*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Caporegime
I'll get some 0% brightness action on the go and try and get 6 hours with the X, just to rain on your parade... ;)

It's okay as long as I don't go outside! :p

Lol :D

Remember to leave the phone on airplane mode as well :p :D

How is the battery life on the X with that ROM :cool: and your normal usage now? Still the same?

yeah i've had 5 hours before but not with quite so heavy use i don't think, also slightly higher brightness for the majority this time. Quite consistent though i have to say.

I've not tried it running zero brightness for long periods of time :p Maybe that's next on the cards. I need another formula 1 weekend though so i can justify using my phone all day :D

(*disables all syncing and as many apps as possible in preparation :cool:)

edit: ohhh yes avatar change :D :D

Yeah, likewise, mostly get 4 hours to 4 hours 40 minutes on screen time spread out across 1 or 2 days with my usage (more or less the same each day really).

haha, I think I will have to give that a go as well :D :p

And congrats! :cool:

I really want that avatar!!!! Still a long way to go! Guess I better drop in to general discussion and spam a way sometime :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How is the battery life on the X with that ROM and your normal usage now? Still the same? :cool:

Hard to say at the moment, it's definitely quite a lot better than it was before, but I don't think 4 hours+ is going to be a regular thing.

Switching around between apps and doing various different things takes a greater toll on the battery than just watching a video, so it's what I expected really.

I think 3 and a half hours screen time over 30 hours will be what I get on average, which is perfectly fine I suppose (that's with no video watching, so it's browsing and such mostly).

I think I'll be able to get some good results with the GS3 when I get it (in a couple of weeks or so).

Caporegime
Hard to say at the moment, it's definitely quite a lot better than it was before, but I don't think 4 hours+ is going to be a regular thing.

Switching around between apps and doing various different things takes a greater toll on the battery than just watching a video, so it's what I expected really.

I think 3 and a half hours screen time over 30 hours will be what I get on average, which is perfectly fine I suppose (that's with no video watching, so it's browsing and such mostly).

I think I'll be able to get some good results with the GS3 when I get it (in a couple of weeks or so).

Sounds a lot better than stock anyway!

Is that with auto brightness or manual control?

Browsing is the biggest killer for me, I think if I didn't browse as much, 5 hours+ would be standard. Damn AMOLED screens for browsing!!!!! :p

It will be interesting to hear your overall thoughts on the GS 3 especially battery life as it still seems to be mixed user reviews on it.

You going for white or PB?

Man of Honour
Sounds a lot better than stock anyway!

Is that with auto brightness or manual control?

Browsing is the biggest killer for me, I think if I didn't browse as much, 5 hours+ would be standard. Damn AMOLED screens for browsing!!!!! :p

It will be interesting to hear your overall thoughts on the GS 3 especially battery life as it still seems to be mixed user reviews on it.

You going for white or PB?

Auto brightness (which is why it's particularly good)!

I'm going for blue. I like the white but I think in the right light (indoors) the blue model looks pretty good. I don't think the design is remotely inspiring but it looks good enough if the rest of the phone ticks all the boxes.

The small black border around the edge of the screen is far more potent on the white model too, and that will just get annoying and makes it look dodgy.

Soldato
That's odd nexus i seem to get the same whether i use it mostly for browsing or video. Today for instance i was browsing on and off for the entire GP which was from like 1pm till 4/4:30. Minus the ~hour and a half video this morning the rest of the screen time was browsing which got the same usage as when i spent about 4 and a half hours watching video a while ago :o

Caporegime
Auto brightness (which is why it's particularly good)!

I'm going for blue. I like the white but I think in the right light (indoors) the blue model looks pretty good. I don't think the design is remotely inspiring but it looks good enough if the rest of the phone ticks all the boxes.

The small black border around the edge of the screen is far more potent on the white model too, and that will just get annoying and makes it look dodgy.

The auto brightness on these phones is rather good regarding battery life, surprisingly! Will have to give it another go and see how things go.

