Dealing with a stinking wheelie bin?

Associate
Chicken carcass goes into wheelie bin on Thursday, for collection on Friday. Bin failed to go out and now it is 2 weeks until it is collected. As you can imagine, with this weather it is starting to stink something hideous.

Is there anything I can do to neutralise the smell without having to go digging it out?

*Remembers this is GD*
It must not destroy the wheelie bin or the collection truck/bin men, so no fire, explosives, exotic chemicals that can dissolve plastic etc etc :p

Man of Honour
Keep the lid closed? Even if it smells, if the lid is closed fully then it won't be a problem. Flies dont have strong arms capable of lifting.

Also as said above, you should bag things fully.

Once the bin is emptied, you could probably clean it out with the hosepipe and bleach to get rid of any lingering smells.

Soldato
Do what I do every couple of months.

For starters, everything usually goes into black bags anyway, so that reduces mess and smell in the bin most of the time

Then when it has been emptied, now and then I will empty a bottle of bleach into it, give it a good clean, then add a lot of hot soapy water and clean it out then wheel the bin down the drive and empty into the drain on the road.

keeps my bin smelling nice and looking pretty clean.

Soldato
Two weeks for collection.:eek: It's every week here.

Dig a deep hole empty contents from bin & burn, then fill in hole.

Then use Jeyes fluid it's great for bin cleaning.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Two weeks for collection.:eek: It's every week here.

Dig a deep hole empty contents from bin & burn, then fill in hole.

Then use Jeyes fluid it's great for bin cleaning.

We get the recycling done one week and the general waste the next so if you miss it, you have to wait 2 weeks till they are back again.

Soldato
pine-tree-car-air-freshener.gif

2 or 3 of these :p

Back
Top Bottom