Hyundai Veloster!

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;21291854 said:
Because your petrol isn't that expensive and your car market is full of well priced awesome V6 and V8 RWD Saloons from Ford and Holden that we could only dream of being able to buy over here?

You could buy a M5? Everything is close together in the UK so with low used car values and the low distance between things you have no reason not to ;)

A Falcon would probably be 30% more to buy and run over the cars we have seen, perhaps a little more.

Soldato
OP
Went and put my money where my mouth is and ordered one.

Three month wait, would rather have a new one instead of one that's sat in the dealers anyway, didn't want the colours they had.

Went for the standard Australian Spec model.

The + model gains climate, glass sunroof, electric folding mirrors, electrically adjustable drivers seat base (but not the back), different style headlights (not HID or Xenon), full leather, keyless entry and start.

I didn't see the point in the sunroof (eats headroom) or the folding mirrors. The adjustable seat base was pointless, as both myself and my girlfriend would be driving the car, we need to change the seat position each time, so its a lot quicker for her to slide it forwards on a rail. I would have liked climate, but it was a $4000 premium, so decided against it.

List is $27990 on the road, ended up paying $25890 on the road, including darkest legal tints, mats, boot liner, boot lip protector (carpet tongue to stop scratching the lip).

Oh, and its coming in Sunflower Yellow, too many white cars here, so decided to be a bit daring, saw one in the metal before ordering, looks cracking. The photos show it to be more orangey than it is in real life. Its similar to the Nissan 350z yellow.

Would I buy one in the UK at UK prices, starting at £18k, doubt it very much, but here the car is a lot less than its competitors, and buying new or nearly new makes more financial sense as cars hold value a lot better.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just to update this, has arrived at the dealers, so can collect whenever is possible, next weekend or the one after I imagine, need to travel over to western Sydney to the dealers.

I need to sort out plates with the RTA, ideally I want smaller black plates with white text. Standard ones are big white/yellow plates.

As things have turned out, my girlfriend will be using it mostly as she is working in the next town over, about 50km each way three days a week. I ride my push bike to work or use a work vehicle, so this leaves it open for me to buy a sports car come summer then a 4x4 after that.

Soldato
OP
Doesn't sound like a very exciting wait :p

Nice looking car though.

Been busy and didn't expect it a month early so not had time to get excited, went down the coast to Melbourne and Philip Island on holiday.

Gotta sell our Fiesta now!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Kinda sums the whole thing up, you order a brand new car, it arrives and you can't even be bothered to go and fetch it :p

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;21842680 said:
Kinda sums the whole thing up, you order a brand new car, it arrives and you can't even be bothered to go and fetch it :p

Expected it mid June as said, so don't have the full deposit available this weekend, have to wait until get paid.

I don't want to p/x the Fiesta and throw $3500 away ($4000 p/x price sell privately for $7500), would rather pay the deposit in cash, then sell the Fiesta in time, bank the money from that gaining ~6% interest whilst only paying 1.9% on the car.

Associate
The turbo edition been annouced now, the Veloster has created quite a buzz over here. Like its been mentioned cars cost stupid money here & VW are considered a luxury brand.

Soldato
OP
Picked up today, was unable to sell our car privately which was a bit of a disappointment, ended up p/x'ing our Fiesta, the dealer gave us a better than expected price, so did that as it was due service in 1000km and rego (VED and Third Party Insurance) in August which is pretty pricey.

Dealer was excellent, very easy going and an enjoyable experience.

I noticed at the hand over that the window tinters have nicked one of the window seals on the rear window when tinting the car which is a pain, having it replaced when the car has its running in 1500km service at the end of the month.

Driving back from Sydney, it certainly turns some heads and had people comment on it already, everywhere we stopped people were looking (and laughing at the idiots in a bright yellow Hyundai ;) )

Just been taking it easy <3.5k rpm which I will do until the running in service, it doesn't recommend doing anything like this, but I think its preferable to hammering it and ending up having high oil consumption or other issues.

The media centre and the speaker setup is fantastic, ipod connected up with tunes on was great. Connecting my phone up via the bluetooth was a doddle too.

Road noise is relatively low even with the large wheels/low profile tyres. No longer need to shout to each other at 110km/h!

Quick camera phone photo.

IMAG0066.jpg

Back
Top Bottom