**** The Official Prometheus Spoiler Discussion Thread ****

Soldato
It has all been said so far in this thread so I'm not going to re-highlight the holes or the bits that were annoying.

As I understand it, there is going to be another film which is meant to link the end of this and Alien. This would make sense given that Shaw and David burnt off in the ship to go meet the makers.

I am mostly interested in how they progress the Xenomorph story and creation. A first generation alien born out of an Engineer host should be fairly badass you would have thought; given that a Xenomorph inherits properties of the facehuggered host. I'd like to know if the Xenomorph is the intended end result of the engineers bioweapon or if it is an unexpected bi-product. Obviously there are some gaps to be filled before you reach Alien, when they arrive to an Engineer sat in a seat with loads of eggs around ready to meet Ripley and Co.

Overall, too many questions for me. The film spelt out some fairly obvious and irrelevant stuff which really didn't quench my thirst for overall story-arc progression.

I'd give it 7/10 as a generic sci-fi but was really hoping for more given the hype and expectation.

Soldato
It has all been said so far in this thread so I'm not going to re-highlight the holes or the bits that were annoying.

As I understand it, there is going to be another film which is meant to link the end of this and Alien. This would make sense given that Shaw and David burnt off in the ship to go meet the makers.

I am mostly interested in how they progress the Xenomorph story and creation. A first generation alien born out of an Engineer host should be fairly badass you would have thought; given that a Xenomorph inherits properties of the facehuggered host. I'd like to know if the Xenomorph is the intended end result of the engineers bioweapon or if it is an unexpected bi-product. Obviously there are some gaps to be filled before you reach Alien, when they arrive to an Engineer sat in a seat with loads of eggs around ready to meet Ripley and Co.

Overall, too many questions for me. The film spelt out some fairly obvious and irrelevant stuff which really didn't quench my thirst for overall story-arc progression.

I'd give it 7/10 as a generic sci-fi but was really hoping for more given the hype and expectation.

But the daft thing is the way the engineer ship went down in Prometheus and how it landed with the hole in the right place etc all points to how it should end pre-Alien. So is the second film going to end in exactly the same way with another ship crashing and landing in the same position blah blah blah.

Annoyance :p

Man of Honour
I thought the whole hologram thing was just stupid, its not true 'exploration', its like explorers visiting a really old uninhabited place to find out how beings lived there etc and just saying, hey guys, instead of 'exploring' stuff, lets just watch this clever CCTV hologram thing and see what went on. WTF!?!

what an odd statement, you don't think someone would watch CCTV?
It's not knew, it's just like black boxes on planes. It's not a new concept. Even horizon, what's the first thing they try to do, find the last log. It makes perfect sense.

Now LV_233 had lots of other installations, apparently, ?
How did you get to that conclusion?
The only reference in the film, is its a military installation and hence in the middle of know where, where if it escapes, it's contained on the planet.

I want more films, would settle for books though.

Last edited:
Soldato
But the daft thing is the way the engineer ship went down in Prometheus and how it landed with the hole in the right place etc all points to how it should end pre-Alien. So is the second film going to end in exactly the same way with another ship crashing and landing in the same position blah blah blah.

Annoyance :p

The whole they made in the ship is no were near the same place as it is in the Alien movie.

Soldato
what an odd statement, you don't think someone would watch CCTV?
It's not knew, it's just like black boxes on planes. It's not a new concept. Even horizon, what's the first thing they try to do, find the last log. It makes perfect sense.

How did you get to that conclusion?
The only reference in the film, is its a military installation and hence in the middle of know where, where if it escapes, it's contained on the planet.

I want more films, would settle for books though.

David said there are other ships and another installations. In fact when you see them land, you can see the same building behind the first one they are going in too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Couple of things to add to my post another other ppl's questions:

This is LV-223, it is a different planet but my annoyance lay with how many jumps the 'weapon' had and it's sequence in order to get to something that resembled an alien. Pinning hopes on getting money for a sequel to this is just shoddy and Scott ain't getting any younger, especially with the time sink of a second Blade Runner coming up.... Why even bother to show us this new alien looking for on LV-223? Just annoying tbh.
There's not a single part of Alien that eludes to a sequel, look how that turned out. This one pins all hope on a sequel to cover up being a bad film.

I watched Alien last night and they enter through a venting hole, not a breach in the ship so I got that wrong, so it's for certain that the ship she took off in is the Alien derelict or it is another site on LV-426. Either way I don't really care, just too many gaps in this story and visuals aside just a **** story in Prometheus.

Whilst watching Alien last night it really hit home the differences, watching Ripley talk to the crew whilst they find their bearings having just being woken from sleep and also the chat of Parker and Brett with her it all felt more organic to a suspense film even though none of that dialogue was done to add any suspense. Ironic.
The back and forth between her and Ash in the lab after he opened the airlock is much more gripping than the Vickers 'agenda' scene.

