Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
been on the virgin media forums to ask for help regarding the really slow speed, they said "I have checked your connection and the downstream power level is too high. We will need to arrange an engineer visit to adjust the power levels.".

What does this mean? what the hell will they do? put new wires or something?

Well he is going to come on thursday, will let you guys know what happens.
It means that your downstream power levels are too high and an engineer is coming to fix it...

He will put an attenuator on the cable between the wall and your Superhub to bring the power levels down.

Associate
Got upgraded to 100mb a few days ago. It actually costs less per month now by £1. For some reason my graph looks better but browsing is slow and my router just keep restarting and all the settings get reset. Really anoying as its happening a lot.

Soldato
Youtube not buffering videos at 360p... not sure if its YT or my net but it's driving me mad. I can download at max speed though using newsgroups..

Edit: New video.. 720p, no... 480p... no.. 360, no... 240p NO! GRRR

IME Virgin throttle YouTube video's heavily.

Agreed

no matter what speed VM you get, youtube videos never stream at full speed.

Really? - I've been on 50Mb for over a year and HD YT vids nearly always stream at full 50Mb. Just tried it now with a 10min 720p video at it fully loaded in 20 seconds.

Soldato
Lucky you!

There are widespread Youtube buffering problems which VM are more than aware of.

I'm still having issues with my VM, holding out till July for the double speed roll out but it'll probably "sort itself out" by then as all the students will be leaving soon.

Plusnet (2mbit down / 0.5mbit up)

z30Su.png

Virgin (50mbit down / 5mbit up)

3a926a8560e64b40fe53d550e8f2ed02-16-05-2012.png

Last edited:
Associate
It means that your downstream power levels are too high and an engineer is coming to fix it...

He will put an attenuator on the cable between the wall and your Superhub to bring the power levels down.

oh right, thanks. Hope it actually fixes the connection or improves it at least.

Associate
Just had 100MB installed, line is working great so far low latency and solid speeds. The speed is insane after sticking with 20MB for so long.

100mb.PNG

I think I'm on 120MB though?

Caporegime
Was something wrong on a national scale last night?

I am on 50Mbps connection at home and even a 7Mb xbox live update took a few minutes to download which I would not expect.

Soldato
How useful are these thinkbroadband graphs? I only ask because I set one up on my Virgin 30MB/60MB connection a couple of weeks back, and the results looked nearly identical to a lot of guys who complain they have problems, however I've never had a single issue with service in almost 7 years of living at this property.

Looking at the "Virgin (50mbit down / 5mbit up)" one a few posts up, mine was almost the same as that, perhaps slightly less of the yellow max. latency above 80.

Man of Honour
How useful are these thinkbroadband graphs? I only ask because I set one up on my Virgin 30MB/60MB connection a couple of weeks back, and the results looked nearly identical to a lot of guys who complain they have problems, however I've never had a single issue with service in almost 7 years of living at this property.

Looking at the "Virgin (50mbit down / 5mbit up)" one a few posts up, mine was almost the same as that, perhaps slightly less of the yellow max. latency above 80.

If you don't play multiplayer games online and you don't use voip you likely wouldn't notice even with quite bad latency spikes.

Soldato

That virgin graph is one of the better ones which are due in part to the students beginning to leave the area, as such my VM is significantly better now than it has been over the last 9 months. However, go back to next Monday and you'll see the kind of graph that stops me from playing games or doing anything other than just browsing:

b880fdaa4468e162bbf06dd0b87d9cda-07-05-2012.png

As FrenchTart stated, if you don't game/voip then you probably won't notice it.

Soldato
Correct it's not too bad now, as I explained in my post this is one of the "better" graphs, it still has way too much jitter though but at least packet loss is now down to a minimum.

Considering my plusnet connection costs £10 a month and my Virgin costs £35 a month, I would expect the graphs to be the other way around, wouldn't you?

Soldato
but your plusnet connection most likely won't have as many people on it as your virgin connection does

And what... that is supposed to be acceptable?

I pay for a premium service so I expect a premium service, the fact that they sell a product they cannot provide is their issue, not mine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom