E-readers who has one?

Associate
got the new sony ebook reader PRS-T1 and my dads got the old 650 and i must say they are nice to use and i love mine cause i can put a 32gb sd card in it stuff with books and take it anywhere and it lasts for weeks without charging

Soldato
(my mother's Kindle seems to move the book that is currently being read to the top of the collection list, which makes it a little harder to work out what the next book in the series is).
FYI you can change this, at the top you can change the sort order to 'Sort by 'Title' rather than 'Sort by Recently Read' (at least it does on my Keyboard, would be weird if they removed this!)

Ah also if you use a Calibre plugboard you can insert the series number of the book into the title so when it sorts by Title you will have the series in order.

Though I agree it would have been very straightforward to provide some additional options for sorting and organizing the books on the Kindle.

Last edited:
Associate
When I first heard about E-readers I thought they where sacrilegious books should stay books, the way they smell and feel etc; the more I come across these things though the more I'm starting to want one so my question is who has one and would they recommend it?

Bought my mother a kindle wifi keyboard for mothers day last year. I installed twilight on it and a couple of other books. She's expanded to over thirty books.

I read a chapter of the twilight and then went and bought the keyboardless Kindle. Love it.
90+ books and counting. It's paid for itself in the fact that downloads are cheaper than books.

Currently work in call centre and it's really turned into a bonus as between calls I can happily read 3-4 page

Associate
The Kindle has the whole "it's integrated with Amazon" thing going for it, but the downsides (I've actually got access to a Kindle keyboard, kindle 4, and 505 here).

They can't seem to do simple things like a proper author or collection sort - My 3.5 year old 505 handles collections better than a new Kindle, it doesn't move the books around in the collection for example (my mother's Kindle seems to move the book that is currently being read to the top of the collection list, which makes it a little harder to work out what the next book in the series is).

I like the Kindle generally, but there as several very simple and stupid design choices that drive me nuts every time I have to use one - the collections issue for example shouldn't be an issue at all, it's a simple software fix (if they wanted they could offer you the choice of how it behaves), and the direction/ok button is something that I'm amazed wasn't spotted in the prototype stage.

The 505 despite being a much older model just seems to beat the Kindle for UI when it comes to the "library" side of the units, and the navigation controls are better.

One thing i'd love is the option to rename books within collection. As I'd put the series number at start of the name so it actually listed them in order of the series.

Commissario
FYI you can change this, at the top you can change the sort order to 'Sort by 'Title' rather than 'Sort by Recently Read' (at least it does on my Keyboard, would be weird if they removed this!)

Ah also if you use a Calibre plugboard you can insert the series number of the book into the title so when it sorts by Title you will have the series in order.

Though I agree it would have been very straightforward to provide some additional options for sorting and organizing the books on the Kindle.

I'll have to have a poke around with that, as I do have Calibre set the series and number, but it doesn't seem to take with the kindle 4 (whilst it seems to work by default with the 505 and always has).

Associate
Kindle user and have been for 2 years, will never look back love the lightness and convenience.

battery life is great. Not great for night time reading unless you want a crappy light attachment though.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Kindle has a great price point and it's easy to use and buy stuff on. It seems to be the go-to reader.

Although I prefer my Sony Reader over it by a mile, I think that's because I'm used to having a reader without the wifis etc. I think the new Sony Reader has connectivity though. I suspect it's a good buy, but I've not really paid attention since I got the 650.

Capodecina
Soldato
"The Best Is The Enemy Of The Good" - Voltaire

... The 505 despite being a much older model just seems to beat the Kindle for UI when it comes to the "library" side of the units, and the navigation controls are better.
So far as I know, the Sony 505 is no longer available? I have no idea whether there is a replacement for it and this is surely the problem. Any of the Kindle, the iPhone, the iPad or the iPod may not be best of breed but they undoubtedly have the profile and thereby achieve critical mass and consumer acceptance.

I have over the years bought or been given so many Sony devices and my brother absolutely swears by Sony (Vaio, MiniDisk, TV, etc.). However, I believe that Sony's preoccupation with using unusual but undoubtedly superior standards (e.g. AAC) does them enormous damage. Look at BetaMax - a superior product that disappeared without trace.

Back
Top Bottom