Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Have a look at how to videos on youtube. It's not overly difficult to do yourself.

Agree with above - really a 5 minute job.

Took it to the shop, never been to the one i went to before, guy was really good. He sorted then rear derailleur out quite quickly, he said some angle thingy was out and the derailleur was a little loose. He also kindly took my front derailleur off cleaned it up, re-lubbed it and the gears change very nicely now :)
Cost all of £10

Also noticed he does rear suspension servicing for £50 sommet so will get him to do that when i need it.

Soldato
aaaaah

dont know what to do

XL or L sized santa cruz nickel? im 6"2 and like jumps and berms but need to be able to ride up hills too

also lime green with white forks and bars or white with white forks and bars?

SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO FOR GODS SAKES !

Soldato
I've got an annoying intermittent creak that only occurs when I pedal that sounds like its coming from the bottom bracket. However if I take the chain off and spin the pedals the bearings in the bottom bracket all sound smooth and fine. I've checked all the bolts around the chain rings and they seem tight enough but I can't seem to find the source of it! Is it likely to be a failing bottom bracket or have I missed something stupid? How easy is it to remove/replace the bottom bracket if needs be?

I had this exact same problem. Mine sounded kind of like a ball-bearing dropping and bouncing on a hard surface. I just ignored it an eventually it went away. Probably not the best course of action - The BB is probably shot and will fail at the worst time.

Soldato
aaaaah

dont know what to do

XL or L sized santa cruz nickel? im 6"2 and like jumps and berms but need to be able to ride up hills too

Large, im on a medium Nomad and 5"10, i went for green frame and white forks, with bits of red, looks ace.

Associate
@Andelusion

Have you had chance to try your Dampfs out as of yet?

I know you mentioned earlier in the thread you was running RQ's on your other bike - which do you prefer out of the two ? the dampfs or RQ's and are your RQ's 2.2's ?

Thanks

Soldato
I prefer the hds at the moment, they seem to roll very fast and offer more rear wheel grip and my rear 2.2 rq. This is my gut reaction however I've been riding the hds a lot recently (they're on my ht) so I may be a bit skewed. They're certainly a lot lighter than my ust rqs and I've had no punctures yet.

Soldato
aaaaah

dont know what to do

I'm 6'2" and always have that same decision with frame buying on the size L or XL.

I'd avoid a white bike though, they look good up until you ride it for the first time.

Soldato
I'm 6'2" and always have that same decision with frame buying on the size L or XL.

I'd avoid a white bike though, they look good up until you ride it for the first time.

which did you choose?

its annoying I have to order online to get it cheap, but no one round here sells SC so cant test one out :(

edit : or the turner flux? always wanted a turner bit is it too xc?

what other frames for £1000? i have 120mm travel forks

Last edited:
Soldato
aaaaah

dont know what to do

Well I'm pretty much 6' and I ride a medium.

Get the large... and push the geometry out a bit, stick a longer stem on it if needs be, you'll be fine.

Soldato
Surely it's the opposite?
Short stem = twitchy
long stem = slow + cumbersome

Sorry, I should have explained a bit more what I meant.
I'm referring to descending ability. A shorter stem is more responsive, but while descending, a short stem gets your elbows out and in the attack position as opposed to upright/elbows locked position you are with a long stem.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had this exact same problem. Mine sounded kind of like a ball-bearing dropping and bouncing on a hard surface. I just ignored it an eventually it went away. Probably not the best course of action - The BB is probably shot and will fail at the worst time.

I had another play last night and am not convinced its the bottom bracket. I took my chain device wheel off and it seemed to stop, but as its intermittent its hard to tell. Going to strip the cranks and chain rings off tonight, clean them all and try again. If that doesn't sort it, it must be the bottom bracket!

Soldato
You have a bike that's too small for you Matt.
Longer stem = rubbish twitchy handling

You reckon? I get your point about what you put about the descending bit... but I've ridden a large Pitch and I found it just felt too big, like I was perched on top of it and that it seemed very slow and cumbersome compared to my medium.

I stick the longer stem on so that it gets the bars to what I reckon is about the right place for me - and most people from Glentress should attest to me not exactly being slow on the descents ;)

(awaits lots of comments about how slow and rubbish I am....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom