BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I think it may have affected me too but not at that time was much earlier in the day around 4 o'clock till 8 o'clock for me but everything seems fine again today. We did have some serious thunderstorms yesterday too so it could have been this thats scuppered some of the network.

Associate
Is it common for bt to miss appointments? I have a good mind to complain to ofcom. I was with talktalk and bethere, decided to go for infinity2 with bt, placed the order online to have line moved to bt, gave them mac code for the broadband. I was given 15th june as my date for everything going live. All bt did was move my line over from talktalk on 15th, I called to find out and was told that the broadband team would pickup my order. A week went past I phoned up again and bt tell me that there has not been a broadband order placed. I mean wth!!, I have been sent emails from bt about the phone line/infinity package which I signed up to. Anyways I had to order infinity2 again over the phone, was given 29th june 1pm - 6pm as engineer time. I thought excellent, bethere service finishes 29th and bt starts same day, at least there wont be any broadband downtime. So I take a day off work on the 29th, the hub arrived 27th, at 5pm I phone bt up to ask where the engineer is? Bt tell me he couldt make it and they are sorry and should have let me know, the next engineer date is 13th of july. Is it only me or others had bad experience like this. I wont be able to get another day off from work so soon and I am without broadband access. Who in bt can I complain to? What compensation am I entitled to?

Soldato
Im so frustrated that it seems my cab is not going to be upgraded! My exchange Braintree has been fibre enabled for over a year now and i think i am going to be one of the unlucky ones that has to stick with my shoddy 2mb adsl connection.

Is there a reason why they dont do every cab in a fibre enabled area? Just seems stupid to me. I understand the cost of it etc but does it actually come down to "who" wants it so to speak? I have registered my interest on the BT website and i am very tempted to create a quick poster in word and post one through every door on my estate and ask people to register there interest to see if it makes any difference.

The most annoying part of all this is that i live on a brand new estate that is just over 1 year old and it seems everyone has to put up with a 2mb max connection! I have also considered writting to the council but i cant see anything being done so would rather not waste my time. Also to top it off BT are now doubling the speed of FTTC up to 80mb! what about the people who can only still get 1-2mb??

Soldato
Band together with your neighbours, or have a chat with your local councillor yourself,they may be able to apply some pressure to get cabinet enabled.

It worked here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks guys i will look into speaking to my local councillor.

KIA, i understand it may not be cost effective but do you think if i could get every household on my estate to register an interest surely that would then be cost effective no?

Soldato
Wouldn't hurt knocking up flyer explaining things, benefits of fibre,registering an interest (include link) & getting them complaining to councillor about problems,etc , & posting them through the doors.

Soldato
Cheers mate, i have just fired off an email to 4 different councillors in my area so just its a waiting game to see if and what there responce would be. I have noticed that there is a guy round the corner from me that always has a BT van parked on his drive so im thinking i might see if i can have a word with him and see if he has any ideas on how to pursue this

Associate
Is there a reason why they dont do every cab in a fibre enabled area?...

The most annoying part of all this is that i live on a brand new estate that is just over 1 year old and it seems everyone has to put up with a 2mb max connection!

The reason they don't do every cabinet is cost vs expected takeup.

From what you say, BT installed FTTC over a year ago and your estate is newer than this. So if your cab existed before your estate did, it may not have served enough customers at the time the decision was taken which cabs to upgrade (which could have been taken several years ago - FTTC rollout is a huge task)

BT do go back and 'infill' areas to reflect new estates/missed cabs etc but most of their effort is on rolling out the service/coverage asap... assuming your estate is large enough it will come in due course..

Associate
The reason they don't do every cabinet is cost vs expected takeup.

BT do go back and 'infill' areas to reflect new estates/missed cabs etc but most of their effort is on rolling out the service/coverage asap... assuming your estate is large enough it will come in due course..

That's what I thought too, but my current flat is in a development of 4 towers and only the smallest of the 4 is enabled. That's about 350 flats left with a 3mbit ASDL1 sync (exchange is Poplar, which is heavily oversubscribed so at peak times throughput is about 512k)

btinfinity.jpg

BT's only plan at the moment is to get additional ASDL2+ capacity in October/November. So that'll be a marginal increase, assuming I'm even lucky enough to get a port.

My parents in rural Suffolk get a connection 5 times faster than I have in central London. Awesome.

Associate
That's what I thought too, but my current flat is in a development of 4 towers and only the smallest of the 4 is enabled. That's about 350 flats left with a 3mbit ASDL1 sync (exchange is Poplar, which is heavily oversubscribed so at peak times throughput is about 512k)

Ah yes, Poplar is infamous when it comes to xDSL for various reasons. (a bit like Milton Keynes used to be for adsl availability)

The fact that only one of the 4 towers currently gets FTTC doesn't mean that the others won't get it.

You may be in a better position than you realise as Poplar is so well known to have problems, Openreach are using part of the area to test FTTB as well. I assume you have seen this and tried to register here

Associate
It would be nice to know where BT are with their rollout plans. The Eastbourne exchange is enabled for FTTC and they had a big burst of activity round here with installing new cabinets, except for my street. My cabinet is on their list to be done (as of the last spreadsheet I saw), but there doesn't seem to be any sign of the new cabinet being installed yet.

I find it a little bit weird that they would have a lot of activity in an area installing new cabinets, yet not do them all at once. I can understand if they deem a cabinet not financially viable, but ifs its on the list to be done why not do them all in one go ?

Soldato
Is it common for bt to miss appointments? I have a good mind to complain to ofcom. I was with talktalk and bethere, decided to go for infinity2 with bt, placed the order online to have line moved to bt, gave them mac code for the broadband. I was given 15th june as my date for everything going live. All bt did was move my line over from talktalk on 15th, I called to find out and was told that the broadband team would pickup my order. A week went past I phoned up again and bt tell me that there has not been a broadband order placed. I mean wth!!, I have been sent emails from bt about the phone line/infinity package which I signed up to. Anyways I had to order infinity2 again over the phone, was given 29th june 1pm - 6pm as engineer time. I thought excellent, bethere service finishes 29th and bt starts same day, at least there wont be any broadband downtime. So I take a day off work on the 29th, the hub arrived 27th, at 5pm I phone bt up to ask where the engineer is? Bt tell me he couldt make it and they are sorry and should have let me know, the next engineer date is 13th of july. Is it only me or others had bad experience like this. I wont be able to get another day off from work so soon and I am without broadband access. Who in bt can I complain to? What compensation am I entitled to?

Yes. Almost exactly the same deal as you (apart from the not having records of an order). Took a day off work, 6pm came and went and I phoned them up. Got passed around from pillar to post inside they agent team until I spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about. Said next available date was in 3 weeks time. I basically told them over the phone and via an email complaint that if it's not sorted out I would cancel the order and go somewhere else. After a few more complaints they came and did it the next day just to get rid of me I think!

Back
Top Bottom