Marines and Paras differences?

Associate
OP is 17. From your posts in this thread you seriously sound like you've played a lot of COD and think it would be 'cool' to be in a hardcore military unit, but have actually no idea what and how much ridiculously hard work it entails.

Go prove us wrong I guess :p!

Soldato
OP is 17. From your posts in this thread you seriously sound like you've played a lot of COD and think it would be 'cool' to be in a hardcore military unit, but have actually no idea what and how much ridiculously hard work it entails.

Everyone starts somewhere.

Enthusiasm and wanting to do it because it's cool is as good a starting place as any.

Soldato
I knew a guy in the SAS, used to go out with my sister, he wasent a hard man, more like an athletic type movie star, i shouldn't even be saying this here but was a long time ago 20 years. Cool guy though.

This is kind of irrelevant to this discussion more name dropping haha :) Anyway long time ago now so i think i can say this.

Soldato
I have no experience in what the Paras do, but I have worked with Marines in various places.

Whilst on deployment to the Gulf, they are our boarding team who will go out by RIB to the various skiffs, gain intel and if necessary (suspected pirates for example) board them.

They are also trained in fast roping aswell incase the vessel in question is a tanker or something big and cannot be boarded by normal means.

The other place I worked with them was Hasler Company in Plymouth. Not nice - this is the rehabilitation place where marines go. Whilst I commend anyone that would want to do this for a career, bear in mind there is a risk of not coming back complete / dead. Not a nice thing to think about, but please bear this in mind when applying to either the paras or marines.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
I knew a guy in the SAS, used to go out with my sister, he wasent a hard man, more like an athletic type movie star, i shouldn't even be saying this here but was a long time ago 20 years. Cool guy though.

This is kind of irrelevant to this discussion more name dropping haha :) Anyway long time ago now so i think i can say this.

Yea my sister was dating Santa Claus but don't tell anyone!

Soldato

I don't think you're going to get hauled up under breach of the official secrets act for saying that your sister once went out with a special forces soldier :p

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice lads. Seems the Marines are in favour :cool:

What a pointless post.

Who hasn't played CoD? I'm not stupid enough to base my future on glorified, etc, etc FPS. How do other people decide they're going to join a "hardcore military unit"? I'm sure they think it's cool, maybe they don't want to be an average Joe, it's not like God came to them in the middle of the night and told them "son, you're going to join the Marines". As for not knowing how much hard work it entails, what gave you that impression? I can read the training schedule, that's tells me almost everything I need to know about how hard it is. Anything else I'll find out when I get there. I'm under no illusion that it's easy, at all.

Associate
I had considered joining the marines a couple of years back, I was even set on it at one point. In the end I didn't think I'd fit in very well, I just imagined everyone was a 'proper man' and I wouldn't have a big enough ego.

Soldato
If you can't make up your mind join the Engineers, they can train in either the Marines or Para's (I knew a couple who had actually done both and could wear which ever beret they wanted).

Soldato
I have a question:

In today's current war zones (being sandy places) who would be deployed first?

Lets say for example something did kick off in Iran, or where ever the next place will be, who would be deployed first, Paras or Marines? Paras are part of 16 Air Assault Brigade which is the armies rapid response unit, so would they be deployed first? Or would both be deployed at the same time?
both to a degree, there are rapid reaction task forces setup for these eventualities comprising of both.
it would depend on where they were being deployed to.
http://www.armedforces.co.uk/mod/listings/l0027.html

Suspended
In my experience, Royal Marines are more intelligent, affable and mentally stable than Paras. Paras, and especially young Paras have this idea that they have to live up to an image. They aren't bright to start with, but they are a nightmare when they are out socially. Mouthy little scrotes.

All branches of the military are getting the shaft from Cool Dave ATM, but FWIW, I'd look at the RM first.

Back
Top Bottom