Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
rode it home from work and couldnt hear the creaking noise. so might not have been the crack causing the creaking, maybe something silly like the seat or mudgaurds.
Got a picture of the crack:
P1060364.jpg

your going to need an original proof of purchase for that to be warranted, good luck finding it mate :)

Soldato
To weld an aluminium frame it needs to be heat treated again after welding. Otherwise it's liable to just crack again near the welded section.

edit: Most bike frame have butted tubing, so anymore than 5 inches into the seat tube and your seatpost will probably no longer be touching the inside of the tube.

Soldato
I have had a read on heat treating aluminium and must say i got lost. Will speak to my dad over the weekend.

Regards to the seat port not touching the tube after 5 inchs is it likely to cause an issue? Will cut the seat post tomorrow if it will.

Happy the crack isntt to big on the frame, only need a year or two out of the frame before i get another bike so hopefully will get fixed and stay fixed !

Associate
Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a new hardtail in a couple of months time and wondered if anyone could recommend or suggest a bike for a budget of around £700?

Thanks

Soldato
Thats not mine just a picture to show the weld i was on about.
(Picture now added)

I did have a scan over it when i got it and didnt notice any cracks

Just measured the seat post, i have 8 inchs sticking out and about 6 1/2 inch inside the frame. My friend said lowering the seat post might prolong the life of the frame as it wont have as much pressure on it.

Ah yeah sorry, musn't have read it properly first time :rolleyes:

Glad that your frame isn't as bad as that first picture :p

Associate
Hi there, didn't want to start a new thread for this but can anyone recommend a good bicycle tool kit, you know the one you can get that you take with you incase of puncture you have a pump and a repair kit in a wee bag that clips to your frame ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom