if you could only have use 1 lens

Associate
35mm, though I can't decide between the f/2.0 (which is incredibly compact) or the f/1.2 (which is larger and heavier). I end up carrying both and switch when the sun sets.

Soldato
I've used primes, quite a few and while great, if I was limited to 1 lens I think I'd also stick with the 24-70mm f2.8 I use 80% of the time on my camera.

Versatility for me :)

Caporegime
Probably the Nikon 28-300mm or the Tamron 18-270 on crop.
otherwise my 70-20mm 2.8

would never choose a prime when the pro zooms are more or less as sharp and give so many more options, and although the super zooms aren't quite as pin sharp they are more than suffient if one is really forced to have a single lens.

Read a similar poll on another forum some time back and most of the pros would also choose a pro zoom or super zooms, even those togs that only used Zeiss primes etc.

Caporegime
I've used primes, quite a few and while great, if I was limited to 1 lens I think I'd also stick with the 24-70mm f2.8 I use 80% of the time on my camera.

See you say about versatility, the 35L offers a type of image which other lenses just cannot match.

By the way, not disagreeing with you or trying to be picky mate :) - just conversing :D

Soldato
whats the difference between a super zoom and a pro zoom in technical terms?
thanks

Pro Zooms generally refer to the 24-70 and 70-200 lenses (though other high end lenses are also included like the Nikon 14-24, or Canon 100-400, with 'pro' generally referring to the optical quality and build quality of the lenses.

Super Zooms are called 'super' because of their zoom range, not their optical quality, which is often far from super as a part of offering such a zoom range. On crops these cameras are the 18-200 (up to 270) lenses, and on a full frame DSLR they tend to be 28-300 lenses.

Soldato
Surprised at all the primes. I'd go with a 24-70.

I'm looking for exactly that, one lens to rule them all (without hitting L series prices), perhaps the sigma 24-70mm f2.8 IF EX DG HSM (approx £600). Is it decent for landscapes as well as portraits?

Otherwise my choice for one lens would be a prime, currently only tried 50mm but love it :D

Back
Top Bottom