*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Could you try pistol squats (so bodyweight only) or does the rig sway too much even for that?

Yup and the weather is up at the moment halting Ops (the best time to train) :(

Hack squats, RDLs, calf raises. Lots you can do for legs. Even smith squats wouldn't be a bad option

Could do calf raises and smith squats out of those safely. But Smith squats are horrible and feel completely wrong.

Might just stick with the rest of the body for a week or two until I'm off and back on solid ground, it's my shoulders and arms lacking atm, my legs are doing well :)

The other problem on here is food. It's either great or terrible, but always limited choice for snacking in between the x3 main meals. But I can make toast and have peanut butter, otherwise it's just deserts available and that would send me into a relapse binge of cheesecake, giant profiteroles, trifle etc etc :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
ok

i kinda stopped going to the gym a couple of months back and i really need to start up again. i was doing SL5x5, and gaining well from it (120kg squat for 5x5 when i started to tail off attending)

next week i'm on a course next to my gym so it seems the idea opportunity to smash some sessions in and try and get back into the habit

ordinarily i'd be on SL5x5 again like a shot, with considerably reduce weight obviously, but right now i have a damaged ankle which'll put squats and deadlifts out for a few more weeks at least

OHP and bench should be fine, but i guess what i'm after is a few more things i can throw in as well until the ankle is back in the game

Associate
Things like dips/pullups should be fairly obvious.
For hammstrings/core - GHR are though but very effective
Can't think of anything for quads apart from leg extensions - these should be better than nothing.

Caporegime
Things like dips/pullups should be fairly obvious.
Can't think of anything for quads apart from leg extensions - these should be better than nothing.

Anything squat like surely? Squats, lunges, bulgarian split squats (which can be done anywhere pretty much.

All sorts!!

Associate
Was at the gym today doing my PHAT upper body power day.
Saw this tall but slim-ish fella (probably around 6ft 1/ 70-75kg tops) doing some clean and presses. He was there starting with 30kg when I got in the gym so walked past and was on my way.
As he kept on doing singles he eventually got to something like 75kg - I thought that was quite impressive given his weight/height. He dropped the bar on the floor each time so you could hear him lifting.

I then go on and do my sets and walk past him 15 minutes later and see him with 100kg on the bar and thought "WOW" when I heard the bar banging on the floor a bit later.
Fast forward another 15 minutes and I see him with with 140kg in front of him. Now bear in mid this fella had 15inch arms at best and was also very tall so leverage was not in his advantage.

As my jaw drops to the floor I begin feeling like the saddest bicep monkey in the world and start looking for tissues to wipe my future tears. I decide to sit down as this I most certainly have to see this amazing feat of strength.

So he places himself in front of the bar, gets ready and... starts deadlifting it for about 8-10 reps. in fairness it was probably close to 2x bw so not bad... but I returned to my bicep curls with a big smug face. :D

Soldato

Having only ever seen these mentioned on here, and never seeing them at the gym, i gave these a go today. Quite fun, even if i did look mental. Somehow managed to put both my calves in to cramp however.

Currently doing 45kg bench press, 75kg dead lifts. I know those numbers are small compared to many of you super strong people on here, however I have only been at this a month coming from a fairly sedintary lifestyle and never having lifted before, ever. Chuffed so far :)

Caporegime
Having only ever seen these mentioned on here, and never seeing them at the gym, i gave these a go today. Quite fun, even if i did look mental. Somehow managed to put both my calves in to cramp however.

Currently doing 45kg bench press, 75kg dead lifts. I know those numbers are small compared to many of you super strong people on here, however I have only been at this a month coming from a fairly sedintary lifestyle and never having lifted before, ever. Chuffed so far :)

Wouldn't sniff at the numbers mate, it's good going :)

GHR's can be BRUTAL, trick is to keep tension as long as you can (while keeping it safe obviously) you won't be able to walk for a while ;) :D

getting down to tie my laces is bad enough :p

Ahh that sucks buddy :( Hope recovery goes well

Man of Honour

Everyone's got to start somewhere. :) you've taken your first steps and doing some decent exercises. Keep at it. :)

Soldato
hoping to hit atleast hit triple digits on Squats before hitting a wall, while on a cut. It's still slowly going up though :D

Mobility - 30mins
Squats - 95kg
Bench Press - 90kg
BB Row - 70kg

Still got core work (gonna attempt some ab rollouts, dumbbell style!) to do after work and 'maybe' some complexes to help shift some fat..feelsgood.gif!

Last edited:
Caporegime
hoping to hit atleast hit triple digits on Squats before hitting a wall, while on a cut. It's still slowly going up though :D

Mobility - 30mins
Squats - 95kg
Bench Press - 90kg
BB Row - 70kg

Still got core work (gonna attempt some ab rollouts, dumbbell style!) to do after work and 'maybe' some complexes to help shift some fat..feelsgood.gif!

Nice numbers chap :) How are your working sets laid out?

But yeah, complexes will be good, or do some hiit :)

Caporegime
Powered through deadlifts today. Struggled last Wednesday with them, 5 reps at 97.5 and I could only manage 2 in a row with a slight rest.

This morning at 102.5, I didn't let myself have that slight rest I just powered through it. So just shows its all in the mind.

Feels like I'm edging towards proper weight for deadlifts.

On another note, I got a chalk ball at the weekend and I feel like such a badass. It really helped as my sweaty palms was a distraction at a higher weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom