Because that's the most common engine I'm sure in cars like the older Leon, Focus, Astra etc, and they're not "too slow" unless you're on a race track. Certainly perfectly acceptable for day to day use for the vast majority of the general public. The 1.2TSI also has healthy torque production right where it's useful thanks to its turbo, so I dare say it's better.

Man of Honour
We don't appear to be living in a world where everyones engine is falling apart at 100k miles due purely to extended oil change intervals.

Back
Top Bottom