Steel Toecaps(Trainers) + Dress code

Soldato
OP
I emailed 'the union' via e-mail and put across my issue and had this reply:

'The company should provide you with safety shoes as you are a warehouse
Colleague.'

So armed with that I've been waiting for the manager to speak to me that brought up my problem but as of yet, only dirty looks which is franky, immature. As soon as this person attempts anything like what happened to start this I'll be making sure I get my sending home reason in writing and signed and approved by a higher manager before I go anywhere though I dont even think I'll get past the first manager as soon as I mention anything about unions.. and if they want a 'meeting' I'll be declining until I have a union rep with me.

Late update as Ive been waiting for the union rep to ring me, missed a few calls due to baby/work duties with no number to call back and voicemails of further calls to come. My day off tomorrow so I'll be giving them a call.

I meant to take a picture of what my shoes actually look like, maybe treat you tomorrow.

All this over a pair of safety shoes that arnt even outrageous. There is a person in the warehouse that has bright purple laces on their safety boots.. go figure.

Associate
I bought these when working at a different place entirely and the manager there was fine with them and obviously it was a completely different type of store so irrelevant but these are what I am using.

Unfortunately I now work in a supermarket, I really am grateful for a job, mortgage, baby, food, utilities.. apparently they're not free and I hate being out of work so its win win!. Currently going through recruitment process with the Army and can't wait to be gone from here.

When I started here I used my own shoes and wrecked them within 2 weeks as they were going out/smart shoes (didnt like them very much and figured why spend money when I have shoes already!) they were just for looks but they ruined my feet, so I decided to wear my trainer/toecaps and see if anything was ever said then I'd go get some proper ones.

A few times I've been stopped by random managers, one asking where I got them from and was fine, think they wanted a pair, another stopped me for wearing trainers but was fine once they knew they were toecaps just told me to change the laces to black ones.

Now.. on Sunday, I was pulled up by another manager, who now I think about it has actually asked me about them before and was fine once I said they were toecaps but I dont think they remember this. They told me that by the next shift I should have gone and bought a new pair of shoes or I'd be sent home, without pay. A little annoying after wearing them for over a year without any problems, so I said that I couldnt afford it so this person gave me until Friday (payday) to get some or again would be going home without pay. So I said I doubt very much I'd be able to afford anything then either, wanted to buy myself some time to look into if I'm supposed to have steel toecaps or not for the job and if so if they're meant to be provided. Dont have the hand book to hand so I'll grab one tomorrow when I'm in.

I can afford it but I just didnt appreciate the way this was done (infront of another staff member on the shop floor) and the small time frame I was given after wearing them for so long without a problem. Plus it was early and I was cranky :D

As a side note and not sure if its relevant but a new staff member had the wrong shoes on one day last week which they've been wearing for the past 8 weeks since they started and as there was an inspection visit so had a new pair of shoes bought for them and isnt expected to pay for them.

I've had a little google around and I can't find anything definitive on supermarkets, I do work in the warehouse quite a bit and I do lift things that if I dropped it would probably break something. Aswell as pulling cages and catching the back of your ankle is quite unpleasant!

Tempted to go and speak to the store manager and see what he says to me about the shoes before I do anything but would be nice to know if I actually need steel toecaps and if they're meant to be provided or not. Not that I'd wear them if they're likely to be anything previous places use.

I'm not quite sure how much longer I'm going to be there, all dependant on the Army and my fitness but certainly past this Friday so I think I maybe stuck with getting a new pair of shoes so expect a spec me some awesomely comfy smart steelys soon!

TL : DR
Where do I stand with the "going home without pay" bit? (I'm thinking they can send me home under the dress code, if its in the contract/hand book) but not sure about the without pay?)
Do I need steel toe caps for working in a supermarket as I regularly work in the warehouse and should this be provided for me?

Any PPE (which toe caps would come under) should be paid for by the employer. Unless contractor in which case PPE is their responsibility....

Just as a helper... I've got a set of Magnum Composite toe cap boots which are comfier than any safety trainer i've found... and matches standards for safety.... Polishes up nice too which looks good. :)

Soldato
Any PPE (which toe caps would come under) should be paid for by the employer. Unless contractor in which case PPE is their responsibility....

Just as a helper... I've got a set of Magnum Composite toe cap boots which are comfier than any safety trainer i've found... and matches standards for safety.... Polishes up nice too which looks good. :)

Correct on the employee side, contractor depends on contract details. We supply our contractors with head, eye, hand and feet protection. In special areas we also supply overalls, outside gear and re breathers.

But have a word with you're safety rep and confirm your not happy with the lack of P.P.E. if he doesn't sort you a set out go to your union rep.
If your not happy safety wise don't do it, last thing you want is to break a bone in your foot during training.

Soldato
When I left school I worked for Tesco as a warehouse/shop floor person and was provided steel toe boots, and as far as I'm aware they have to be provided if you user roll cages and plat trucks!

DcD

DcD

Associate
When I left school I worked for Tesco as a warehouse/shop floor person and was provided steel toe boots, and as far as I'm aware they have to be provided if you user roll cages and plat trucks!

Same here.

I first started out wearing my own boots, then swapped to my Dad's steel toe cap shoes that he uses at electrical sub station sites. Tescos later gave me a pair.

As someone earlier said, if they say you need steel toe caps, they -by law- have to provide them. As for the sent home without pay thing, I suppose if you turn up to a restaurant to be a waiter with jeans and a tank top on, you'd be sent home without pay. They have to provide safety gear, which is what steel toe caps are, they don't have to supply items for 'dress code'.

Back
Top Bottom