Civilization V

Soldato
i used to think that but now im used to it and really prefer it.

I remember in civ 4 sitting there watching 70+pikemen and musketmen attack one of my 12 Mech Infantry fortified cities. It just gets incredibly stupid.

Only thing i do not like is all units embarking ability - They should have kept transport ships and to some extent airports.

Yeah, at first I thought the embarking idea was good but I think I preferred dedicated transports. Haven't played as far as getting airports yet. Really should make the effort and give it another chance.

Caporegime
Religion and espionage which were pretty good aspects from civ 3/4

its not a whole load more but its just a bit more depth to whats just a war game at the moment.

Hopefully major AI reworking too.

i preordered for 12:99 from GAMEonline.

ive loved CIV since i was a kid so they could release a dogturd and id buy it for 13 quid all day long.

Associate
Looks like Carthage will be able to traverse mountains...

Is it just their elephants that can do it or all units? Would be quite annoying playing against Carthage if they just plonk some strong ranged units on the mountains and your infantry + cavalry were left unable to attack them.

Caporegime
I dont think they can end a turn on a mountain, just cross it.

Some of the new civs abilities look very Op and some useless...

Ethopians get a massive defence bonus if they have less cities than the person attacking them...

Austrians? (i think) get the ability to "marry" city states and turn them to your
side....

Dutch get mad trade bonuses and free harbours.

They all seem so much better and well thought out than previous civs.

Oh and Celts Boudicia get the + religion to each enemy killed like the Aztec +culture --- that will be silly

Associate
For Carthage, I think any units left on a mountain at the end of the turn lose some HP, but I don't know how much, and get free harbours.

Austria can buy allied citystates to turn them into annexed cities.

Mayan's get a free great person at the end of each of their calanders.

Soldato
Been playing a bit more lately, I kind of gave up on it too easily when I tried it before.

Once you get involved with it, there area lot of improvements; the interface is much more slick, the graphics are excellent, the combat system with 1 unit per tile does actually make you think about movement more (although I still think there should be the ability to at least stack a limited number).

But every so often I find things that infuriate me. Cant end a turn until you've given every unit some orders; so I have to go through all the units and give them orders (or set them to sleep). Then I click "end turn" and find there's another few units that need orders as well.

Upgrading units - annoying. No option to upgrade every unit of the same type. No option to upgrade to the latest tech unit available. And if you upgrade a unit in a city, it de-garrisons the unit, and you cant re-garrison them immediately. Not a huge deal you'd think, except that garrisoned units create happiness, so if you go through and upgrade your city garrisons, you suddenly find your empire in a state of discontent.

Zones of control - a game mechanic that was taken away after Civ2 and I was glad to see the back of it. But it's returned in Civ5. Just don't see the value in it and it's frustrating not being able to move a unit because the enemy is standing in the next tile.

Happiness - Not sure making it a global resource is a good thing.

Bi-polar AI - You can spend hundreds of game years building a good relationship with a leader, only to have them turn on you and denounce you for very tenuous reasons. Or declare war without provocation. Just feels very disjointed.

Worst of all, there's the AI, which seems to have no idea about combat and I hear it's completely unable to embark land units.

I'm tempted to get the expansion if I can for a good price (I only paid £7.50 for Civ5 itself). Having religion and espionage back might rejuvenate the depth of the game some, but I have a feeling the core issues are going to remain.

Soldato
Bi-polar AI - You can spend hundreds of game years building a good relationship with a leader, only to have them turn on you and denounce you for very tenuous reasons. Or declare war without provocation. Just feels very disjointed.
They removed the annoying "You're trying to win the game the same way as us" reason for the AI turning on you. It's now much better. It now really depands on the personality of the Civ involved. For example if your neighbours are Monty, Alex or Genghis Khan then no matter what you do they will declare war on you. The others can be won round though.
Worst of all, there's the AI, which seems to have no idea about combat and I hear it's completely unable to embark land units.
The AI will embark some units for exploring or the odd few to fight but it's not capable of waging war over water.

Soldato
They removed the annoying "You're trying to win the game the same way as us" reason for the AI turning on you. It's now much better. It now really depands on the personality of the Civ involved. For example if your neighbours are Monty, Alex or Genghis Khan then no matter what you do they will declare war on you. The others can be won round though.

You mean in the expansion? That's good then. I'm quite tempted to buy - like someone else said, I'm a complete sucker for the Civ games.

The AI will embark some units for exploring or the odd few to fight but it's not capable of waging war over water.

Which is annoying. One thing I've missed in the Civ games is some emphasis on naval combat. Would like to have some big naval engagements and seaborne invasions. They've made that easier in Civ5 with auto embarking for units, but it's kind of pointless if the AI will barely dip it's toes in the water. I might try an archipelago map tonight and see how the AI fares for myself.

Associate
I've ordered the expansion from Steam and looking forward to playing it.

Civ V have been very enjoyable overall - it has it's problems as mentioned above but overall it's great.

Soldato
Looks like Carthage will be able to traverse mountains...

Is it just their elephants that can do it or all units? Would be quite annoying playing against Carthage if they just plonk some strong ranged units on the mountains and your infantry + cavalry were left unable to attack them.

What do you get if you cross an Alp with an elephant?

To the gates of Rome.
:D

MCH

MCH

Associate
It's a great game just like all Civ 5's, nothing like putting a day aside to play civ with 3/4 mates. However this game is incredibly buggy, I really don't know how it passed basic sanity/smoke tests half the time.

Soldato
Soldato
Let us know first impressions! I gotta wait for payday >_<

Very, very good. I only got to Medieval era before beddy boes time, but what I played of it felt so much better than vanilla. Religion adds so much to the early game, much more interesting than Civ 4. Pretty cool if you focus on it a bit to see your religion to start naturally spreading to neighbouring cities / city states, and if it takes root there spreading further again. City states also feel much more interesting providing more ways to please them, seemingly not being so mental in their requests (so far) and combine very well with the new faith resource which also adds a hell of a lot to the early game. The AI seems much improved also, got into a pretty dicey war at one point that felt very touch and go at times ... my biggest gripe with vanilla was always the naval side of things when it came to AI though and didn't see much of that by that era, but might restart on an islands map to check that out.

Overall just feels much more involving and more fun to play, especially in the earliest eras. Can't wait to try out espionage :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom