Monaco Grand Prix 2012, Monte Carlo - Race 6/20

Associate
I think Sky's coverage is improving, they need to get rid of Georgie Thompson though. Turns out Johnny Herbert's a decent pundit and much more interesting the Damon Hill.

I also rather liked the interviews on the parade lap.

Soldato
If its on the beeb I go there first now, I don't even record and watch the sky feed after anymore. I pay for the sky coverage but don't rate it at all. Luckily we have found so much more to watch anyway from the sub charge.

I now see it as I get the f1 for free because I would have got the he pack anyway.

I pay ~£5.50 (varies with exchange rates) for my Sky so the fact that the F1 coverage is sub-par compared to the BBC doesn't hurt much. If I were one of the suckers paying £30+ then I would be gutted.

Martin Brundle is such a sell out :(

Soldato
Yeah I heard that too. Wonder what it is. He & Mclaren tend to go well at Canada any way so have to wait and see after that.

It's brakes related. There's been some mutterings in recent races that JB has changed his braking materials to match those that Hamilton is using.

It could all be linked to the fact that McLaren are running a technology that lets them modify the amount of brake heat that is transferred into the wheel rim and hence tyre.

Soldato
JB's spin due to HK was shown on the BBC.

yeah it was shown once - rather than the endless repeats of slo-mo shots of cars going over the chicane :eek:

(french? Director needs to be shot lol)

It was interesting what John Button said about Jenson on the F1 Forum

* might not be exactly right

What else was said?

(I was thinking he was still struggling with using Lewis's brakes, which have been on his car for last two races I believe)

It's brakes related. There's been some mutterings in recent races that JB has changed his braking materials to match those that Hamilton is using.

yeah it was mentioned in passing at the last race, but nothing much has been said apart from that

Last edited:
Soldato
BBC F1 tries too hard to be a "top gear" type show, I don't watch much build up of either as they both tend to just talk rubbish or how much they want Lewis to win, please win Lewis, Lewis has to win blah blah blah.

Soldato
BBC F1 tries too hard to be a "top gear" type show, I don't watch much build up of either as they both tend to just talk rubbish or how much they want Lewis to win, please win Lewis, Lewis has to win blah blah blah.

have to say that was really annoying me during the race

Do they? Was Kimi signed as no1 in his contract? Alonso is no1 as he is the better driver, you are suggesting he is no1 because his contract says so?

Dont put words in my mouth btw, I dont appreciate it.
I never said alonso wasnt the better driver, but given how Ferrari always back one driver (and I never followed Ferrari /Kimi that much in detail, but Im pretty sure 99% of people would agree that Ferrari always have a No1 and No2 driver) over the other

Irrespective of the above, after the issues at McLaren, I still cant see Lewis agreeing to join Alonso at Ferrari now FA has the whole team wrapped around him as he has done for two/three seasons

Last edited:
Soldato
They only ever want the underdog to win and Lewis has been the underdog in their eyes for most of the season.

Their coverage is far more enjoyable to watch than Sky's. It doesn't take itself as seriously. Sky tries too hard.

Associate
I think Sky's coverage is improving, they need to get rid of Georgie Thompson though. Turns out Johnny Herbert's a decent pundit and much more interesting the Damon Hill.

I also rather liked the interviews on the parade lap.

Georgie and Anthony are awful to watch. Damon is cringe worthy as well. Johnny is surprisingly decent in comparison to other ex-drivers.

Brundle's replacement on the BBC also needs the chop whilst we're at it :p

Soldato
Dont put words in my mouth btw, I dont appreciate it.

LH will NEVER go to Ferarri with Alonso there (Im sure Alonso has it in his contract he is No 1 there, so it works massively in his favour for him if LH was to join) its not worth the risk.

I never put any words in your mouth, you clearly say Alonso has no1 in his contract. Which is what I questioned :confused: MS had a no1 contract when with Eddie but I don't think Ferrari have ever done it again, certainly not with Stefano in charge IMO. If Alonso had such a contract then he would not have been so mad in Australia 2010 when Felipe held him up, and in China when he barged past him in the pitlane, having a no1 contract would see Massa shuffle over, they did not move Felipe over until Germany by which time it was clear only Alonso had a chance at the title.

Every team favours one driver over the other, it's natural especially when one is better than the other, if Jenson does not score some points soon then you will see McLaren go with Lewis, Red Bull in 2010 even though Webber was in the hunt still went with Vettel etc etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Their coverage is far more enjoyable to watch than Sky's. It doesn't take itself as seriously. Sky tries too hard.

