Panasonic 42'' ST50 - Good choice ?

Associate
Interesting and thx, you can only record what you watch, can you have a freesat active and freeview active at once, guess thats going to be a negative, but it would need a GT to test.
I can't see why not. I assume there would be a different button on the remote to swap between freesat and freeview. Which logically would allow you to be tuned to different channels. You need a GT owner or the manual to confirm that. I am just guessing

Soldato
I could get me a 50VT30 for £923 but I already have a 50V20 which is still going strong - I'll be leaving 3D for another few years yet most likely - see how this whole OLED thing turns out ... plasma might not be around long if they can get it to the right price point for 50" sets!

Soldato
I can't see why not. I assume there would be a different button on the remote to swap between freesat and freeview. Which logically would allow you to be tuned to different channels. You need a GT owner or the manual to confirm that. I am just guessing

You cant, once it starts to recored you either have to watch, or turn it to standby, although a good idea, its pretty flawed.

Associate
You cant, once it starts to recored you either have to watch, or turn it to standby, although a good idea, its pretty flawed.
I get a feeling it was just bunged in as a bit of an afterthought. More of an emergency fallback for when a real PVR has problems.

It is also full of annoying DRM and specially formatted USB drives meaning it will only be usable on this screen and no where else.

Associate
The gt50 has better blacks and is also dualcore for multitasking, making swaps between apps much better, te blacks are definatly improved over the st50 as well, but unless there side by side its hard to tell.

The GT50 does NOT have better blacks than the ST.

They BOTH have the Infinite Black filter.

You have to get the VT50 for better blacks, and all the expert reviews say it is barely noticeable.

The GT50 is better thus:

Slightly thinner bezel
Extra (4th HDMi input)
THX mode (which is useless if you hate the overly-warm look of THX !)
Freesat HD as well as the Freeview HD of the ST.

Head over to AVForums if you want decent advice on TV's mate.

For most its either the ST or the VT model and only the GT model if its offered at near ST price point ie. the cost of the glasses. Its just not worth the extra.

On another happy note my 50" st30 still impresses the hell out of me every time I treat it to some 1080 content.

Soldato

You have to get the VT50 for better blacks, and all the expert reviews say it is barely noticeable.

The GT50 is better thus:

Slightly thinner bezel
Extra (4th HDMi input)

The GT50 also has the improved gradation, 25k vs 12k, the faster panel drive and the professional modes. :)

Soldato

The GT50 is better thus:

Slightly thinner bezel
Extra (4th HDMi input)

My eyes must be wrong then :o starring at the 2 models every day, side by side, on or off, the GT has a darker screen and it also shows when running.

Associate
They both have panel filter covering but the GT's is different (thicker?) to that of the ST's resulting in a slightly darker screen as insane200 says. Plenty of people have noticed it. The plus side is that the GT can handle brighter lit rooms better than a ST as a result. Although in my lounge I have had no washed out blacks in daytime viewing. Reflections/glare is more of a problem for me.

I had my ST calibrated by a friend in the trade last week and even he was surprised how good the picture is for the price. It's a TV that needs some proper tinkering with to get the best out of if you can't get it done properly but it's well worth it and any difference in picture quality with a GT is negligible. (2D) The biggest downside I have found with the ST is it's limited amount of preconfigurable settings you can have. It's a shame I can't have 3 (day, night, sport) well set up. With the ST you are limited to 1 and a bit (OK you can just about set 2 up but the 2nd will always be sub standard.
Great TV for the price though and i'll be interested to see how mine ages.

Soldato
And the heat, one thing which is putting me off the new range, they get really hot and emit
quite a bit of heat now, i already hate the heat from my G10.

Soldato
It is,and i still prefer to have something cooler :o just cant stand heat.

I just got a great deal ! my Aunties Husband sold me a brand new Sony KDL40HX723 3D T.V for £515.00 with rechargable glasses ( it was too big for there room ) and i have to say its awesome ! the picture in 2D HD is top class quality ! and 3D is fantastic ! much improved on the EX Sony Model T.V ,s plus it runs very cool :) had it on for over 6 hours in the evening and it was hardly warm :)

Permabanned
They both have panel filter covering but the GT's is different (thicker?) to that of the ST's resulting in a slightly darker screen as insane200 says. Plenty of people have noticed it. The plus side is that the GT can handle brighter lit rooms better than a ST as a result. Although in my lounge I have had no washed out blacks in daytime viewing. Reflections/glare is more of a problem for me.

I had my ST calibrated by a friend in the trade last week and even he was surprised how good the picture is for the price. It's a TV that needs some proper tinkering with to get the best out of if you can't get it done properly but it's well worth it and any difference in picture quality with a GT is negligible. (2D) The biggest downside I have found with the ST is it's limited amount of preconfigurable settings you can have. It's a shame I can't have 3 (day, night, sport) well set up. With the ST you are limited to 1 and a bit (OK you can just about set 2 up but the 2nd will always be sub standard.
Great TV for the price though and i'll be interested to see how mine ages.

The ST has a brighter Panel however, but you are right, the difference between the ST and the GT is something that the average viewer probably wont notice anyway.

I calibrated my TV and the picture is almost to reference levels so it is pointless paying more for ever decreasing benefits.

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad this got bumped. Seen this tv on offer with two pairs of glasses for 780. Good deal? Was originally looking at the 42g30b but I missed that by a couple of weeks although seen it online on the rainforest for 525.

Soldato
I'm fairly open to suggestions. Its just when i first started looking it was the panasonic 42G30B thats been replaced and bumped in price so looked at the 42ST50B seeings as both had good reviews.

well i,m in a similar dilema i have a chance of a brand new Sony KDL40HX723 3D with Glasses for £515.00 from my Uncle who bought it and its to big for there room :) or a Panasonic TX-P42ST50 3D Plasma , but i,m worried about the reflective screen in my bright room ,also a small problem its £849.00 big difference for 2 inch of screen :confused:

Back
Top Bottom