Can a country (single carriageway) ever be a 70MPH?

Soldato
But yes, if there is a central reservation (defined as a section dividing the carriageways constructed of a different material than the road - grass, gravel, mud, but NOT JUST tarmac with paint), the speed limit for the road is 70mph for cars if the NSL applies.

I don't get how people can do a driving test and not know this stuff tbh, around here the is a dual carriageway with a grass verge in between the carriageways but no barrier (it was the first dual carriageway in the country so quite old) and the amount of people you see going down it at 60 or sometimes lower because their thick is silly (may also be because its horribly surfaced and in some corners the camber goes the wrong way but /meh :p)

Associate
Looking at the maps. I'm guessing it's the A76. It's the only road heading into Dumfries from our location if he was heading down to England.

http://goo.gl/maps/UDwy

Youre mate is wrong. The a76 has a bad rep, The Dumfries and Galloway Standard is regularly campaigning for it to be up upgraded.

And the a75 certainly isn't a 70 and I know at least one person who has been pulled for doing 70 on it.

Soldato
OP
Youre mate is wrong. The a76 has a bad rep, The Dumfries and Galloway Standard is regularly campaigning for it to be up upgraded.

And the a75 certainly isn't a 70 and I know at least one person who has been pulled for doing 70 on it.

Not that we need it but. Is there proof of this anywhere so I can shove it in his face?

Soldato
Does a grass divider make a road into a dual carriageway, or does it have to have a metal/concrete barrier?

Grass divider is fine. It doesn't have to have a physical barrier. This picture shows an entirely legitimate dual carriageway:

1594392_0921e28b.jpg

EDIT: Here's another road, grassy divider only. NSL, and so speed limit is 70mph.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom