BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Well it looks like the work bt were doing down the road from my house was enabling fttc, now I just have to convince my dad to upgrade from our crappy broadband connection. Any ideas how to win him over? :p

Associate
^ Being able to download inappropriate adult movies faster should seal the deal.
That or tell him you have to upgrade because BT are removing the Legacy network (ADSLMax) where 21CN WBC exists (ADSL2+ and FTTC/P). So you have to upgrade or lose the internet, of sorts.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Well it looks like the work bt were doing down the road from my house was enabling fttc, now I just have to convince my dad to upgrade from our crappy broadband connection. Any ideas how to win him over? :p

How much are you paying at the moment?

Associate

Ask him to ask for an upgrade on the same price plan and see where you get to..I upgraded from Option 3 ADSL to Infinity 2 for the same cost, albeit with a contract extension (but I wasn't swapping anyway) and £6.95. So if you are able to get it it can be almost no real cost to get it.

Now I did get overcharged the first bill, they put the charge up, as one part of BT doesn't appear to always know what the other bit is doing, but via live chat it was sorted out ok in the end.

Soldato
I'd like some advice on how likely I am to be able to get Infinity installed in my flat. I attempted once before to get it but had an installation problem due to BT apparently being unable to relocate my master socket for some reason which was never fully explained to me. This lead to me to cancel my planned migration and continue with my ADSL2 connection with O2.

I can't make any sense of the wiring so any help would be great. This is how it's been left by the builders of my development of flats seven years ago.

My BT Master socket is located in my fuse cupboard by my front door as pictured below.

IMG_0270.jpg

This is what is inside the double gang socket above the BT Master socket covered by the blanking plate. The dark grey cable runs into the BT Master socket as pictured below. I'm assuming the lighter grey CAT5 cables are the other phone extension points from around the flat. The extension points I have are 2x Livingroom/1x Master bedroom/1x Single Bedroom/1x Hallway. The black cable at the top of the picture is the TV Aerial join.

IMG_0271.jpg

This is the inside of the BT Master Socket.

IMG_0274.jpg

I want ideally to move the master socket to my single bedroom as that’s were my I have my office and my current ADSL router is setup. I also don't want to lose the use of any of the extension sockets either.

Anyone able to help me out? :confused:

Caporegime
@Valo

I had my master socket moved from the main hallway (downstairs ... no surprise there) to upstairs. In my case as I had a socket in the same room as the PC it meant nothing more than changing a face plate and swapping a couple of wires on the ring circuit.

Soldato
Just got BT Infinity today.

Averaging:

Down: 20-28Mb/s
Up: 9 - 10Mb/s

Was surprised at the relatively slow downstream actually, given the estimate was about 52Mb/s. Maybe it's the BT powerline adaptors, I'm tempted to rock the laptop downstairs and hook up directly. (Edit: Ignore the laptop.. it's diabolically slow (like 0.89Mbps to 2Mbps connected directly to the hub lol. Maybe Xubuntu doesn't have correct drivers for ethernet chipset).

I tried BT's speedtest (Central plus) and got worse results with that lol. 24Mbps average, 5Mbps up. (maybe it's the time of day now). Ping was awful at 52ms lol. I was expecting it to be at 25ms or below.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been a few days since I got the free upgrade to infinity 2 (only got infinity late last year so have the new home hub etc)

That's over wifi, got 77 down 17 up over ethernet. Very pleased.

Soldato
Been a few days since I got the free upgrade to infinity 2 (only got infinity late last year so have the new home hub etc)

That's over wifi, got 77 down 17 up over ethernet. Very pleased.

Fab :) Very nice speeds. Very impressed by the wifi speed!

First improvement for mine.. just went downstairs and plugged the cable into the gigabit port on the HH3 :rolleyes:

Ooo: http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infin...0-will-slow-down-your-speed-a-lot/td-p/514205

Home plugs apparently slow the connection down. Hmm.. OK.. So I'll be wiring in a new cable then! (MUCH cheaper than new gigabit powerline adaptors.)

Last edited:
Associate
Hey All

I have my infinity at last.

My download speeds on usenet and the BT speed test are 78mb - but speedtest.net never gives me more than 50mb.

I thought this might be a limitation of my old iMac. However, tried it on my work Mac Book Pro and it was just as slow

Any ideas?
Aaron

Soldato
Hey All

I have my infinity at last.

My download speeds on usenet and the BT speed test are 78mb - but speedtest.net never gives me more than 50mb.

I thought this might be a limitation of my old iMac. However, tried it on my work Mac Book Pro and it was just as slow

Any ideas?
Aaron

A lot of the test servers for me won't max out my connection, only one of the London ones will. Try a few other servers.

Soldato
Had my homehub just completely die on Friday, PSU was fine but unit was dead, opening it up gave that lovely smell of burnt electronics. Annoyingly as I only noticed when I got home from work they couldn't send a new one until Monday. Expecting it today.

Sure I have seen other people mention homehubs overheating before?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
The modems can overheat, mount it on the wall if you can it keeps it a lot cooler. Thats how i have mine and it barely gets warm let alone hot. :)

Not sure about the HH's but i'm sure its possible.

Back
Top Bottom