*** Official OcUK Minecraft Server - Discussion and Rules ***

Man of Honour
OP
I don't have time to investigate further at the moment. Will have to wait until next week for anything other than a temporary fix.

I think it should be working okay now. If not I'll just have to take it down for an extended period - so I really hope that it is okay.

Man of Honour
OP
Just stumbled upon this mod http://www.curse.com/server-mods/minecraft/lagmeter - could it be an idea to get that running on the server to determine what setups cause too much strain and see how the server is fairing?

Possibly though reading the description suggests that the information that it provides is rudimentary at best. I can tell you now that the ticks aren't hitting 20 all the time...as I'm sure you've already worked out.

Using it as a measure when enabling/disabling certain machines could work I guess, though I'm not sure that the results will be anything more than obvious.

Soldato
Erm regarding the lag/crashing it could have been from my house as I have been offline for 5 days while I moved to a new home and just went on to see one of my transport pipes had been left on spewing cobble everywhere from my recycler there was about 15 20 stacks on the floor not sure if this was the cause if it was I am really sorry I didn't even know it was on, I have picked them all up now and destroyed the cobble feed. :(

Associate
Erm regarding the lag/crashing it could have been from my house as I have been offline for 5 days while I moved to a new home and just went on to see one of my transport pipes had been left on spewing cobble everywhere from my recycler there was about 15 20 stacks on the floor not sure if this was the cause if it was I am really sorry I didn't even know it was on, I have picked them all up now and destroyed the cobble feed. :(

this could have been an issue only if the area was loaded.
as there could have been a large build up of the cobble in the area
but i dont think it would have been the full issues

Associate

Not wanting to have a moan :)p (and I'm sure most people are unaware of potential problems with BC pipes)) but this is why everyone should use RedPower Pneumatic tubes. No overflowing & no cobble produced when there's not a valid open inventory, along with a much better routing system.

Additionally, if someone is using a world anchor/someone nearby has a world anchor, there will not be any overflow due to pipes leading through unloaded chunks. RP will just detect there's no inventory connected, and nothing will happen, whereas BC pipes will happily pipe the items through, leading to a massive pile of entities laying on the floor! :p

NoLagg should have an option to group similar entities into stacks, removing some of the entity lag. Additionally, it can delete entities if the amount surpasses the specified limit, so if a cobble machine explodes/overflows, then it will start removing entities after 100 have appeared, for example.

Last edited:
Associate
Meep, I have decided to start work on an automated HV solar array system. Early stages yet and still need to figure out a lot of stuff :).

Also, think our iron problems can be solved! An iron ingot farm! Not sure how feasible it is in practice. It requires us to kidnap some npc villagers haha.

Soldato
One thing that I've read that can cause lag is a large number of wire intersections. One example of this is my 21 geothermal generator, which has glass wire above the gens, because they are all next to eachother, each wire (except for the edges) is connected to 4 other wires as well as the gen. Now this is a small example of lots of wire interconnections, but if someone has a much more complex setup then that can cause issues. It should be noted though that battery boxes and transformers do not count as interconnections in terms of causing lag due to more CPU load, so feel free to have 6 wires connected to a battery box.

I'm not sure if that is the issue causing lag, it's just one of the issues that I know exists so could be worth looking into.

Associate
One thing that I've read that can cause lag is a large number of wire intersections. One example of this is my 21 geothermal generator, which has glass wire above the gens, because they are all next to eachother, each wire (except for the edges) is connected to 4 other wires as well as the gen. Now this is a small example of lots of wire interconnections, but if someone has a much more complex setup then that can cause issues. It should be noted though that battery boxes and transformers do not count as interconnections in terms of causing lag due to more CPU load, so feel free to have 6 wires connected to a battery box.

I'm not sure if that is the issue causing lag, it's just one of the issues that I know exists so could be worth looking into.

Yes I've read this as well.

Associate
Ok so some of the issues is with bad quarry managment.
Like leaveing Water flow in a finished quary.
The water streem cause a lot of lag when loaded
so when you finish mining with a quary take the time to kill all water flow
in that quary i spend the best part of an hour removing water from dead sites
that have other quarys running nect to them.

after removing thoes the lag cleared up a good bit not totaly as it was also discovered that the same avtive quaries where over flowing and dumping **** all over the place.

Learn to manage quaries better or dont use them.
I am looking now because of the issues of bringing in some new rules regards quaries and the size and clean up after wards.

Associate
Installed Tekkit on my server for me and 3 other mates... watched Duncan from the Yogscast's videos on it and it has breathed new life in Minecraft. Definitely the right step forward for the OCUK server!

Associate
Been meaning to watch his videos. After seeing the start of the jaffa cake factory the yogs cast guys are now making. It's taught me some new things :D

Not done much on the server do far played around with things but hopefully get to watch a few videos this weekend and try out some new things :)

Back
Top Bottom