The Rangers Saga and Fallout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
But when exactly does the newco actually come into existence? The fixture list is due any day now and they need to sort out next season. Will Rangers have enough time to sort out the newco, the management, the staff and the playing squad?
Won't the SPL have to work out a fixture list both with and without rangers (or would they just insert the top of Div1 in their place?)

Soldato
To be fair, McCoist hasn't had to deal with anything like the same pressure as Lennon - having opposing fans send bombs and threats to you and your family is the ultimate worry for any father - nothing could be worse.

However I wasnt a fan of some of his tactics but he was a true leader. I doubt very much Lennon would have been as dignified as McCoist through all this, in fact Lennon cant even act with dignity when he isnt in our situation.

Don
But when exactly does the newco actually come into existence? The fixture list is due any day now and they need to sort out next season. Will Rangers have enough time to sort out the newco, the management, the staff and the playing squad?
Won't the SPL have to work out a fixture list both with and without rangers (or would they just insert the top of Div1 in their place?)
The newco already exists, but until they get either an SPL share or SFL share and SFA membership they presumably can't register players.

All that needs to be sorted out in 6 weeks.

The SPL still hasn't said even when they are going to vote, I think there's too much uncertainty over Rangers as the BTC and dual contracts still needs to be resolved which would then make them subject to even further sanctions.

Soldato
That really shouldnt be a consideration.

There are other places to get money from, which we have gone to before. No one went bust the last time we had the BBC showing live matches for instance.

In the past however debuts have been rising attendances dropping and clubs have been offering contracts based on current income. Income that will surely be about to be reduced markedly. Firesale anyone?

Associate
You mean something like this. Please please give us some money we'll lose more clubs if you dont. That kind of thing??

People are afraid of change and have tendency to relate it to future failure - Psychology 101. However change will be a good thing as the SPL is in a bad way - no one is that interested in a non completive league. Though the quality of the old firm has been noticeably reducing we were still a few years off having other teams catch up with the old firm - though the methods Rangers used to remain competitive has caught them up early anyway. If the only thing worth watch is the old firm matches then the SPL should be buried along with old Rangers now. In reality I don't think the SPL can get much worse so this is an ideal opportunity to make big changes.

Sky are just rattling the sabre to negotiate a new deal so hopefully no knee jerk reactions.

On the radio I heard Rangers dubious antics described as 'financial doping'. Though does the newco using the old license still have to accept punishments for the oldco financial doping? :confused:

Good article here:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/the-newco-time-to-right-the-wrongs.17871985

Associate
On the other hand, if games are not so readily available on TV and they aren't dictating silly kick off times, wouldn't fans be more likely to come back to see games live?
This posturing from Sky just shows that all they care about is the old firm and the rest of Scottish football can just tag along as an unnecessary add on.
I wonder if they are actually bothered about the 10% of their customers north of the border?

Associate
Nauggie. Sky have 2 pulls for Scottish football. Why do you think the majority of games shown feature either Celtic or Rangers??

Because we have a boring league which is slowly dieing. We do something now so that other games are interesting ie a competive league or we lose Sky money in a few years anyway because its not worth watching and the old firm have no decent players as the money from Sky get progressively less.

Here's the thing - people celebrate success. Fan numbers go up and down (keep an eye on the Rangers crowds ;)) as shown by earlier success of Dundee United and Aberdeen. Another team (hopefully teams) will fill the Rangers void no bother. There a whole raft of football supporters that have switched off from the SPL that could be brought back.

Soldato
Err Head to head it was 2 wins 2 losses hardly got the better of him. Yes Celtic won the league but this was massively helped with our off field situation.

However I wasnt a fan of some of his tactics but he was a true leader. I doubt very much Lennon would have been as dignified as McCoist through all this, in fact Lennon cant even act with dignity when he isnt in our situation.

Yeah, McCoist was a great manager with all his dignity. How many competitions was he kicked out of by the end of October, with a team that had just won the league?

How many point lead did he throw away a month and a half before administration?

I'll miss him :(

Associate
Nail>head.
That is exactly why I have no interest in football. Same. Print predictability every year.
"Oh wow, Rangers/Celtic have won again by 38 points.
Apart from the odd cup game(shame hibs never bothered to turn up.) there's no excitement or unpredictability about the game. What's the point in watching a foregone conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom