*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yea I wouldn't mind seeing a video. I think there are only a few members who have put up 200kg+ squat videos.

I'll try and do it at... well, some point :p

It'll have to be on a day where my hay fever hasn't been going mad too. >.<

I personally prefer the Smith Machine version of squats (I do find it more comfortable). I know some people hate the SM version, I do free weight squats every couple of weeks though, but haven't really tried going super heavy with them. I usually sit at 120KG on those.

I prefer to do squats with no shoes, anyone else feel like that?

I'm really liking walking lunges right now.... they seem to completely own my legs. Do people prefer to do them with DB's or BB across shoulders? I've had a friend of mine (who is a PT) say that acoss the shoulders can lead to more risk of injury? :confused:

Soldato
I always squat in my socks :)
Did you do 200kg in the smith machine?

Yeah, a few reasons - mostly lack of a good spotter.

The problem with my gym - a lot of the people there are either twits, and the equipment section is fairly small - so I have to kind of make do without a spotter most of the time.

It's not particularly ideal though. I would change gyms, but it does do me, and frankly, is within walking distance to my place, and since I don't drive, I can't pass it up really. :o:(

Man of Honour
I'd love to see a 200kg smith squat with hip crease below knee :eek:

Are you sure it was 200kg? Not that it really matters, but smith bars aren't usually 20kg.

Soldato
Attempted some dips to see if chest still hurts after I tore something over 5 years ago. Looks like it never healed as it hurts somewhat today, right on the chest bone :( so much for getting the Squat rack with dip station!

Man of Honour
So finally decided on my new split I'm going to start today

Monday: Back/Triceps
Tuesday: Quads/Calves
Thursday: Chest/Biceps
Friday: Shoulders/Traps/Hams

Keeping stuff opposite means the second muscle group should always be fairly fresh so can hit it just as hard :)

Soldato
Had a week off, went and smashed shoulders today. And it felt good. Got lots of frustation to be releasing at the gym this week I feel, and back on the diet to lose the added weight from a week of binging.

Too many refined carbs and not enough hydration so I look like **** at the moment, will take a pic tomorrow or the day after and see where my weight is at. Going to be no more than 75kg by gym ratz meet, that is my goal. 74kg would be perfect.

Soldato
Can you guys help me out with a routine to work at home/boarding school? Currently lean as hell, just looking to stop looking quite so bleh. After summer I'll get a gym membership if I feel I need it, but being able to do it in my room at school would be a huge help as I can slot it in at 9pm after prep and before my shower. Got a York 20kg DB set (will probably get more weight before long), a CR2 Ergo, access to a bench (It's a piano one admittedly, but it's a double i.e. long and sturdy as hell. It'll support two sizeable americans easily so me (60kg) and a couple of dumbbells shouldn't strain it too much :D)and I'm familiar with bodyweight stuff, looking to get a bit bigger (but by no means bodybuilder huge), particularly my core as I have a slap bet with a friend (going on holiday together in August, whoever doesn't have a six pack gets two slaps, if we both manage it then we get a pat on the back).

Diet is pretty much sorted. I'm fairly good with nutrition and have started having an MP Hurricane XS shake at 11am every day and post-workout on workout days (Mon, Wed, Frid, Sat).

Looking to probably do Monday and Friday Arm/Chest/Back, Wednesday and Saturday Core and Legs if it helps.

Current state:
7388072448_54ab1cd687.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help. I am likely going to be gymming next school year but for now home/school bedroom would really be ideal. It might not be absolutely ideal in terms of achieving goals, but I'm sure I can take a fair stab at it?

Caporegime
Yeah, a few reasons - mostly lack of a good spotter.

The problem with my gym - a lot of the people there are either twits, and the equipment section is fairly small - so I have to kind of make do without a spotter most of the time.

It's not particularly ideal though. I would change gyms, but it does do me, and frankly, is within walking distance to my place, and since I don't drive, I can't pass it up really. :o:(

Ah I see. Deffo want a vid then lol. Smith is horrible with lots of weight I find!

Caporegime
Ksanti - doesn't sound like you have enough gear tbh, not to really grow.

As a basic though I'd be looking at either HST (hypertrophy specific training) or a basic push/pull/legs routing concentrating on main compounds :)

Soldato
Ksanti - doesn't sound like you have enough gear tbh, not to really grow.

As a basic though I'd be looking at either HST (hypertrophy specific training) or a basic push/pull/legs routing concentrating on main compounds :)

At first glance HST I can't see much that separates it other than working everything every time your work out rather than splitting it. Since convention is to split things through the week, why would that have been recommended if 'research' shows that putting them all together induces greater growth? Oh wait looking into it more I'm starting to get the progressive load increase logic, I guess? I'll definitely give that a try if that's recommended?

Also don't want to /really/ grow. Still want to stay fairly athletic just with more muscle

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a serious leg workout today:

BB Front Squats: 90kgx5, 90kgx5, 110kgx5, 120kgx5, 130kgx5;
BB Calf Raises: 90kgx5, 90kgx5, 110kgx5, 120kgx5, 130kgx5;
Seated Calf Extensions: 20kgx5, 20kgx5, 30kgx5, 40kgx5, 50kgx5;
Step-up Lunges: 2x25kgx5x5 each leg
BB SLDLs: 90kgx5, 90kgx5, 110kgx5, 120kgx5, 130kgx5;
DB Goblet Squats: 55kgx5x5

Going to 130kg was probably a bad idea..I was so incredibly tired after each exercise that I did struggle to do my goblet squats, but I did them and that's the main thing. In fact, the last two sets appeared to be much easier.

I wanted to let off some steam after a **** day at work and **** traffic so decided to do some gym work. Tuesday I will do chest/triceps. My arms are quite tender after the climbing on Saturday as well, I really noticed it.

I intend to do a wendler 5-3-1 workout next week, I forgot about it this week :S

David

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom