Considerate employers

Man of Honour
So...there are plenty of stories about rubbish working conditions under terrible employers. I'm in a cheery mood so I'm going to start the opposite.

I went in to work at ~1700 one day this week (half a day off as I'd done a few extra hours) having just found out that my boiler had broken. I had to have a cold shower and go to work.

My employer's response was to offer me the next day off so I could be in for an engineer. Paid - he'd arrange it so it was part of my annual holiday leave.

Associate
Most employers won't let you take holiday O.o?
My job i can turn up in the morning and ask for the afternoon off as holiday and it's np, or as i'm leaving ask for the next day off... Doesn't bother them as it's my holiday allowance.

Caporegime
So long as I work my monthly hours I can come and go as I please (without taking the Michael). Need that half day off to go pick something up? Just tell my director that I'm going. Worked an extra 8 hours over the course of the week? Have a day off. Fancy starting at 7 and finishing at 3 (or starting at 11 and finishing at 7)? Just go ahead.

Associate
So long as I work my monthly hours I can come and go as I please (without taking the Michael). Need that half day off to go pick something up? Just tell my director that I'm going. Worked an extra 8 hours over the course of the week? Have a day off. Fancy starting at 7 and finishing at 3 (or starting at 11 and finishing at 7)? Just go ahead.

Same entirely :) It's awesome isn't it :D

Caporegime

It has been like this for the past 3 years with my awesome (now gone) manager. Gave me a free half-day when my gf's grandad died (company policy is only for direct family) and a free day off for his funeral.

Soldato
Mine gives us Christmas through to the new year off as additional holiday, flexible working conditions and soon Herman Miller Mirra chairs :) I have nothing to complain about, we are very well looked after.

Soldato
Most employers won't let you take holiday O.o?
My job i can turn up in the morning and ask for the afternoon off as holiday and it's np, or as i'm leaving ask for the next day off... Doesn't bother them as it's my holiday allowance.

If your a nurse such as myself, you cant just say toodles im not coming in tomorrow, as that would leave the ward short staffed.
We have to book our holidays at the start of the tax year but saying that if there was an emergency they try to accommodate you, but cant always so yeah some jobs you cant just have holiday. :)

Permabanned
wow employer of the year for letting you use your holiday entitlement lol

my employer has special leave for things like that, its basically up to 5 days a year for emergencies, sick kids etc thats on top of an already generous 32 days leave <3 civil service terms and conditions :)

Soldato
I'm currently working from home in Stockholm at my girlfriend's house here as she is home for summer (studies in Scotland).

Because I've been travelling a lot my manager doesn't mind as long as I actually do work since I get to see her! (she's working during the day too).

Permabanned
They don't have to give it at short notice though.

No, but it is hardly altruistic....in fact it probably suited the employer which is why it was offered.

There are plenty of firms who either offer 'short notice personal days', 'flexible working' or similar and do not take it out of your holiday entitlement.

The point being it doesn't make the employer particularly considerate as the OP contends as there are plenty of examples that show true consideration other than simply allowing short notice statutory holiday leave for emergencies...which is pretty standard good management practice.

Last edited:
Soldato
We try to be as flexible as we can with holidays (notified or otherwise), and in return we like to have a bit of flexibility with contact when they're out of the office.

A good company with good procedures and policies should not worry if staff take time off.

It's more awkward for us if people want to take long term leave (3+ months), because finding competent staff willing to take relatively short contracts is difficult.

Back
Top Bottom