Casey Stoner to retire end of season

Associate
I first remember watching him in the British 125gp @Donny back in the late 90's at a BSB meeting and he won by over half a lap! a proper talent back then and will be sorely missed for his abilities. But as stated already, MotoGP is boring and the introduction of the CRT bikes imo is a major step back, this should be a premier class and prototype bikes only.

Associate
If that's the reason, or at least one of the major contributing factors then Stoner gets my respect for sticking to his words, and as a young wealthy man with very little to prove (IMO - I'm well aware there are still doubters) I can't blame him for not wanting to be dragged all over the world for a sport that he doesn't view the same way as I do. I can't begin to imagine what it's like being in the eye of that particular hurricane - not pleasant I'd imagine.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
He's given a multitude of reasons but i think tis pretty clear CRT was the straw that broke the camels back.

Asked to elaborate on the reasons for his decision, he denied the birth of his first child Alessandra in February had been a pivotal factor.

The dumbing down of rules to let tweaked 1000cc production engines to race in MotoGP was a factor, further removing the series away from its prototype ethos.
“I've been watching this championship a long time and it is very easy to see what works and what doesn't.

"This championship and everything I've done to get here has been a huge dream of mine and then to realise a lot of things, whether it's people having no faith in you or people not believing in your talent or the changes that have happened to the championship.

"2009 was a big eye-opener to me, everyone still until this day says it was a mystery illness, the fact that no one understands that I have a lactose intolerance, which is really critical, it just takes all my energy and stops me from absorbing nutrients. No one listened to me on that. Many things over time have taken their toll.

"The direction I see the championship heading and the fact that in 2009 I realised what was important and that's family and happiness. Money isn't everything. I think that I am one of the few riders who can actually say they have retired when they have stopped enjoying it.

"My passion has slowly ebbed away from this championship. It is not the championship I fell in love with. It is not the championship I always wanted to race in. This is a MotoGP championship, this is a prototype championship.

"People can talk about the past with it starting as standard machines and progressed to prototype machines, now we are taking the opposite step and going backwards.

"There are many, many different reasons, but it is basically me losing my passion for the racing and my enjoyment of this sport. For sure I will enjoy it this year but for sure if I continued it would only be a mistake on my behalf. It wouldn't be correct to Honda and my team if I didn't give 110%.

"I've loved bikes, this is my whole life and if I keep doing it I'm afraid I'm going to lose my passion and not want to go near a bike for the next 10 years, and that would scare me, "said Stoner.

Taken from MCN clicky clicky

Associate
Motogp needs an overhaul, agreed.

But, i want too see cutting edge bikes from ALL major bike manufactures but unfortunately there isnt the money around to fund this, so its seems.

However CRT bikes just dont do it for me, far too tame.

Back
Top Bottom