anyone get a 5d mk3 ?

Soldato
I had one ordered but in the end changed my mind and got the 7D. Will wait for the mk3 to be sub 2k though before i get one. Its truely a superb camera and i cant wait really!!

Soldato
you happy with the upgrade ... ?

Yeah, the mk3 is a great camera. The focusing system is one of the biggest things and it really does make a difference for low light stuff.

There's lots of other little things that have been changed and added that make it a generally all round better camera for jobs. The silent shutter is fantastic as well as the dual card slots (great for instant backups on jobs).

If you're a photographer that takes photos for a living then it's a worthy upgrade, if it's for personal use then probably not. There was never anything really wrong with the mk2 in the first place, arguably the focus system being the main annoyance I guess.

If you like new toys and gear (who doesn't), and want something that feels next gen then it will satisfy that, it's a lovely camera.

Soldato
Aye, which is what is putting me off going to it before I REALLY need to. The ISO performance isn't a major upgrade which I was disappointed to hear but having a second card bay is definitely nice.

Little confused by that, do you know in the future that you will be doing something different that requires a 'need' that you don't have at the moment?

i.e. Do you know you will be shooting fast paced action and/or allot of low light stuff that you are not currently doing?

Caporegime
I WILL be getting one, my bonus/payrise coming up in the next couple of months will pay for it :)

Will be keeping the mk2 as a backup I think. Or I'll sell, I don't really know. Hmm...

Soldato
Little confused by that, do you know in the future that you will be doing something different that requires a 'need' that you don't have at the moment?

i.e. Do you know you will be shooting fast paced action and/or allot of low light stuff that you are not currently doing?

Depends if I get further into bird photography or not, which is currently number 1 on my type of photography at the moment. The hit rate with the 5D mk ii isn't the best on fast moving birds especially, however so far its not a major issue, hence not buying a mk iii yet.

Soldato
I think I'll need a little hands on time with the 3 before I upgrade from my 2. Whilst the AF update is welcome im a little disappointed that there hasn't been a bump in mp and a bigger leap in high ISO performance. If those had accompanied the general sprucing up then I'd have had one on release day, but 2.5 big ones is a lot to ***** on incremental updates. I'm still tempted by the d800e

Associate
I came very close to pulling the trigger on a mk3...I thought about it...thought about it...

...then bought a 1Ds2 instead. Go figure!

Last edited:
Associate
Seems very strange to me spending that much on a camera just for auto focus, would have thought if you were that into photography you would have mastered on manual focusing :S

Soldato
Seems very strange to me spending that much on a camera just for auto focus, would have thought if you were that into photography you would have mastered on manual focusing :S

Yes because using manual focus on a bird flying at you at high speed has a good hit rate doesn't it...

Daftest comment I've read in ages, congrats.

Caporegime
I'm still tempted by the d800e

I'm not buying another thing until I have made my mind up and I will make a decision in August when the new football season comes around, my 50d autofocus doesn't have a high enough keeper rate for my liking on the outside focus points.

I'm not that impressed with canons range lately, I hoped for an upgraded 7d by now. If nothing is on the horizon in August I will swap to Nikon and probably just plump for a d800. I only have two lenses to sell anyway my 17-55 and 70-200 and considering what they go for 2nd hand and what I spent I won't lose much. Oh and a speedlite.

Caporegime

Yes because using manual focus on a bird flying at you at high speed has a good hit rate doesn't it...

Daftest comment I've read in ages, congrats.

What James said.

I shoot primarily people/weddings. Constant moving targets, MF just isn't an option :)

I was thinking last night that I'd sell my Mk2 then buy a Mk3 and a 2nd hand Mk1 to have purely as a backup. It would never ever get used, but it'd help stomach the costs of the 3 :p

I can afford to keep the 3 and the 2 but it'd seem pointless considering how little the 2 would get used in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom