BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Openreach engineer turned up here this morning as scheduled, played around at the exchange for a couple of hours and announced he couldn't get it working. Second failure in the cabinet apparently. Annoying to say the least...

We migrated my boss to FTTC last week and the next day one of the cards in the cabinet died, so he lost service for a day :D

Associate
due to be installed today, between 8am - 1pm, its now 12.30! getting a bit worried that he wont show up and do the install.. my girlfriend is home and has to leave at 1:20, not sure that will give the guy enough time to install infinity?

Associate
nope they never turned up, girlfriend has gone to work, got through to call centre and spoke to a lady after half an hour of waiting, aparently they were busy so an engineer was not assigned to the install today, but can still do it anytime between now, and 6pm, i said i can come home if they call me 10mins before the engineer arrives, and the lady says that he will have my number but will probably not call me, just put it on the system as no one at home...

im going to cancle the order altogether tomorrow morning if this is not sorted out today, been waiting 3 weeks for the damn apointment as it is! and even if they do call me, means me missing out on a few hours pay at work, which im sure BT will not reimburse, but ofcourse if i was not in and they turned up they would charge me £80 fee :/

I have a feeling im going to get home tonight, with no working broadband at all (Currently on BE), and end up waiting 1-2 weeks before they can get a guy out to my house to finish the install.

Last edited:
Associate
Just had mine installed by a very nice chap.

I am 200m away from the cab and sync at 74 down 14 up :)

He was rushing off to cover another appointment that was booked but had no engineer assigned, said it is quite common but they usually manage to cover it.

So far I have had nothing but polite top rate service and I hope it stays that way !

Associate
Takes the biscuit! i will be fuming if i get home and i am without internet altogether, what do they do in your home anyway? cant they just do the work on the green cab, and i plug the home hub 3 in myself? Have heard the egineer brings a seperate modem that you plug into your home hub 3, is that true?

What are the chances of me having no internet today when my mac code has been used and should be on bt as of today?

Caporegime
Takes the biscuit! i will be fuming if i get home and i am without internet altogether, what do they do in your home anyway? cant they just do the work on the green cab, and i plug the home hub 3 in myself? Have heard the egineer brings a seperate modem that you plug into your home hub 3, is that true?

What are the chances of me having no internet today when my mac code has been used and should be on bt as of today?

Don't worry about it, getting stressed won't help. Just do as you said, ring and cancel whenever you get home. They won't care so why should you.

Associate
Don't worry about it, getting stressed won't help. Just do as you said, ring and cancel whenever you get home. They won't care so why should you.

would have thought companies would care losing a customer that would have been with them 18months, but what do i know? Only getting stressed about it because it was all soposed to be sorted today and im just worried about my current connection being cut-off and not having a working one for a few weeks. Not heard anything from them yet, and dont expect to tbh, will call them tonight when i get home from the gym and cancle the order and try my luck with sky. I know it will be BT again doing the install, but they dont deserve my custom after not being able to sort out an apointment booked well in advance without giving any notice to me prior.

Caporegime
would have thought companies would care losing a customer that would have been with them 18months, but what do i know? Only getting stressed about it because it was all soposed to be sorted today and im just worried about my current connection being cut-off and not having a working one for a few weeks. Not heard anything from them yet, and dont expect to tbh, will call them tonight when i get home from the gym and cancle the order and try my luck with sky. I know it will be BT again doing the install, but they dont deserve my custom after not being able to sort out an apointment booked well in advance without giving any notice to me prior.

Yes you are quite correct it should have been sorted today and in most cases it is, though not all. Unfortunatly for yourself you have fallen into the latter which could have been for a multitude of reasons none of which will ease your understandable frustration at this time. Best bet is to go to the gym and take it out there rather than down the phone at this time, the person on the other end won't really care esp. in your stressed state (you need to go down different avenues for anything to happen). If you stand by your decision to cancel it's always better done in a calm frame of mind and always remember to ask for anything agreed in writing.

Associate
Anyway i called them up before i left work to have another word, and aparently the engineer is still coming today, between 1 and 6, and that he is just on another job, so i have missed the gym and come home to be in for when he arrives... He has 25minutes left? Place your bets!

Soldato
Anyway i called them up before i left work to have another word, and aparently the engineer is still coming today, between 1 and 6, and that he is just on another job, so i have missed the gym and come home to be in for when he arrives... He has 25minutes left? Place your bets!

Only installation I've had from BT recently is a phoneline (previous occupiers severed the existing one). They sent a contractor from Kelly Group around halfway through the time slot, he was done in about 90 minutes and the line was active and working for calls instantly. The next day I had working broadband courtesy of Be*.

Associate
Got a weird FTTC line atm. Only had it installed 4 days now but my speeds are strange. Nearly all speedtests are rubbish, the BT one gave me 8Mbps Down and 0.52Mbps up, and various locations on speedtest.net see me from 12-60Mbps and always around 2.3Mbps up.
With that said I downloaded ~2GB through Steam immediately after that BT speedtest and had 7.7MB/s max and never dropping below 7MB/s.
Steam download location was UK - Manchester.

I dont know if I've a problem or not as my speedtests are absolute tosh, but my actual download speeds appear fine.
I'll keep an eye on it though and make a descision after the 10th day.

Soldato
Delivering fibre cabling is one thing, having the backend infrastructure to handle the consumer traffic is another. Fibre is still contended, and with higher speeds plus the take-up I expect to see congestion being a problem in the near future if it isn't already.

Aside from which, with FTTC you're still on last mile VDSL2 which is adaptive, hell BT could set it to 5Mbps to toy with you and you'd have no recourse (due to the non-guaranteed headline speed).

Back
Top Bottom