Self-driven vehicles

Soldato
The whole idea is pretty ridiculous really.

In these test simulations they never have people crossing the road/fallen trees/other non-computer simulated perfect scenarios.

Imagine the complexity of programming a simple T junction.

Car A come up to the T junction and wants to go right. In order to do this it has a coupe of options:
1. External cameras that detects objects 'resembling' cars e.g. bigger than a child going from left to right and right to left. If the camera detects no issue it pulls out, skipping past the wrong side of the road lane and then fitting snuggly into the left lane.
2. All cars are on the same network within a "cell" of roads. The car uses the cell to monitor all cars within 1/2 a mile. The cell informs the car that the roads are clear. It pulls out as per 1.

There are many problems with these scenarios.

1. Is there a combination of camera and technology good enough to detect and understand a safe distance to pull out? I guess we have speed cameras already - but how much will these cars cost fitter with about 4 sophisticated cameras and infrared speed detectors or a system monitoring all moving cars?
2. Just like mobile phones reception can sometimes fluctuate. It would only take a blip in one car to cause an accident.

I don't think it will happen as there are too many roads that would need re-doing - all the same size to aid guidance of the cars to 'fit'. Everytime there were roadworks the database of roads would need constant updating so cars knew what they were doing.

Simply down to cost it wont happen, let alone a lack of technology and human capability to adapt to change.

Associate
A computer driving a car will be many times safer than a human doing it.
The issue is with safety testing the software as an auto-driven car running a child over will be a VERY expensive court case and get massive negative media coverage.

A good idea, if implemented well. I can only image how long doing a practical FMEA would take - I did one on an automatic gearbox for some construction equipment (won't say who but they are global) and it took me over 6 weeks just for that!

I will watch the video later as I haven't yet :).
As per my view self drive is more safe and more protective for us because some time auto-driven can make a big accident. I want to know that what is your opinion in this way but really i also prefer to drive car by myself.

Soldato
I have to say that I personally see this as being very much a key set of technology.
My hope is that a driver will be able to:
1. Drive normally locally
2. Drive onto a motorway and finds an existing roadtrain
3. The "roadtrain" talks to his car via wireless links, advises that it's going 80% of the way towards his destination, so the driver hits a button to "join roadtrain"
4. The car takes over, feeds in part way to the road train, then maintains a 2m gap to the car in front and behind.
5. The roadtrain maintains a steady and sensible speed. Because the cars are closely packed, there's big benefits to fuel consumption because of reduced drag. As the train "talks" to every car within the train, the "concertina" effect is mostly eliminated, reducing the amount of kinetic energy wasted by most drivers during braking.
6. The roadtrains are so popular that 75% of drivers use them regularly. Motorways have single lanes dedicated to the roadtrains and overall congestion is massively reduced because of the cars making much better use of road space.
7. Drivers get to relax whilst in the train, watch TV, sleep etc. When it's their time to peel off from the train, they're advised in advance and the car neats drives out from the group, the car reverts to normal operation

Being serious about this, if you could have the majority of your boring motorway journeys done on auto-pilot, and with both cost and time savings, wouldn't you say yes?

Nice theory but it couldn't rely on the lead car being driven by a human. It would also have to travel at a fair amount below the speed limit for cars to be able to join without breaking the law.

Soldato
Yeah because there are no public transport systems on the road yet.

As in, imagine if the road network was like the rail network. No thanks!

I'd like to imagine that every road in the UK will have a row of robot cars that you just get in, it takes you wherever you want and bills your credit card afterwards. But that will never happen because someone competent would have to manage it all and you know what the government is like.

Soldato
:confused:
Once again, Google have got their cars already driving by themselves, no 'road trains' or lead drivers or anything else involved. Surely that is far more likely to become the norm than anything else?

Associate
Indeed I seen the Google vehicle in "Stephen Hawkings Brave New World"... It's quite something special and the Volvo has nothing on it, same goes to other manufacturers

Saying that, Google really does have the resources and the techies to do anything.

Caporegime
OP
Lots of people like driving, but I reckon it'll eventually be one of those 'how did we ever do without it' pieces of technology. Also I'm sure you can still drive if you want to, it's just on those cold dark winter mornings you can drag yourself out of bed and have another snooze on the way to work.

Soldato
I think the tech to be able to do this on real roads is a long long way off

It really isn't. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see cars with a fully autonomous driving option within the next 20 years. The tech exists now. It's just a matter of refining it, miniaturizing it and then getting Daily Mail reading luddites to accept it.

Guess which of those 3 will be the biggest hurdle...

Associate
I don't see how you came to that conclusion when I posted a video just above your post of a car doing just that.

A car you can't buy

I doubt anyone is going to walk into a car showroom anytime soon and be driven out and home by the car they just bought

Until that day comes, the technology is just drawing board stuff with no real effect on you, me or anyone else who might happen to be driving around at this present time

It really isn't. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see cars with a fully autonomous driving option within the next 20 years. The tech exists now. It's just a matter of refining it, miniaturizing it and then getting Daily Mail reading luddites to accept it.

Guess which of those 3 will be the biggest hurdle...

We might well see the teck in 20 years time yeah, but 20 years is still a long way off, i personally think it will catch on pretty quick, once people actually see it working in real life

Soldato
As a registered blind person who can only dream of taking the wheel of a car and having the independence to go wherever I want, whenever I want I am very excited about these vehicles. I imagine they still have a long way to go yet but hopefully in my lifetime they'll be available. Think I'll start saving now! :cool:

Associate
I like driving but a "self driven" robot whatever car sounds cool, I just hope they can be made self aware enough to avoid normal human drivers.

I always prefer to drive car by myself and i think auto drive is not right mode for me. I want to know your opinion about what is the safe way to drive the car. I want to know that every people have different thinks for driving.

Back
Top Bottom