I also don't get why films these days have to take you by the hand moment for moment, as if the audience can't handle a time jump a-la Kane coming back to the Nostromo, gets infected and almost immediatley he's outside the airlock, in Prometheus we get the whole sequence of coming back to the ship, which by the way was a real moment of tension but then gets completely runied and overworked by Shaw being kicked around like a football.

The whole film making experience has moved on so much with technology and even the number of people involved, and lets not foget things like studio input (Alien 3) which can all change the final product.
This also depends on age group, if you are old enough to remember the styles and stories of films like Alien, The Birds, North by Northwest and in seeing how films/stories are created now (have a hit book, it's immediatley a film) then I guess Prometheus was no surprise.
That said, this script, for the number of re-writes it had, it should have been more coherent, that's where the biggest failure was for me.
I'd have been happy with more questions and less answers, instead it tried to do both and didn't know what the hell to do with itself in the process.

Soldato
There are so many plot holes to add. But my one is, they really believe that if you pull apart a humanoid creature, and spread its DNA about. Then a million years or so(give or take a few)later you will end up with a humanoid creature pretty similar with identical DNA?

Soldato
Just watched it now. Fantastic film, I thought. Plenty of questions need answering which has kept me thinking the past 2 hours. Yeah, there were a few pot holes in the film, but this is Ridley Scott. Expect a director's cut on blur ray/dvd release which will fill in a lot of the gaps

Soldato
Just back from watching the film, wish I had not watched it in 3D as it did not add anything at all and I just wanted to take the annoying glasses off.

Overall I enjoyed the film but...

This was all basically about some psycho android?

Just before he poisons the scientist with the DNA, he's being taunted about not being human. Then says "Don't we all want to kill our parents?" so I take it he means literally he wants to kill his creators and all humans?
At the end he wants to pilot the ship to reach earth and wipe out life. He's out of luck as he's just a head and she wants to go see the engineers at home.

Suspended
What a ******* stupid film. I feel as though I've been robbed :mad:

**** film, a trillion and one plot holes, not even half a story and so many nonsensical and unbelievable decisions. What a ******* waste of an evening and £20.

Not ******* happy.

Load of ****.

:mad:

Soldato
Wow the venom on here for this film is just amazing.

Whilst there are plot holes (like most sci-fi films) I'm not sure they ruin the film to the degree deserving so much rage.

Personally I thought it was great - particularly for a genre prequel / sequel.

There was some intelligence, great performances and nice visuals. Also good use of 3D for a change - was originally going to see in 2D but am glad I didnt.

Can someone summarise what happens right at the end once the Dragon bird goes back to the robot head as I had to leave suddenly due to family emergency?

(The extended 3D Spiderman trailer was great too).

Suspended
Three years of hype will evoke such vitriolic response when the result isn't up to snuff.

I didn't view as a result of the hype; not in the sense that I'm a fanboi and had been following developments since it was announced. My daughter's visiting so I took her out to watch a good film. I really wish I'd chosen something else.

It was just utter ****. Anyone thinking about defending it really needs to give their head a shake.

Caporegime
The whole film making experience has moved on so much with technology and even the number of people involved, and lets not foget things like studio input (Alien 3) which can all change the final product.

Here is my take on it.

For a film that explores the differences between humans and robots, there was very little evidence that Prometheus was made by a human hand.

It was so "by-the-numbers" - the dialogue between characters was so inorganic and forced - that it could have been made by a robot. The reactions of characters to one another were as unfeeling and unthinking as a robot welding a car together.

This may sound over-dramatic, but I can't be the only one thinking this.

In our new technological world, Art is dying. Especially in big-bucks Hollywood. People either don't have time for Art, or as a race we are losing our collective imagination and creativity.

Soldato
In our new technological world, Art is dying. Especially in big-bucks Hollywood. People either don't have time for Art, or as a race we are losing our collective imagination and creativity.

Seriously?! This is a genre prequel to a B movie.

Perspective people!!

Associate
If they announce that the ship that crashed at the end is the ship from alien (I have always said its not and the planet isn't lv426 but people keep thinking it is) then I will call this film a huge dissapointment. Especially the fact that the jocky isnt in his seat when he gets chest busted. If he was i would accept it as a true prequel.
I enjoyed the film I have to admit and the 3d was subtle and not trying to throw things out at you.
Yes there are plot holes just like there are in most films.

I do agree that lindof shouldn't have been chosen to write the script. It seems as if he has one great idea and as soon as he's trying to flesh it out he gets another idea and forgets about the first one.

Caporegime
Seriously?! This is a genre prequel to a B movie.

Perspective people!!

Naturally if I'd make those comments purely on the basis of seeing one bad movie I'd be insane.

The last few years all I've seen is bad movies, try as I might to like the new breed of Hollywood tat.

Back
Top Bottom