At least mrk won't give you any trouble then :p :D

Completely agree with you! White phones and any devices just don't do it for me (use a white TP-link adapter and I can't stand looking at it!!! Tempted to paint it black :o :p) and I wasn't impressed with the white GS 3 at all, too glossy and shiny and as you said the black border around the edge of the screen is annoying, the silver trim on the sides looks rather good though.

I do quite like the look of the white X though, but I don't think I could live with it for 1+ year(s) :p

A nice rock/nillkin case will make the back of the GS 3 look better as well :)

That's odd nexus i seem to get the same whether i use it mostly for browsing or video. Today for instance i was browsing on and off for the entire GP which was from like 1pm till 4/4:30. Minus the ~hour and a half video this morning the rest of the screen time was browsing which got the same usage as when i spent about 4 and a half hours watching video a while ago :o

Really?! :eek:

Browsing is the main thing that absolutely hammers my battery compared to everything else, it is the biggest drainer by far, will post a better battery stats screenshot sometime (I can get good battery use out of it though, about 1 hour activity and still manage 4 hours+ on screen time)

Also, does anyone know what "tpd" is? It uses a bit of battery, but I have no idea what it is :p :o

Man of Honour
Completely agree with you! White phones and any devices just don't do it for me (use a white TP-link adapter and I can't stand looking at it!!! Tempted to paint it black :o :p) and I wasn't impressed with the white GS 3 at all, too glossy and shiny and as you said the black border around the edge of the screen is annoying, the silver trim on the sides looks rather good though.

I do quite like the look of the white X though, but I don't think I could live with it for 1+ year(s) :p

A nice rock/nillkin case will make the back of the GS 3 look better as well :)

Yeah, I'm not a big white phone fan either, but I think the X looks great in white due to the design of it.

I had a white iPhone 4, but only because I'd had two black ones previously so wanted a change before the 4S came out. After a short while I really didn't like it (even though it looks okay, the black is a lot better), the border around the screen bugged me no end!

I think I'll get a rock case and see how it goes. They do look good (though that could just be some fancy photography, wouldn't be the first time... ;))

Also, does anyone know what "tpd" is? It uses a bit of battery, but I have no idea what it is :p :o

Google suggests it's a Twitter widget?

Caporegime
Yeah, I'm not a big white phone fan either, but I think the X looks great in white due to the design of it.

I had a white iPhone 4, but only because I'd had two black ones previously so wanted a change before the 4S came out. After a short while I really didn't like it (even though it looks okay, the black is a lot better), the border around the screen bugged me no end!

I think I'll get a rock case and see how it goes. They do look good (though that could just be some fancy photography, wouldn't be the first time... ;))

haha, indeed! :p :D

At first I wasn't keen on the rock case when I seen the first lot of pics for it, but it has grown on me and I kind of love the look of the finish now and the feel of it sounds like it is very good. Wish more places would sell it for the S though, can only find one person on ebay selling it :(

Google suggests it's a Twitter widget?

:confused:

I have everything twitter related disabled..........

Soldato
Sarge - Is there any way proving that? I ask because there is something stupid going on with it's mobile reception.

Here's a v.quick screen shot of the type of thing that's going on. (accelerated with death grip for the chart, actually death grip is probably the biggest issue with this phone tbh)

7433524838_5ec56fe365_z.jpg

A: The phone is flat on a desk with a decent signal (similar reception to the Arc/Defy/iPhone etc)
B: Pick up the phone in portrait and it looses signal strength fairly quickly (OEMs would say this is good enough)
C: The phone switches to a new tower. (this is where a software fix/calibration is needed)
D: The phone is back on the desk connected to the new tower.
E: Holding the phone in portrait.
F: Signal dips and switches over to a new tower.

Here's what it should look like without any drop outs.
7431423880_3d55f17608_z.jpg

It's a real nightmare in low coverage areas, you might get the 'no signal' message often even though there's a good tower nearby. A software fix/calibration should be a massive help but you'd still have that death grip to contend with.
I'd recommend a plastic body phone if your out in the sticks or get a v.low signal when the phone is held normally in portrait.

