I.T Degree or Industry certs

Associate
OP
Thanks guys for all the help, view and opinions. I pretty much knew there were going to be mixed results.

Ive applied for the job anyway to see how we get on. Still waiting word back from the college in regards to scheduling on the course as that will be a deciding factor too. Starting any earlier than 6pm (which it probably will) is a straight no no as I have to work.

In regards to certs. Ive just booked my ICND1 exam (Cisco CCENT) which Ive been covering for the last few months so fingers crossed there for me guys.

I will keep yous updated in regards to job and how things pan out with the degree. At least if i get into a job now and remain doing my certs I can also do my degree at a later stage. Right now I need experience and if ive got the spare time to get certs along the way then maybe its best to leave the degree as to a certain extent its going to keep me back (Only because im not currently employed in I.T if you get me)

Thanks again. Much appreciated!!

Associate
If you show enough enthusiasm and understand your subject well enough you should be able to get into a firstline role quite easily, particularly if you give a good interview.

When we recruit for firstline we tend to find that those with a long list of certs and no industry experience will not take well to the job. Those with degrees and certs are often less competent because they've had no hands on experience and their courses have pushed them to pass the examinations without actually understanding the subject.

Experience EVERY time.

Caporegime
I'd usually be advocating doing a degree - but you seem pretty clear you want to go down the whole techie/IT side of things... working in support first etc..

I guess with that in mind and given the cost of uni/tuition these days (say 50K over 3 years inc living expenses) and the loss of 3 years earnings... (say another 60-80k at entry level)... doing a degree then pursuing the same path via support is quite costly... the 100k you'd (potentially) be better off by (if you're certain this is the route you'd want to take) is a nice deposit on a house.

Having said that, if you're not absolutely sure what you want to do, a degree opens more doors and if you decided at the end that you didn't want to go into support then you'd potentially have greater earning power - the loss of 3 years pay/cost of tuition can become worthwhile. (for example IT in a bank usually requires a degree at entry level lest you have specific skills/experience - the earning potential from contracting if you gain experience in this sector is high)

Soldato
As a general rule:

If the job interview is being done by HR they will know nothing about computers and think a degree makes a person a god.

If the interview is being done from somebody from the I.T dept then they will know an I.T degree is a worthless piece of paper and has no real world use, they will much prefer the Cisco/etc stuff.

Associate
OP
Thought long and hard and decided that knowledge is key what ever I want to do so im going to do my degree :D Its a Bsc Degree in Digital Technology and Networking and seems to cover most of what the CCNA covers (amongst other things of course) so at least when im done I can obtain the Cisco cert for extra kudos. Everything pretty much sorted and I start my studies in October.

I thought, rather than try and obtain further Cisco and Microsoft certs in a rush, i'll take my time, digest as much I.T knowledge as i can and apply everything when im good and ready. Im not one for thinking lifes too short, i look at it like ive got the rest of my life to do this. Im 28 now and should have my degree at 31. Hopefully after the 1st year and a half or so i could still get into somewhere and take things from there.

Because i work full time I cant do the whole "student campus" life and although I had nearly everything sorted out with my local college, things just wasn't going to work out with them due to their lack of encouragement so I am doing it through Open University.

Open University offer a wide range of computer degree pathways, be it Networking, Software etc etc and again, after much head wrecking ive chosen the root of the open degree which pretty much lets you choose your own modules from their extensive list. Even more impressive is that I can choose to foucs on Networking which i mentioned above covers everything from the Cisco CCNA. I'll also be doing server technologies with some i.t business studies.

Cant wait to start, 1st mandatory module is the TU100 (My Digital Life) worth 60 credits. This runs from October to June however if i get wrapped up by the new year I probably move on to Technologies in Practice .

Associate
Support, Networking, technicians etc - Then industry Certs

Software Development, R&D, engineering, - Then a degree is probably the best bet.

Soldato
How exactly do you get these entry level IT support job without a relevant degree/qualifications? I have been applying to these jobs with no luck.

I have a Economics degree and working in operations/distribution but want to build an IT career because I wont earn more than 20k at this company/role....

Just need to know where to start, glad I have a job but just want to know how to start a career.

Soldato
How exactly do you get these entry level IT support job without a relevant degree/qualifications? I have been applying to these jobs with no luck.

I have a Economics degree and working in operations/distribution but want to build an IT career because I wont earn more than 20k at this company/role....

Just need to know where to start, glad I have a job but just want to know how to start a career.

Best bet, once you're in a job is to apply for an internal transfer. Show an interest in the systems you use, etc. and then see if there's anything available.

Getting an entry level IT role, with a non-IT degree and no experience will be tricky to say the least.

Man of Honour
Not sure why people even want to go into support roles

Depends on where you end up I suppose; some people move from support into good roles as Technical Architects or management.

Also it can depend on your mentality, some people really enjoy problem solving but are not particularly creative so for example may find that support is better suited to them than say software development.

(FWIW I don't work in Support, but I wouldn't rule it out).

Associate
OP
You may enjoy it, but I found TU100 horrendously tedious.

Probably, and the fact that's its compulsory leaves me little choice. Once i bang this out of the way that's when the real learning will begin.

Looking forward to playing with the sense board mind you. I take its the same as a Raspberry Pi so to speak??

Soldato
Pro-tip: Graduates don't go really go into support roles or infrastructure roles anyway. Although some do.

Many do.

I've walked into Tech jobs and done the more respobible/technical/experienced roles with graduates still on telephones. *shrug*

Degree is what you make of it, same with certs. Depends on circumstance also. A CCNA going into a networking role with Cisco kit is going to be infinitely more valuable than a Comp Science Degree.

Soldato
I wouldn't agree with this. We employ graduates into 3rd line infrastructure positions as graduate trainees without 1st/2nd line experience, (or even necessarily an IT degree).

We tend to find it a lot better to get someone who has learned to think and learned how to discover information rather than someone who thinks they know everything required to support a large enterprise environment. It's a lot easier for us to take, say, a science or maths graduate and get them trained in the technologies we need them for.

At the end of the day it's easy to teach someone Windows/Unix/etc ... it's a lot harder, and takes far longer, to teach them to be able to think and assimilate information in order to be able to troubleshoot large, complex environments.

Interesting post.... I am an IT pro and have worked in it for almost 20 years... My opinion would be the opposite, HOWEVER I assume you are employing grad with 1/1 or 1/2 so you only get smart people?

You saying 'it's easy to teach someone windows/unix/etc' should really be 'it's easy to teach a smart person...'

Back
Top Bottom