• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Windforce 3X Owners here?

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

As per title, can any owners of the above card let me know what temps & fan % you get at idle, and also full load, and in your opinion is it a noisy or quiet card when idle & under load?

Oh, and the same if you have any OCs on it too please.

Last edited:
Associate
I have 2 in xfire, idle temp is around 32C and is on 33% fan and is quiet. Load temps haven't gone above 70C but 2 are louder in xfire than stock I'd say. I've had louder cards and cant really notice the noise when gaming. I aint overclocked them yet as theres no need for me too.

Man of Honour
OP
I have 2 in xfire, idle temp is around 32C and is on 33% fan and is quiet. Load temps haven't gone above 70C but 2 are louder in xfire than stock I'd say. I've had louder cards and cant really notice the noise when gaming. I aint overclocked them yet as theres no need for me too.

Thanks metalmackey,

I guess then that the temps would be lower, and fans quieter in a single card situation, so it seems similar to the Windforce GTX670 that I'm thinking of sending back?

Associate
I dont know why but at stock speeds and auto fan my idle temperature is at 40 degrees...this doesnt sound ok for a silverstone raven 1 case...

Soldato
Thanks metalmackey,

I guess then that the temps would be lower, and fans quieter in a single card situation, so it seems similar to the Windforce GTX670 that I'm thinking of sending back?

Its the same basic design to the 670 edition so would presume the noise levels to be the same/similar. Also considering the 7970 windforce to replace my 670.

Man of Honour
OP
I dont know why but at stock speeds and auto fan my idle temperature is at 40 degrees...this doesnt sound ok for a silverstone raven 1 case...

Something not right there? I too have a Silverstone case, the FT02B-W

Its the same basic design to the 670 edition so would presume the noise levels to be the same/similar. Also considering the 7970 windforce to replace my 670.

That is what I was hoping for tbh, and just got the DSR/RMA number today, so will be going back I think, I'll have a plump on the Windforce 7970, don't want to take the risk that this stuttering business may/may not be sorted, and months down the line at that!

Soldato
In exactly the same boat, nvidias comment on the problem is a little vague.

What ever I get will be watercooled anyhow, but oc edition + UK rma base could seal it for going with the windforce.

Associate
Rough and ready figures from Afterburner: 33C/23% idle, 61C/40% load - 99% GPU usage, although that was only one quick bench I suspect it would heat up a good deal more if I gave it longer, although even arfter hours non-stop gaming I still haven't heard the fans above the others in my case.

Man of Honour
OP
Rough and ready figures from Afterburner: 33C/23% idle, 61C/40% load - 99% GPU usage, although that was only one quick bench I suspect it would heat up a good deal more if I gave it longer, although even arfter hours non-stop gaming I still haven't heard the fans above the others in my case.

Thanks for the info, it seems the 7970 runs a little hotter than the 670, which is what I thought based on information available, I'm normally at 28c / 20% idle and 58c / 38% load 99% usage, so just slightly under the 7970. And anything under 40% I can't tell the difference to idle, and ok upto about 50% (I have a nice quiet system).

So it seems like the 2nd quietest high end option really, which I can deal with, can't stand noisy systems.

Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom