Lighter Les Paul

~D~

~D~

Associate
I'm looking for a Les Paul (around the Epiphone price range - ~£400) but I'm looking for something a bit lighter than the average Epiphone Les Paul.

I currently have a 'Jack and Danny' les paul copy at the moment and it can get a bit heavy after a few hours on my shoulders (not really sure what it weighs though)

I've heard that the Les Paul Ultra III has a chambered body to make them much lighter, however I've also heard that it has a lot of fret buzz (and comes with a lot of electric gadgetry that I don't want/need).

The Ultra Pro seems cool but it only comes in two finishes

I've heard that the Epiphone Les Paul Studios are a bit lighter too (the red one looks cool too) but I'm not sure how much lighter (or even whether this is true!)

I know Gibsons come with chambered bodies, but those are way way out of my price range :D

Do you guys think I'm going down the right track here?

Soldato
Gretsch hollowbody, more versatile than a Les Paul, sounds better IMO and in the Les Paul style.

Also a thicker strap helps - I used to get terrible backache gigging my Custom and ended up buying a 3.5" Get'em Get'em strap which really helped..... still moved over to hollowbody after a while as I just love the difference in sound.

The Epiphone Sheraton II is a similar style again and are lovely guitars for the money.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Lightest Les Paul was BFG, it had proper chambered body, not just drilled. 2007/2008 LP Classics had the same construction, but I mention BG because it was the cheapest US made LP in the range for a decade - even now they sell for about £650 second hand.

Associate
If you can find one, try a Gibson Les Paul Goddess, my wife has an SG goddess and it's incredibly light. It's made from a handpicked lightweight mahogany body, absolute delight to play. They are rare as hen's teeth though...

~D~

~D~

Associate
OP
There's something about the LP shape that attracts me. I was considering other guitar shapes for a while but they didn't excite me like an LP does.

I've tried to weigh my J&D guitar on some kitchen scales, it seems to be 4.3kg, which is pretty heavy. Most Epiphone Les Paul Standards/Studios etc seem to be around 3.5kg so I might be able to get one of those anyway.

Check out the ESP EC-256, a few different finishes available, lighter than the Epiphone and under budget :)

Thanks, I'll check this out too!

There's something about the LP shape that attracts me. I was considering other guitar shapes for a while but they didn't excite me like an LP does.

I've tried to weigh my J&D guitar on some kitchen scales, it seems to be 4.3kg, which is pretty heavy. Most Epiphone Les Paul Standards/Studios etc seem to be around 3.5kg so I might be able to get one of those anyway.

Thanks, I'll check this out too!

Sure LP's look nice, but they're horribly un-ergonomic and uncomfortable to play sitting down. If you're looking for a more comfortable guitar, then you might be better off with something other than an LP.

Best thing would be to get yourself to a guitar shop that has a decent selection, and have a feel for yourself. Even within a single model, they'll be a fair bit of variation in the weight and tone of the individual guitars, and balance in often more important than total weight anyway. A well balanced heavy guitar is more comfortable than a light one that's neck-heavy.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
You could always try PRS SE 245 single cut range for fit. Scale in 245 models is as close to Gibson as it gets, similar wood choice and design idea, built quality is much higher than Epis and Les Paul knockoffs, but lighter, comfier and more versatile.

Back
Top Bottom