Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
All you need for puncture repair TBH.

I always leave the puncture repair kit at home and take a spare tube with me instead.
It's horrible trying to fix a puncture at the side of the trail with a repair kit especially if it's raining, it's almost impossible to dry the tube and keep the glue dry if you dont have any shelter. Then you have to wait around for a bit after for the glue to set when all you want to do it get home to the warmth.

Get a pump, tyre levers and a couple of spare tubes. Repair any punctured tubes properly when you get home and pop them back in your bag as a spare.

Associate
Soldato
Why not take both? I do.

Yeah, thats probably a good idea.
I usually take at least 2 spare tubes anyway. For me, the extra weight + bulk of a couple of tubes is worth it for the much easier repair of punctures. A repair kit is so small and light tho, so you could easily take one as well just incase you use up all your spare tubes.

Associate
The first question would be, what will you be using it for and where? Once you answer that it will narrow down your choices a little.

I'd guess I'd be using it for fairly general purpose bridleway and singletrack, and then every so often taking it to a trail centre like Hamsterley or Dalby forest to take on some red and black routes... Helpful?

Soldato
Had a play on a mates Zesty earlier on, and I think I may have just decided to save and buy one. Not sure whether I'd prefer the 314 or the 514 though. Carbon framed bike for £2900 seems a bit good though.

Soldato
Get a pump, tyre levers and a couple of spare tubes. Repair any punctured tubes properly when you get home and pop them back in your bag as a spare.

True, This is what I would do as well. Much easier.

This, although you could get some self-adhesive patches like these: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/park-gp2-super-item14178.html (you will have to buy tyre levers separately)
Saves a lot of hassle fixing the puncture I find.

I have heard of people having problems with the self adhesive which is why I use the Toptip stuff. Old Skool is sometimes the best :p

One tip when using patches - I always found it easier to semi inflate the tube before putting the patch on. Every time I have it totally flat and add the patch, when I inflate it the damn patch leaks as it stretches :(

Also, don't worry about peeling the backing off the patch as this can lift the edge of the patch again. Just inflate it with the backing on IMHO :)

Soldato
Use nothing but the Park Tool self adhesive patches, never had one fail. Pack of them, pump, tyre levers and a spare tube will see me through even the most puncture ridden day or weekend of riding.

Associate
May sound silly but I'm after a kids seat to attach to my Canyon Nerve AM. I want it to be able to sit on top of my top tube in between the seat and handle bars. Anyone got any experience in these kind of set ups?

Associate
kanga_3.jpg

792.jpg

794.jpg

Theses sorta things, guess im just going to have to try n send back if they dont fit :/ . Wanna get me lil lad into riding early so he gets used to it and will be a pro downhill rider in like 16 years time :D ;) :)

Associate
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom