** The Official WWDC 2012 Thread **

Soldato
So would moving from my current laptop with a 15.6" 1080p display to a new macbook pro retina display actually give me less "screen real estate"?

Am I right in thinking that the way that the 2880*1800 display would work is that pretty much everything would be pixel doubled, so that I would actually be able to fit less on the screen? (as it is in effect 1440*900)

My uses are internet browsing, use of excel and powerpoint and working in the command line.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
Will these be in Apple stores to look at today? Also generally how long before you can buy them from other shops and not just Apple?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
So would moving from my current laptop with a 15.6" 1080p display to a new macbook pro retina display actually give me less "screen real estate"?

Am I right in thinking that the way that the 2880*1800 display would work is that pretty much everything would be pixel doubled, so that I would actually be able to fit less on the screen? (as it is in effect 1440*900)

My uses are internet browsing, use of excel and powerpoint and working in the command line.

Any thoughts?

See these links from earlier in the thread;

Some good details about the screen over at Anand, here and here.

In short, you can manipulate the scaling - so you can have 1920x1200 if you want. I'd expect 1:1 scaling from 3rd party / hacks in time, so you could have full 2880x1800 - if you'd actually want that on a 15" panel.

Caporegime

Any thoughts?

Cheers, reading this states the resolutions you have access to are:

1024 x 640
1280 x 800
1440 x 900 (default)
1680 x 1050
1920 x 1200

I would probably use 1920x1200 (although I can't justify one of these machines at the moment :( )

rp2000

You would get slightly more than your 1080p display on existing machine.

rp2000

Soldato
Stromgly recommend you shell a bit more out and get a laptop and cinema display instead. You won't regret the portability and technology decoupling

I actually hate moving my laptop from place to place. I already have a mid-2010 MBP which I plan to leave at work for most of the week. I wanted an iMac for my home computer which would stay put. I like the idea of almost no cable clutter with an iMac.

If I went the MBP + Cinema Display I would have to have a bunch of cables on my desk (audio, A/C, display, ethernet etc).

Man of Honour
They joke, calm it. This is what happens in business.

Samsung do the same. Did you not see the sheep in the Galaxy S III teaser videos?

They've done a number of Apple related PR stunts as well.

I know exactly what it is, I think it's pathetic, from both companies. I don't see a need for it, especially when both have taken it past the whole light hearted humour line.

Also I can't stand all the gloating that Apple do at these shows, delivering a presentation based on statistics that they manipulate to make themselves look good. I don't care about what percentage of mobile users use what browser, I just want to know what you are bringing to me in the next IOS, get on with it.

Soldato
If I went the MBP + Cinema Display I would have to have a bunch of cables on my desk (audio, A/C, display, ethernet etc).
Horses for courses, I guess.

Don't forget, though, that the cinema display has a single integrated power/usb/display/audio cable which connects to your laptop. I just have two cables; one USB for my iPhone, and one from the display to the laptop.

Soldato
Will these be in Apple stores to look at today? Also generally how long before you can buy them from other shops and not just Apple?

I spoke to the Regent's St store earlier, they have them for sale today, but won't be putting the display ones out till tomorrow.

Soldato
Horses for courses, I guess.

Don't forget, though, that the cinema display has a single integrated power/usb/display/audio cable which connects to your laptop. I just have two cables; one USB for my iPhone, and one from the display to the laptop.

Would that be a Thunderbolt connector? Dear do buying a new MBP and 900 quid Cinema display!

Associate
So how do you think the GT 650M will hold up on a 2880x1800 display? In my opinion I don't think we'll be looking at playing many games at respectable FPS's (30+) even at lowest settings, with this card. That said, since the res is so high we can half the res and play at 1440x900 and everything will be nice and crisp. What do you guys think?

Soldato
Also I can't stand all the gloating that Apple do at these shows, delivering a presentation based on statistics that they manipulate to make themselves look good. I don't care about what percentage of mobile users use what browser, I just want to know what you are bringing to me in the next IOS, get on with it.

It's a Press Conference though, that's the way all such events are. It's also an important time for them to reflect sales figures and other stats the the media. It's only because Apple has such a following that it's become so important to consumers.

Back
Top Bottom