What % of drivers do you let out at junctions?

Soldato
I let out one or two depending on how busy the intersection is.
If everybody let out one person, traffic would generally move a lot smoother.

Soldato
I don't not let people out but what is it with 4X4 drivers. They are obnoxious and never say thank you, perhaps it's just this area.

Caporegime
I don't not let people out but what is it with 4X4 drivers. They are obnoxious and never say thank you, perhaps it's just this area.

I think you're obnoxious towards 4x4 drivers first :p

Come up to a cross road, GT2 on one side and a GTR on the other, which one do you let out?

Associate
43.57% i noticed that up here in the northeast people are a lot more nice and let people out quite a lot and wave, in the 7 years ive visited manchester i could count on 1 hand how many people have let me out or even waved after ive left them out.

Associate
Ie.

Ford Focus = No
Ford Focus ST/RS = Yes!

VW Golf = No
VW Golf GTI with Monza alloys/R32 = Yes!

Mercedes C180 CDI = No
Mercedes AMG Model (identified by 6 pot/large brakes and a sneaky "V8"/"V12" badge on the side = Yes!

Ford Mondeo = No
Ford Mondeo ST220 = Yes!

etc etc etc

Similar to my approach - I don't want to hang around!

Driving an 'exotic' car myself I find that people's attitudes are more extreme now - Sometimes in merging traffic I don't indicate or push and people leave me a wide gap, flashing and waving me in front of them. Other times, I indicate with plenty of time only to be closed off with a bumper-hugging blocker in my desired lane. I've had people beeping and flashing when I've had to merge (due to a barrier or crosshatchings etc) in front of them despite me giving plenty of warning with indications and a non-aggressive approach.

On the whole, outside of the merging situations, I find more people let me out of junctions now.

Soldato
Come up to a cross road, GT2 on one side and a GTR on the other, which one do you let out?

GTR, no question ;)

But it depends on situation, not car - most of the time :p The other day I was even let in by a man in an RS6 :D

I understand what cwhitehead means, when you are going around the roundabout, or sat in a queue of traffic, and someone goes around the traffic queue, and expects to be in at the end. No way thats happening.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends on my pace and my mood. And if I have to brake or just release throttle.

Generally by rule:
In a hurry or in a bad mood > Leave nobody out & honk at the ones who move out anyhow then overtake them illegally.
In a good mood and if I can let them out without having to touch my brake: pretty much always a quick signal with full beams along with hand waving telling them to go.
In busy(slow) city traffic it usually matters bugger all how you drive so pretty much always let 1 car ( not more though) in from a side road even if I have the right of way.

Cyclists and peds, again, depends on the situation, if not in a hurry if it's easier for me to slow down then I'll let them go first, and vice versa. Bonus points for hotties who I always give way to and friendly smile&wave except when in a hurry :).

I must admit, that if I know there's a grey fossile behind the wheel I will NOT let them out, I hate following someone who drives under the limit, and brakes for every single corner, roundabout and junction. Somehow, even when I'm driving at or under the limit and very economical, they manage to drive in such a way I have to brake, by braking for corners to silly low speeds.

And again, it also matters what's behind me, if behind there's nobody for a wide mile than I don't see the point in letting people out.

Last edited:
Associate
I let a car pull in between a coach and me last week on the approach to the Blackwall Tunnel. Got to the lights near the tunnel entrance and the coach and him got through. It took me then 20 minutes to catch up the coach!
So if I I did that everyday that's that's an extra 100 minutes on my weekly journey.

Permabanned
I let everyone out, sometimes a second car if it looks like they are happy to get a shift on.
It does grate letting a BMW out because I know damn well they would never do it for me, but that's their problem.

Last night I'm queuing at a minor junction, the usual daft girl is blocking my exit, sees me and tries to pull forward a bit, but it's OK as I'm going left anyway.
The lights change and I've pulled out close to her bumper in readiness.

Along comes 4x4 man and tries to push ahead.

I find this bloody rude, it's common courtesy to let traffic filter in and it's obvious I'm already pulling out, so I carry on following the girl.

Now we are neck and neck except 4x4 man is on the wrong side of the road, so eventually he gives way and pulls in behind me, then has a tantrum by edging my bumper :rolleyes: lol
He hasn't gained or lost anything as we are still a few light changes from going anywhere, I was tempted to get out and ask him if he would like to take my place in the queue, him being vastly more important than every other ****** on the planet.

It's a pity nice cars are ruined by the reputation of their owners :(

/

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair to the OP, having just having gone through the whole learning to drive process - there certainly was a tendency for certain brands to attract total door knobs as drivers. Most people where patient - but the categories that entered in to the realm of total tards tended to be:
[A] Chavs around the age of 18 - 20 in Clios / Corsas / Saxos that look like the mods on their cars where more expensive than the car itself.
Middle aged (35-45) marque (BMW or Merc typically) drivers that seem to think that massive learner driver sign on the top of the car isn't a hint that they should hang back and be patient. One utter fool decided to try and over take me (I was doing a clearly too slow 27 on a 30 road), he almost hit a parked car on the right, slammed on his breaks and then beeped at me. Have to say that was a BMW driver.
[C] (I kinda forgive these guys) professional drivers rushing around to deliver stuff.

Although on average I'm not one for generalisations, I have to say lots of them certainly appeared to be true when I was learning.

Soldato
It does grate letting a BMW out because I know damn well they would never do it for me, but that's their problem./

I know we've been joking around a bit about BMW drivers being cocks in this thread, but do you really think your logic that BMW drivers don't let anyone out applies to each and every of the hundreds of thousands of BMW drivers?

Associate
If I'm stuck in traffic I'll let people out as I'm obviously not going anywhere quickly and not letting them out isn't going to save me any time.

If I'm on a free-flowing A or B road I don't bother unless I'm turning into that particular junction although I'm not keen on doing that after witnessing an accident where a guy allowed someone else to pull out of a junction, but they forgot to look the other way and got T-boned at 40MPH. If it's free-flowing there will be a gap in the traffic soon enough and I highly doubt they'd let me out as they all think being an extra car length behind makes them rediculously late arriving at Tesco on time.

Permabanned
I let people out if I don't have to brake to let them out, I let people out who look like they have been sat there for ages.

I don't let people out that edge into the road or people that assume because there is a slight gap and they edge out, I'm going to let them out.

Back
Top Bottom