Adventurous Car/iPhone modification...

Associate
Ok hear me out...

I've got a car with a pop up 7" LCD - it hosts a frankly quite poor sat nav system and I would like to be able to use something else but without attaching stuff to my windscreen... I like the integration of the pop-up screen having everything I need.

Here's where it gets interesting... :D I was playing around with my iPhone and Apple TV2 combo at home last night and found, with AirPlay Mirroring, I could display a satnav system such as TomTom or Waze hosted on my iPhone via my TV. So this got me thinking...

The Apple TV2 unit itself is very small indeed - and perhaps the HMDI output could be translated onto an LCD screen that can replace my existing in car screen. I could get a small wifi router and host them both, as a pair, together in the car. My iPhone would then connect to the in-car wifi and use airplay mirroring to display in the car :o - I could control the satnav etc via in-car my screen and the touch screen on the mobile (I have it down by my side in the ashtray section of my centre console).

In exploratory interests, these issues need to be solved, in order of priority:

* iPhone connects to WiFi point to access the Apple TV - at that point it would lose 3G via it's own network connection. As far as I know, no capability exists to use 3G for internet and WiFi... Blocker :eek:. (MiFi separate 3G connection? More expensive... not ideal)
* Does AirPlay mirroring automatically output sound? I would like to continue to use the apple port line-out on the base of the iPhone even when AirPlay is active? :confused:
* Apple TV outputs 720p/1080p HDMI - I could get a replacement 7" LCD screen to sit in the same place as the existing one to accept this input but I still want to be able to switch to my old in-car system (as it has some car settings here) so will need to translate old signal to new HDMI input (OR new signal into older input), easy?
* Apple TV takes a 240v supply - I assume this is transformed down to 12v inside the AppleTV - I could remove this circuit, no issues here?
* Any wifi router/mifi point will probably use a transformer down to 12v or so, shouldn't be a problem?
* Remote control isn't an issue - As a last resort I can place the apple TV in a semi-accessible place so I can use the original remote (Or relocate the original IR receiver on an extension cable)... but iPhone has a wifi remote that can do if they're on the same wifi network. :)

So OcUK - Am I being crazy? :p

Back
Top Bottom