I just bought a house!

Associate
Chimney removed, stolen more like ;) Where is it, looks like Beighton??

10 years ago I had an offer accepted on a 3 bed mid-terrace for 30k (just off Bramall Ln).

Congratulations Jay794 now get skimming that ceiling.

Just noticed your parents live in Dronfield, that's where we live now!

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Soldato
Looks like a solid buy to me, lots of potential.

Just needs some paint and flooring really for most of it, and light fixtures. Easy stuff. That alone makes a huge difference. Then the kitchen/bathroom is the most work, I would leave those to last.

Stripping wallpaper is an absolute MFer though. Looks like it could be that vinyl stuff you can simply peel off if your lucky.

Soldato
OP
Went to see the kitchen this morning (it's still being built)

The designer had a plan for us to look at, best part?

£800! lol closing up shop F T W!

Well its currently is £800 but we've asked for a few changes, so we can fit the fridge in and we hadn't decided on a work top.

Even so thats like what? another £200?

Bathroom is staying as is, except we're removing the carpet and adding a shower.

Plasterer is in this week pretty much doing the whole house, and skimming the artex

Now I just gotta get the Mrs to decide on a carpet

Chimney removed, stolen more like ;) Where is it, looks like Beighton??

10 years ago I had an offer accepted on a 3 bed mid-terrace for 30k (just off Bramall Ln).

Congratulations Jay794 now get skimming that ceiling.

Just noticed your parents live in Dronfield, that's where we live now!

Yeah I'm currently living at home until the house is finished, what part of Dronny do you live in? and the house is in Chesterfield, near the hospital a little too close to the in-laws if I'm honestly, but then my parents are only 15 minutes away

Last edited:
Soldato
I am envious of your postition. I am a first time buyer looking for a property right now, its quite exciting though. Got a second viewing on a place that we liked next week so things are starting to hot up.

Soldato
Congrats. Very jealous of how much house you can get for your money up north!

1638089.jpg

Permabanned
Jay794 said:
Best part is, in a few years it will be worth way more than what I paid for it

If theres a buyer and if the prices don't drop, yeh. I know someone who said the same as you, did a lot of work and can't sell it as they are asking too much for people want to buy it for. They still live there because they can't shift it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I know all that, but it's not like I'll be selling anytime soon, I plan on living there for a while, especially since I just got a new job in Sheffield, until my wage goes up I won't be going anywhere, the house is walking distance to my girlfriends place of work, and Sheffield is only about 25 minutes away

Soldato
As a general rule of thumb I find that you only make back what you spend on a house... if the house needed it.

For example if you buy a house and the bathroom is perhaps a little tired, but clean, serviceable and certainly not grotty - then you will lose money by doing it up. Likewise, and more so for the kitchen, because appliances immediately depreciate. Gas central heating you get your money back on, double glazing too - although for both of those you lose money if you're replacing a serviceable installation.

Man of Honour
As a general rule of thumb I find that you only make back what you spend on a house... if the house needed it.

For example if you buy a house and the bathroom is perhaps a little tired, but clean, serviceable and certainly not grotty - then you will lose money by doing it up. Likewise, and more so for the kitchen, because appliances immediately depreciate. Gas central heating you get your money back on, double glazing too - although for both of those you lose money if you're replacing a serviceable installation.

Hopefully, have just bought a house that needs gas central heating putting in :)

Back
Top Bottom