Who's weekend did Natwest ruin?

Soldato
Is it just me that wouldn't be having a £200 "treat myself" weekend if I had zero savings and was living on the bread line with "mouths to feed"?

No, it isn't just you - there's plenty of other people who have jumped on that bandwagon on the first page.

It is sound financial advice to tell people not to treat themselves while they've got no savings, but it's very difficult to get out of that position. We're not all perfect.

Associate
OP
No, it isn't just you - there's plenty of other people who have jumped on that bandwagon on the first page.

It is sound financial advice to tell people not to treat themselves while they've got no savings, but it's very difficult to get out of that position. We're not all perfect.

I wasnt going to post anymore, As im a little downhearted how everyone seemed to attack me for making that comment, thanks for saying that Halk.

Soldato
I actually could go into great detail why you shouldn't be in that position, or more exactly why it's so attractive to get out of that position, but when I do that monologue I sound like a teacher talking to a child :p

Suffice to say we all do things we shouldn't - not enough exercise, don't go to bed at the right time, don't eat right, don't save enough, etc etc etc.

The best solution is to create a plan which will take you from the position you're in to the position you can realistically achieve, while being realistic about your actual month to month expenses. Decide how much you can treat yourself along the way realising that if you do it too much it'll stop you achieving your goals completely or delay them.

But it's very very easy to see what other people are doing wrong, and very easy to be critical. Life would be easy if we could all just make the right choice every time.

Soldato
Is it just me that wouldn't be having a £200 "treat myself" weekend if I had zero savings and was living on the bread line with "mouths to feed"?

Nope, makes sense to 'save' some money if you have no savings and are living week by week.

Computer stuff and 'treats' won't help save you on a rainy day.

Soldato
Or simply:

Step 1: don't spend £200 on toys
Step 2: put it in a savings account
???
Next time you are short of cash for things which are necessary, you have £200!

Soldato
I was able to use my debit card twice today.

I am just glad that my mortgage completed last week. Had to transfer more than £6000 to the solicitor in the middle of last week, so that she could get everything sorted. If it had been this week, i'd have been royally screwed.

When I log into my bank account, one place says I have £38 left, another says I have £1.05, I thankfully don't need to make any payments for the next few days.

Sounds like lots of people have really been shafted though :(

Soldato
Sounds like they did an upgrade to the production batch scheduling system (they use CA7 apparently) and lost the schedule.

So everyones "money" is still there, probably sat as files in series of directories along with millions of others waiting for the job to come along and do the batch update.

Why they are struggling to restore the schedule is the question....

Soldato
I wouldn't worry about that, no way they would charge you any fines for going over considering it's their fault.

Yeah unless you are with another bank and you go over as your pay didn't come through.
Unlikely other banks will be so happy clappy to sort you right out when it isn't their problem.

The worst stories are on the news, some chaps house sales and purchases completed, except they didn't, he is out of his old house, and the money isn't released to let him into his new one.

Or the couple who lost their baby, and planned to pay for her gravestone this weekend.

Associate
Natwest fraud team decided to block my card so I have no use of my debit card. Due to the service issues I cannot transfer my funds to another bank account, I'm unable to go to one of there branches to withdraw funds due to work (a competitor to Natwest) and I don't currently have a phone that supports the mobile banking which would allow me to withdraw cash without the card.

Also missed out on paying letting agent fee for my new flat so may miss out on it.

The only thing I can do is hope the service is up and running asap.

I've got the complaints team calling me on Monday morning. I wish them good luck negotiating compensation with me. Threats of ombudsman may mean a few hundred coming my way.

Soldato
lloyds ftw.....

cant imagine this situation but at certain parts of the month i would be seriously affected.. i have 10kplus savings with this bank and make my current account very finley run...

anyway good luck ot those affected

Soldato
I despair at comments saying EHRMAGAWD I CANT FEED MAH KIDS, people need to sort their finances out if that's the case.

You know there are some people who aren't fortunate enough to have any disposable income, despite how hard they are trying to "sort their finances out". I'm happy for you that you don't have the financial obligations that they have, but is there really any need to act all superior about being lucky in life?

Back
Top Bottom