This!
BBC is great thanks to this very reason. Jake, David and Eddie never take themselves to seriously and it works very well. It also puts the drivers more at ease as they always seem more happy to talk to the BBC than Sky

MB and JH are more uptight and probably why they work well with Sky :p

Anyone find this funny? Sky presenting from that dinghy while the BBC were on the Redbull yacht.
With the extensive contacts list and money sky have and the best they could muster up was a dinghy! They really shouldn't have bothered.

Sky are good for that 30minutes extra broadcasting though and kindly reminding you to switch over when the adverts come on! :D

Associate
Sky were on the Red Bull floating motorhome thing plenty over the weekend, Brundle even got thrown in the pool. I wouldn't use that as a measure of success between Sky and the BBC. Sky had their own studio thing, as they do at every race, and they were floating about presenting from all over the place. Just because at 1 moment in time BBC were at RB and Sky weren't doesn't mean anything.

Associate
Sky have to make changes tbh, get rid of all of them. Brundle will bring some viewership, but he has said at time, he might give it up and focus on his sons racing. Sky should have gone with a new format, be daring, instead, they made a poor copy. I have Sky, but only watch the race when it isnt on BBC, i cant for the life of me understand why people seem to love the Sky coverage.

Soldato
I never put any words in your mouth, you clearly say Alonso has no1 in his contract. Which is what I questioned :confused: MS had a no1 contract when with Eddie but I don't think Ferrari have ever done it again, certainly not with Stefano in charge IMO.

You clearly forget all the times Barrichello let Schumacher through for the win. Ferrari have pretty much always used driver plus wingman.

Also, it makes no sense for you to say that Alonso would be less mad with Massa holding him up if Alonso was meant to be the lead driver. He'd be more mad if a guy who was meant to be getting out of the way wasn't doing so. We saw when Alonso was at McLaren with Hamilton that he wants to be the sole focus, and I have no doubt that Ferrari offered him at least preferential status.

Soldato
You clearly forget all the times Barrichello let Schumacher through for the win. Ferrari have pretty much always used driver plus wingman.

Also, it makes no sense for you to say that Alonso would be less mad with Massa holding him up if Alonso was meant to be the lead driver. He'd be more mad if a guy who was meant to be getting out of the way wasn't doing so. We saw when Alonso was at McLaren with Hamilton that he wants to be the sole focus, and I have no doubt that Ferrari offered him at least preferential status.

I have not forgot, Rubens never had a contract that said he was no2 like Irvine did, and all those times to let MS win? think Rubens moved 2/3 times for MS and only one was to let him win in Austria, and he was paid back by MS as well.

Ferrari is focused on Alonso, that's what they wanted him for, but it's not because his contract says so. If he holds a no1 contract then Massa would not be allowed to finish ahead of him when they can swap places, or hold him up and be allowed to race him. Alonso at McLaren never wanted sole focus, all he wanted was to be treated equal and not have his team boss be racing against him.....

I am not saying Ferrari like to have a clear no1, yes they do, but it's not done in a contract.

Last edited:
Soldato
Turns out Johnny Herbert's a decent pundit and much more interesting the Damon Hill.

For some reason I'm fairly convinced they had Herbert doing guest punditry not long after he stopped racing in 2000, but he was stilly trying to race in other categories and never got snapped up into itv's coverage (or the bbc).

Shame as he was always really good to listen to when someone found him at a race.

The Lewis stuff is fairly confined to Eddie to be fair, everyone else on the bbc side seems to remember there are 3 British drivers the viewers always want to know about... Either way the bbc have to do something to keep it interesting as they don't have the same type of technical people to get away with all the technical pre show stuff they used to do (or the money).

Caporegime
I think it's pretty clear Rubens had a no 2 contract. When he gave up second place at Austria in 2001 he stated that the team would never ask him to do it if he was leading.

12 months later Rubens was told to yield at Austria from the lead, this in a season where Ferrari was utterly dominant and had no challengers. Rubens finished the season 2nd on almost half as many points as Ms.

You would have to be deluded to believe Rubens had no number 2 contract. Why else would he make himself look a complete pillock.

Again I have no sympathy for him Irvine or any of the others if that's the way they want to sell out their careers, it's not michaels fault either if they take the very high wage to sell out their souls.

Back
Top Bottom