Fat burn before holiday

Soldato
Go on then, let's look at his OP:
I am aware that I can't target my spare tyre in isolation etc etc, but I am sure abs work will help.

Oh wait, so he says isolation won't help but still wants to attempt some isolation. Okay cool. But does sort of go against what you're saying.....

Happy to look at exercise and diet.

Oh looky here too, he's actually happy to look in to both his routine and diet, so maybe, just maybe, we're welcome to suggest a superior way for him to train/eat?

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated

Well that sort of confirms it. Any help appreciated. So you know, why not give him help?

P.S. icecold, I clearly said on the 11th post that he should do an extra weights session :mad:

Soldato
P.S. icecold, I clearly said on the 11th post that he should do an extra weights session :mad:

I know there's been some unhelpful posts in this thread which have annoyed you, but i think you need to calm before you post something that gets you in trouble.

What did icecold do? He gave the same advice you did? Is that really such an offence?

Soldato
I know there's been some unhelpful posts in this thread which have annoyed you, but i think you need to calm before you post something that gets you in trouble.

What did icecold do? He gave the same advice you did? Is that really such an offence?

I was just kidding with him, don't-cha worry :D

Soldato
You're probably in a 800-1000 calorie deficit per day. You may lose the weight you want to lose but you won't look very good when you get down to your target weight, you'll be losing significant amounts of muscle as well as fat, which obviously isn't deal in the long run.

The best idea would be to follow a high protein diet and doing heavy compound exercises, but you'll still lose a lot of muscle. I'm 5"10 and weigh 76kg, after recently cutting down from 83.5kg I don't think I look very good and this is after 1 year of lifting 5 days a week.

Associate
OP
Go on then, let's look at his OP:

Oh wait, so he says isolation won't help but still wants to attempt some isolation. Okay cool. But does sort of go against what you're saying.....

Not really - I wasn't suggesting that isolation will help with fat loss.

I am suggesting that abs work will help to tone my core, improve posture and pull my stomach in. Not expecting it to burn any fat off of my stomach specifically. Well aware that fat loss doesn't work like that

Thanks for the advice so far.

Seems like the obvious steps are to ensure diet stays on track (be militant about it), add some seriously HIGH intensity training, and add some more weights work.

Keep it coming

Thanks
Aaron

Man of Honour
Sounds like a good plan.

What "ab" work are you planning?

If you post your diet up, people might be able to find some areas to tweak.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with training abs, it would be worse to neglect them, but obviously this won't reduce fat on your stomach and you won't have visible abs when you reach your target weight.

You do need to be militant about your diet, it's worth working out exactly what you eat each day as far as protein, carbs, fats and calories go and tracking it in a spreadsheet, it's what I do any way.

Soldato
I'm not against ab work in itself, but I think focusing on it within an 8 week window without really hitting the rest of the muscle groups as well isn't going to achieve much :) A big strong back will help your posture, pull your shoulders back, and there's lots of soft tissue work you can do for that.

I'd do ab work relative to how much free weight work you're doing. Get a 3 day split going with 20 minute incline walking afterwards. Do your squats, OHP and deadlifts etc, brace your core during all of these. By all means do some ab isolation as well, but this shouldn't be your focus point :)

What's your weight routine?

What's your daily diet?

These are the most important pieces for us to get understand, as weightloss is primarily calorie in take related.

Soldato
Yeah any extra ab work should definitely be done on top of, not instead of other things, if you're main focus is weight loss. At worst it'll be a bit of extra cardio.

Associate
OP
Hey Monkee

I get what you are saying - I wasn't going to just target abs, instead build it into existing work out.

So my average week looks like this.

Mon: AMInterval or 5k Run. PM: Bootcamp class
Tues: AM - Hour with PT - very hard work, usually compound moves on big muscle groups: PM Spin or Interval run.
Wed: Weights (see below) PM: Fat burning class and Circuits class.
Thur: Weights (see below) PM: Spin, 5k or intervals.
Fri: Weights (see below)
Sat: Rest day
Sun: AM Box Fit PM: Long run (need to keep this as I am training for half marathon)

My weights session currently includes;
Chest: Bench press
Legs: Squats
Arms: Bicep curls
Tricep: tricep extensions with cable pushdowns
Back: Bent over row
Abs: Abs crunch.

Diet
Average day looks like this.

Breakfast: Muesli or porridge with skimmed milk, or a banana and oats smoothy.
Mid morning snack: handful of cashews or a piece of fruit.
Lunch: Usually a salad with lean meat, salmon or tinned tuna
Afternoon snack: Nuts, fruit or oat bar.
Evening Meal: Varies, often grilled chicken with salad, or stir fry, maybe roast chicken with roast veg.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Aaron

Caporegime
If you want to do 1 routine each time (to keep things simple) then how about:

squats
hang cleans to push press
chins
dips / bench press

It will cover all the main compounds and also hit your core and tris/bis

Soldato
If you do the same weights session for 3 days in a row then your muscles simply won't have time to grow and recover from the previous session. Search for a 3 day split, some thing along the lines of chest, tri's and shoulders/calfs, quads and hams/upperback, lower back and bi's.

Caporegime
If you do the same weights session for 3 days in a row then your muscles simply won't have time to grow and recover from the previous session. Search for a 3 day split, some thing along the lines of chest, tri's and shoulders/calfs, quads and hams/upperback, lower back and bi's.

That's not strictly true, HST has you working the same muscles (slightly different exercises) 3 times a week (my workout was 3 times a week anyway) and saw strength go up and mass come on.

Back
Top Bottom