New Sound Card Advice

Associate
After a new sound card for my 5.1 setup.

Has to be PCI. Not sure what to get.

I have been use to the Xtremegamer and its settings, CMSS3D.

Does the Asus cards have such feature etc?

Any advice would be great

Soldato
You could get either a second hand Xtreme Music, or an SB0770, which is a PCI version of the Titanium. Just having a look, it seems they are not as common as they once were. There were quite a lot on the famous auction site at one point, now there are very few it seems.

If you are used to an Xtreme Gamer, you may find the budget Xonar offerings lacking. A few people have found the DG in particular, is a downgrade in sound quality from a Xtreme Music or Gamer.

A Xonar D1 would be a good choice, if can't get hold of another X-Fi.

Associate
OP
I basically want something thats as good as the Xtremegamer or better. I suppose better is the best option.

I have been looking at the D1. I like the features the X-fi had. Crystalizer, CMSS3D etc.

Associate
OP
Dont think i can access it?

What do people reccommend card wise?

Whats the next step up from the Xtremegamer on the Creative Cards?

Edit: I could use a PCI-Express card. Currently have a NIC card in there, but could use PCIE for the sound and then a PCI for the NIC.

If this helps with reccomending cards?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, like i mentioned above. I currently have a NIC in the PCIE Slot, but, when i remove the Xtremegamer card from the PCI slot, i can insert a PCI NIC card and then use the PCIE For the soundcard

Soldato
Well it's got a newer chip than the Xtreme Music/Gamer. Which is a EMU202K, whereas the Xtreme Music/Gamer had an EMU201K. That doesn't really equate to a great deal of difference really. Essentially, they are very similar. Same features, same sound quality. The Titanium is a great sound card though, just as the Xtreme Music/Gamer was/were.

Associate
OP
I stumbled accross the modded drivers for Realtek which include X-Fi elements.

Really does improve the onboard sound, well it has for me. Think i will still invest in a soundcard though. Suppose i can bare listening to music etc again in the meantime!

Still stuck between the Titanium and the DX/D1

Soldato
Am i right in thinking the Creative SoundBlaster Recon3D PCI-E Soundcard isn't as good as it makes out?

Not really. Reviews have not been favourable. Either a D1/X or a Titanium would be the better buy.

D1/X sounds better according to some people who moved to one from a Titanium. That's a personal preference though. Not everyone will find the D1/X better sounding. It's impossible to say really, as we all have varying likes and dislikes, opinions, etc.

As you like the features the X-Fi has to offer, I'd suggest a Titanium. It's certainly the safer bet.

Back
Top Bottom