What to do/ask for for 18th birthday

Soldato
If the only way you have of showing love to your child is buying them an exorbitant gift you really have failed as a parent.

Why is that relevant?
I don't think you know the OP or anyone posting in this thread, is it that hard to work out that some parents might be the same as others but just spend more on them?

Permabanned
I don't think sending your child to university is a exorbitant gift.

The OP Is already at uni and I think very few parents make any substantial contributions to the cost of going to uni. Most is probably spent on accommodation deposits and such.

They could just raise a jealous and petulant child instead.

LOL, Grow up. I know thats probably hard because the way you come across in this thread is that your parents placated you at every step of your development and now your an arrogant keyboard warrior. But I think its apparent with your hostile attitude that your parents bought your affection or you bullied them in to providing for you well in to adulthood and you regret the way you behaved to this day.

Caporegime
LOL, Grow up. I know thats probably hard because the way you come across in this thread is that your parents placated you at every step of your development and now your an arrogant keyboard warrior. But I think its apparent with your hostile attitude that your parents bought your affection or you bullied them in to providing for you well in to adulthood and you regret the way you behaved to this day.

Cold. Miles out unfortunately, I've had some sort of job ever since I was 14 and been in continuous full time employment since the age of 18. Thanks for the analysis though it's been most helpful. All I can gather from your attitude is that you were raised in a coal bunker, fed on scraps and only allowed out to go to school where you were violently beaten until you became the bitter and resentful adult you are today. Nothing wrong with parents buying gifts or keepsakes, doesn't even sound like the OP is asking for much - in fact his parents are asking him so direct your bile elsewhere.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The OP Is already at uni and I think very few parents make any substantial contributions to the cost of going to uni. Most is probably spent on accommodation deposits and such.

How did you manage to work that out? I am still in college and will be doing a HND for another two years at college. They want to buy me something nice that will be with me for a while. Like people said, a car or nice watch, because it is a very big birthday. I said I don't want much because I am happy with what I have currently.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Your analysis of me is far wrong, I had loving parents. Your story sounds fictitious I think you mollycoddled.

The OP isnt asking for anything he is getting driving lessons paid for which should be enough for anyone, plus he said he was working so he can save up for a car when he passes his test if thats what he wants. So it sounds like his parents are having trouble realizing they dont have a child any more but an adult son and he should tell them after 18 years of raising him they need to treat themselves to something they undoubtedly had to sacrifice during his upbringing.

Permabanned
How did you manage to work that out? I am still in college and will be doing a HND for another two years at college. They want to buy me something nice that will be with me for a while. Like people said, a car or nice watch, because it is a very big birthday. I said I don't want much because I am happy with what I have currently.

When I started posting in this thread everyone was on about student loans so I just assumed you was in uni now.

Back
Top Bottom