Doom™ 3 BFG Edition!

Soldato
I don't think Doom 3 can really be considered nostalgic yet, its not that old. I played it back when it was first released on the PC and largely think it was quite forgettable.

The only bits that stood out for me were:

- The graphics were it's biggest selling point, it was the first shooter that had a somewhat photo realistic engine.

- The start of the game where everything first goes wrong and the floating skull thing appears. Playing that in the dark, it's a proper shock as it comes out of nowhere.

- The Soul Cube - Loved the way it whispered and then was devastating when you unleashed it, cool weapon.

Other than that, I remember most of the game as being quite repetitive.

Caporegime
I never understood why people moaned about the flashlight. It increased the tension in the game by the way it was. The game would have been no where near as scary if it wasn't.

The game was artificially scary because of it. They may as well have come up with a story that the marine was a massive wimp who had to close his eyes out of fear every time he happened upon a monster and thus had to fire blind. Same end result, surely. Besides...

adam cool dude said:
I never completed the game as it bored me by the time I got to the delta labs.

Ta da, point proved. The game wasn't all that great gameplay wise, as evidenced by silly things like the flashlight idiocy.

Soldato
They did a lot right with Doom 3 though. The atmosphere was spot on and consistent. The sounds were great. The 'feel' of the weapons was brilliant (the assault rifle is a pleasure to use). And it certainly stuck to its roots in terms of the Doom franchise, which I think was part of its downfall. People were starting to prefer tactical shooters and realism by the time Doom 3 rolled around, and that's just not what it delivered.

It's a different genre of shooter for a different genre of gamer, imo :)

Soldato
I can't believe D3 was 8 years ago, I built my first PC around the time it came out and used to think Ut2K4, Unreal 2 and Doom 3 looked incredible on my 9800 pro :D

I'd like to pick this up as it's fun to play in the dark, hope it's not expensive though,

Soldato
I cant remember whether I liked it or not.

I bought it on release day, and I remember playing it.

Probably means it was meh.

Soldato
Doom 3 can still look really good even by today’s standards. Recently played Doom 3 to the end on a Dell laptop with a 5650 GPU and it ran silky smooth at 1920 x 1080 ultra settings maxed out AA.

Game was made more fearsome and ultra scary by the exclusion of the flashlight, however yes. Any sane and sensible marine would tape a flashlight to his gun or armour or something… Was a bit of a blunder by ID software however it was most certainly an intentional one as with the tape mod Doom 3 was nowhere near as scary…

ID software hit the sweet spot with Doom 3, although as mentioned, game did get repetitive towards the end. And it did become a little predictable, monsters would drop through the ceiling or jump from behind a door.

Still for its time, it was cutting edge visuals, and had excellent feel to the guns.

Only Half life 2 was IMO the better game released around the same time, however Doom 3 was still one of ID softwares greatest games to date.

Rage sadly was a bit rubbish, I was quite shocked when I played Bulletstorm and Rage recently and Rage ran like turd on my PC yet Bulletstorm was fluid and smooth on the same hardware and looked better IMO and a heck of a lot more fun as well…

If no one was played Doom 3 then provided its cheap enough, you’ll be in a for a bit of scary treat.. Not to everyone’s taste, but decidedly good game nonetheless.

Last edited:
Soldato
The original XBOX version couldn't hold a candle to the PC.

The levels were all severely shortened due to lack of ram.

True, but they did well to get the game running on the old xbox.

Much like Witcher 2 on the PC is miles better then the 360 version, still did well to get that title up and running on such modest hardware comparable to a high end gaming rig..!!

The game was artificially scary because of it. They may as well have come up with a story that the marine was a massive wimp who had to close his eyes out of fear every time he happened upon a monster and thus had to fire blind. Same end result, surely. Besides...

Ta da, point proved. The game wasn't all that great gameplay wise, as evidenced by silly things like the flashlight idiocy.

Playing a wimp who craps himself whenever he sees an enemy and loses all co-ordination.

You just described Amnesia..... the scariest game ever made. :)

All games/films/books that aim to scare are "artificially scary"..... due to the fact they don't offer any actual danger.

Permabanned
game was excellent, probably the best fps game released in 2004 followed very closely by ut2k4 then far cry and then hl2.

looking forward to this new version

Soldato
OP
Am I the only one who liked the flashlight? :(

Yeah it's bull**** not having one n the gun but i've looked at this duct tape mod and it looks like it'll ruin immersion.

Back
Top Bottom