Just gave blood again, do you?

Soldato
Nope - i'm a taker, not a giver....

Never gave blood but have had 6 blood transfusions so i'm something of a mongrel now lol.
Want to give blood to give back but i can't as rules say i cannot - but thanks to everyone who does give.

You helped save my life!

Man of Honour
No local anaesthetic. Was that for when they put the needle in? Can't say I really felt any discomfort, just a small scratch when they inserted the needle.

Yes. There used to be a local for whole blood as well, but that was dropped for financial reasons over a decade ago: only a registered nurse or qualified doctor can administer a local, but anyone with training can insert an IV needle. Then a couple of years ago they stopped it for apheresis as well. Those of us who have been donating a while liked to keep the local, but newbies don't even get the choice. I've tried without, and I'm not a fan. It's okay without a local for whole blood, but a lot better with for apheresis.

M

Huw

Huw

Associate
Before we go away on exercise/detachment we have to have a medical from the doctor to ensure we are fit to go away etc. My last medical the doctor noticed my blood group and got really angry that I didn't give blood. I'm B negative and apparently only about 2-3% of the population are this blood type.

I'm going to start giving blood.

I'm not sure I understand your doc's attitude. While it may be difficult to find a donor with your blood type, surely it's also commensurately less likely that yours will actually be needed, too? Therefore, unless I'm missing something totally obvious and making a fool of myself, isn't the important thing just that people donate, regardless of their blood type?

Nope - i'm a taker, not a giver....

Never gave blood but have had 6 blood transfusions so i'm something of a mongrel now lol.
Want to give blood to give back but i can't as rules say i cannot - but thanks to everyone who does give.

You helped save my life!

:)

That's why we do it!

Associate
I'm not sure I understand your doc's attitude. While it may be difficult to find a donor with your blood type, surely it's also commensurately less likely that yours will actually be needed, too? Therefore, unless I'm missing something totally obvious and making a fool of myself, isn't the important thing just that people donate, regardless of their blood type?

I think its mostly because people with an unusual blood type like to feel special, the really special ones are the O- s as they can refill anyone.

The important thing is that you give. Better that A/B+ is given to a A/B+ to save the universally important O-.

Soldato
Hats off to those that can and do give, it's a noble gesture. I'd like to be able to do it myself, but I have an aversion to needles. I can hack injections as it's "Boom!" in & out, but having to give blood samples is a nightmare. When I had my pre-op for my gall bladder surgery in 2009 they couldn't find a vein, resorting to routing around with the needle in my arm for what felt like an eternity. Next thing I know I'm coming round on the clinic floor having feinted and slid off the chair. And to add to the ignominy, I'd wet myself while unconscious. :(

Soldato
I keep trying to give my blood to the clinic out here and they send out emails asking me to donate, but then they never tell me when, fail medical centre is a failure
My work is meant to let us know when the van arrives & get us all out forms to fill in for it, but I'm still waiting.

I've signed up & I'm signed up-to the Anthony Nolan register also, but giving blood is proving to be difficult down here (compared to the Midlands).

Associate
I would like to give blood. I'm a universal donor so my blood would go to use.

However, I'm anamic and underweight and got a transfusion when I was born in 1989 (unless there's a time limit on that) so can't do it.

Back
Top Bottom