Soldato
Really?! :eek:

Browsing is the main thing that absolutely hammers my battery compared to everything else, it is the biggest drainer by far, will post a better battery stats screenshot sometime (I can get good battery use out of it though, about 1 hour activity and still manage 4 hours+ on screen time)

Yeah i've not noticed a difference at all i do pretty much the same day to day usage and then either browse or watch video in the evening/morning. Maybe something to do with screen colour? What colour are the backgrounds you normally browse? Although saying that mine are mainly blue ocuk, white reddit/facebook so that should be pretty heavy. Who knows :p

Caporegime
Same for me as well. Mostly ocuk and a bit of xda.

And yeah the darker the colour the less power it uses and the brighter the colour the more power it uses then for amoled screens.

Associate
Here's a v.quick screen shot of the type of thing that's going on. (accelerated with death grip for the chart, actually death grip is probably the biggest issue with this phone tbh)

Sarge you rascal - can you report to HTC headquarters Monday morning and have a word with them :D

Pretty much is what happens to me. I can be sat at -105 (all figures are dBm) holding it in portrait. Move my hand away from antenna and signal rises to around -91. Signal does jump about as you say and suspected it was jumping masts. Even now signal suddenly jumped to -53 for about 15 secs then jumped again down to the weaker signal and weaker mast I presume? If I go to local bigger town where there are plenty of strong masts then there are no problems with strong signal all the way. That said I never checked the death grip in town. My old motorola defy+ gives a graph similar to your second with just a pretty much flat line in the 75dBm region.

I tested phone in town yesterday and it was great. Even ran a speed test and got 91ms ping, 14.84Mbps down and 1.59Mbps up. Generally get a ping of 150-300ms and .85mbps up and down at home though have had a lot more two but not as fast as yesterdays town reading.

What to do with One S I dunno. Both One X and Samsung GSIII are both a little larger and would be so with a case on - currently using an OtterBox Commuter. I'm hoping HTC sort the damned job but not confident. We have a great signal from Three here and literally are dominated with the blooming great mast to the east? I read the Tech Radar review of the One S and remember how they said signal reception was on the whole a lot better than most phones - I could strangle them now :(

Caporegime
Just tried that test a couple of times within my house, seems to be random for me as to what will happen:confused:

Times were I completely grip the top of the mobile and the signal stays the same, other times it drops considerably..........leaving on the table and then picking it up doesn't affect it half the time, but other times it does etc.

TVB6Y.png

Lfe0C.png

Thankfully I haven't had the signal cut out again *touch wood* at all since that time I posted about the problem, so must have been a problem on o2's end or due to the heavy clouds in the morning.

Happy with the signal as I get at least 2 bars at home (average about 3 or 4) and 4-5 in the town areas etc. enough to make calls etc. but it would be nice if an update makes it even stronger and more consistent.

Soldato
Could someone with this phone do me a big favour and check in display settings to see if you can adjust the font size to huge and also when you go into a message thread can you pinch to zoom in and out to enlarge the size of the text please? I want to get one for my mum who is registered blind and you can do this with my one x but she doesn't need a phone that expensive!

Caporegime
I just checked on my bro's desire (stock 2.2 android) and it doesn't have that feature.

No idea about other phones, never something that I bothered about or looked for in a phone :p Probably a bit of both ICS and sense.

Didn't even realise you could pinch to zoom in and out in the stock SMS app :o :p

I took a few screenshots just to show the browser usage compared to other stuff, was streaming 720P HD TV episodes and 1080P blu ray films for a bit via BS player lite and watching a bit of TV via the TVcatchup app amongst the usual stuff, auto brightness this time:

9JPka.png 8lTaS.png GPZwm.png dbIVJ.png seb4T.png
No idea why tpd is there!!!!! Twitter is completely disabled :mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom