Pasta Salad - How do you do yours?

Associate
I'm going to a BBQ on the weekend, and have offered to bring a potato salad and a pasta salad. I'm fine on the potato salad front but need some inspiration on the pasta salad, ideally meat free as I am catering for one veggie.

So OCUK, how do you do yours?

Associate
My favourite pasta salad is dead simple. Cook some pasta, drain it and stick it back over a very low heat. Stir in a jar of decent pesto. Chuck in a decent amount of frozen peas. Add a couple of good handfuls of spinach and stir until it's wilted and the peas are cooked through. Really nice and pretty healthy, works well next to some chicken or on its own.

Soldato
My favourite pasta salad is dead simple. Cook some pasta, drain it and stick it back over a very low heat. Stir in a jar of decent pesto. Chuck in a decent amount of frozen peas. Add a couple of good handfuls of spinach and stir until it's wilted and the peas are cooked through. Really nice and pretty healthy, works well next to some chicken or on its own.

This but perhaps make your own pesto with basil and mint. A pea, ham and mint pasta salad would be tasty.

Associate
OP

Yum, this may be a winner

Soldato
Home made pesto is winner, specially if you're already using mayo for the potato salad.

Use good pasta too as it will be part of the flavour, season your water etc. There is nothing worse than a bland tasteless rubbery pasta specially when you're not eating a lot of it. Or go for wholemeal pasta for extra flavour.

Soldato
Mine is ...

1x Red Onion
1x Red Pepper (roughly chopped)
1x Yellow Pepper (roughly chopped)
1/2 Jar of Olives stuffed with Jalapeños sliced
1/3 Jar hot Peppaesdews in vinegar chopped
4-5 Gerkins in sweet vinegar chopped
1x pack Waitrose cherry tomatoes

Dressing
1.5 teaspoons crushed chilli
1.5 teaspoons crushed garlic
Extra Virgin Olive oil & vinegar (from the peperdews and the gerkins) in a ratio of around 4 parts oil to one of vinegar.

Freshly ground black pepper added at serving.

Makes enough for at least 6 very large portions.

Associate
If they're one of those veggies who eat fish then I highly recommend tuna and pesto. The incidents are-

White or red onions
Bell peppers, any colour you like but I prefer yellow in this case
Sweetcorn
A splash of White wine, this isn't essential but it does make it that little bit better.
Pasta
Green Pesto

Soften the onions until they become translucent then add the peppers. Cook for a few minutes and then add the pesto and sweetcorn. Cook for another few minutes and then add the pasta, cooked until it still has plenty of bite as it'll carry on cooking in the sauce. Add a tin of Tuna and stir it through gently. Don't forget to check the seasoning.

It's great hot, cold and if you top it with crushed ready salted crisps or, my personal favourite, plain tortilla chips and grated cheese, it makes a cracking pasta bake.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
My 3 'go to' pasta salads are based loosely around these (they vary depending on what's in the cupboard/fridge)

Pasta, finely diced red onion, black olives, sprinkle of chilli flakes, olive oil, finely diced peppers, diced tomato flesh (seeds, ick), salt, pepper, squirt of lemon juice, (drained)can of Tesco mixed bean salad.

Don't add the onion right away. Put it in a small bowl and soak it in some red wine vinegar whilst your are prepping the rest of it.

Pasta, wild garlic green pesto, pine nuts.

Pasta, roasted red pepper pesto, finely diced pepper, black olives.

Back
Top Bottom