CAT D - Buying back

Associate
Hi All,

I was just hoping to tap the knowledge in here about cat D cars.

What percentage of their trade market value would an insurance company usually sell a cat d car for?

What are the sellers obligations come resale time?

Does it affect the insurance premium because the car is a CAT D?

Would you buy your own car back if it was CAT D'd?

Cheers,

Man of Honour
I would absolutely buy my car back if it was Cat D, especially as anything more serious than a parking mishap would likely result in that. You'll generally be offered the car at its salvage value, depending on the insurer. A minority of insurers will not allow you to purchase it. There are no insurance premium implications.

Soldato
its depends on the insurance company involved, my car when it was written off I brought the car back from them for £650~. They valued the car pre accident to be either £2200 or £2500. My insurer at the time was admiral.

Soldato
Hi All,

I was just hoping to tap the knowledge in here about cat D cars.

What percentage of their trade market value would an insurance company usually sell a cat d car for?

What are the sellers obligations come resale time?

Does it affect the insurance premium because the car is a CAT D?

Would you buy your own car back if it was CAT D'd?

Cheers,

I recently noticed Swift Cover, for one, will not insure a car that has been 'written off' so there may be others too. A quick HPI check revealed all was well so phew :)

Man of Honour
I believe they are also one of the insurers who will not sell you salvage. They seem one to avoid as there is a number of eyebrow rasing terms they seem to have.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I'm with fox, I would 100% buy my car back as a cat D. I searched too long and hard to find an unmolested example and I would say I would be hard pressed to find something I liked so much with all of the history it has. Having a car with a catalogue of history that has clearly wanted for nothing and has been cherished by the previous two owners is a rarity with the type of car I have.

That said, using the insurance money to go for an S2K could tempt me.
Touch wood I dont have to think about it.

My advice would be, if you have a car that you love then go for it. If it's just a chuckaway roundabout that you were considering upgrading in the next 18 months or so then it's not worth the hassle.

Permabanned
If it is cheap enough, you can be quids in.

My dad had the bumper damaged in a prang, he bought the car back for £1500 and pocketed £3000.

He would have probably got £3500 for the car on a good day anyway, before the crash.

Once cars are this cheap, Cat D makes little difference to most buyers as long as it has MOT and Tax.

Back
Top Bottom