Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Some advice guys - getting back into my MTB'ing and I really enjoy single track so where's the best place to find this kind of riding within 100 miles of Preston, Lancs?

Nothing to hilly please and somewhere where I'll keep the wheels firmly on the ground :)

Soldato
Do you prefer cox? ;)

How long should you leave Stans fluid in before changing it? Am off up to the Lakes for a week tomorrow and I'm wondering if its worth swapping out or topping mine up, its been in there since the end of January..

It depends where you store it, I've had mine in for about 8 months before and it's seemed OK, it ends up rolling into a giant bogie eventually then you're just left with a watery mixture. Some recommended rolling the tyre around to hear it there's one in there!

Soldato
Think I'll change it out, for the few minutes it takes I might as well! I do keep my bike in the kitchen with one of the wheels quite near a radiator, so it gets quite warm..

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a very weird urge to get an AM Hardtail bike to replace my Enduro (I'd probably also get a big travel full susser next year for the "rougher stuff") - I'd like a hardtail because I think having the Enduro as my first decent bike is teaching me lots of bad habits that I want to beat out of myself.

Any recommendations on a good AM Hardtail then? Is the On-One 456 carbon good as AM? ROB75, I remember you having one.. What do you think about yours? Would you recommend it to others, or not?

Soldato
Take a look at the 456 evo, Stanton Slackline, Dialed Alpine or the best.. Evil Sovereign :D

Thanks, I'll take a look at all those, thanks! But I've just looked at the On One site.. The 456 Evo built is only £899? Seem's a very good price! If I bought that I could afford to hang on to my Enduro as well, rather than having to sell it to fund the new bike - Would it be any good with the standard spec for a couple of months?

Soldato
I would recommend a carbon 456 purely based on price. The frame is very strong and hasn't let me down thus far but then it is pretty chunky for a carbon frame. Its comfortable enough to ride, even on rocky stuff. I think the undecaled frame is £249 at the moment and for carbon, its a bargain.

But, there are better long travel hardtail frames out there I'm led to believe. Some mentioned above, another would be a Ragley Blue Pig.

Soldato
Thanks. Problem is, now I've seen the price of that 456 Evo built up at £899 I can't see how any other bike would be worth the extra money, especially as getting that would mean I could keep the Enduro, for now at least.

Soldato
I would recommend a carbon 456 purely based on price. The frame is very strong and hasn't let me down thus far but then it is pretty chunky for a carbon frame. Its comfortable enough to ride, even on rocky stuff. I think the undecaled frame is £249 at the moment and for carbon, its a bargain.

But, there are better long travel hardtail frames out there I'm led to believe. Some mentioned above, another would be a Ragley Blue Pig.

I'd also recommend a C456 - but remember it’s the most versatile bike I believe in existence. - Mine is built for XC races.

Just an excuse for posting a photo.

Associate
After a bit of advice, looking at selling my DH bike after my holiday in morzine because i feel one bike to rule them all is the way to go; someone lent me an xc bike and i have loved having a bike that i can just ride and at times i barely get out on the DH bike so i feel something 160 that can go both up and down is the way forward!

Looking at getting something new to 3 years old, no problem with second hand, parts i can choose myself but i really need advice on a frame, i've looked around for reviews etc but need more of an idea as to what is out there, can anyone help?

Soldato
Im loving my Nomad 2 for a do-it-all bike, it was a hard choice between that and a Tracer 2 for me, just a couple of spec differences between the two.

Associate
They do look nice! At the moment i've looked at the following but having really heard many comparisons etc;
Mythic Wildcard
Spesh Enduro
Lapierre Spicy
Commencal Meta 5.5, 6 and SX

Spec wise doesn't matter as i'll be after a frame got my build already chalked up in my head;
Forks: Fox Talas
Brakes: Hope M4 F, Hope Mono R -probably be Techs
Bars: RaceFace Atlas
Stem: Something shiny and nice
Headset: Chris King
Cranks: RaceFace Atlas FR, Hope BB
Wheels: Mavic on Pro 2
Gears: Not sure but will be something like X9/XO or XTR or Saint (Whichever is more reasonably priced, have no loyalties with gears really)

Just need to hear all about the frames!

Edit: No suggestions of an Orange though please, i've ridden a fair few of them and just never ever liked them!

Last edited:
Associate
After a bit of advice, looking at selling my DH bike after my holiday in morzine because i feel one bike to rule them all is the way to go

Tried this myself a few times and I've come to the conclusion that it's next to impossible, there's always a compromise and I always end up wanting a full on DH bike again.

Associate
jimferno I'm definitely worried about that, but in all honesty i'm a student and have both limited space and time, for the moment a bike that could do DH and still be ridden uphill as well just presents something more useful, last year next year anyway, so hopefully i'll get a job and be able to afford to have both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom