Doom™ 3 BFG Edition!

Soldato
My memory of Doom3 was that it killed my two Radeon 9800 cards (pro clocked to xt) I had to fork out for an X800pro to finished the game. I didnt like the game enough to play it through again though, even a revised version.

I remember doing the tricks to get it to decompress all of the textures whilst loading, so that my 9850 could load them ok whilst it played. It took absolutely forever to load a map, but was actually quite playable once it did. :o

Plus it's been changed so you can have a light and gun at the same time.
I can't believe so many people moaned about a gameplay mechanic. Ridiculous.

Soldato
To add to all other people's memories and nostalgia about this game, I remember back when this game first came out, I had a AMD 2800XP Barton, 1 GB RAM and ATI Radeon 9700 (Non-Pro, but overclocked to stock Pro speeds) and had to run the game on medium-ish settings. Wasn't until a few years later I had to replace the graphics card with an Nvidia 6800GT since my ATI card died that I was able to run the game fully, though load times were still such a pain.

Honestly though, my memories of this game were that it was kinda boring after a while. The out-of-the-closet scare tactic of monsters popping out does get very tiresome, and the dark lighting adds to the cheapness of it. Also at the time, Half Life 2 was out as well so I was quite split between the two games.

Soldato
I welcome this I really enjoyed Doom 3 on the xbox, quite liked the multiplayer as well.

Hopefully this means Doom 4 won't be far behind.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I can't believe so many people moaned about a gameplay mechanic. Ridiculous.

It was a completely ludicrous constraint to be fair. I appreciate it's not the most realistic of games, but were we really supposed to suspend disbelief on the notion that the army might have guns with integral lights, or that a roll of tape might be lying around somewhere?

kdd

kdd

Soldato
It was a completely ludicrous constraint to be fair. I appreciate it's not the most realistic of games, but were we really supposed to suspend disbelief on the notion that the army might have guns with integral lights, or that a roll of tape might be lying around somewhere?

There was a gaffa tape mod for pc.

Caporegime
I never understood why people moaned about the flashlight. It increased the tension in the game by the way it was. The game would have been no where near as scary if it wasn't.

I never completed the game as it bored me by the time I got to the delta labs.

Soldato
Heh, I remember the leaked alpha build. Was such an awesome moment in PC gaming history seeing the those visuals especially when you walk into the restroom and that big creature was eating that zombie.

Back
Top Bottom