Tom Tom worthwhile?

Associate
I am considering buying the Tom Tom app because I am in need of a decent sat-nav solution, but I'm worried that I'll be wasting money if iOS 6's Tom Tom powered sat-nav is as good as/better than the current paid app.

Has anything been said regarding this?

Associate
I am considering buying the Tom Tom app because I am in need of a decent sat-nav solution, but I'm worried that I'll be wasting money if iOS 6's Tom Tom powered sat-nav is as good as/better than the current paid app.

Has anything been said regarding this?

I'd wait and see.

At the moment it's debatable based on the beta. Tom Tom has the maps saved where as the Maps app downloads them as needed. But the Maps app seems to have free traffic data but this is a monthly subscription on Tom Tom. I suspect Tom Tom will drop their price and make stuff inclusive come iOS6.

Associate
I'd suggest trying the free options first.

Have you looked at CoPilot GPS, it's a 30mb app which gives you the choice of downloading one map for free and buy additional ones if you want.

This means, well free turn by turn navigation and you only have to download the entire map once and not every time there's an app update.

Also it might be worth waiting for the inbuilt maps in iOS6.

I have the TomTom app and it's great, but right now, I don't think it's worth the price.

Associate
I got the TomTom app when first released. It's been updated quite dramatically over the years and I've been quite happy, despite the initial price tag. However, as suggested above - it's probably worth waiting a few months for IOS6 and perhaps finding a cheap/free alternative to tide you over in the meantime.

Soldato
+1 for NavFree. I am expecting iOS6's new Maps app to be complete trash for the UK as I believe it'll be poor for starters and gradually improve with future updates. Either way I can't see it being able to compete with proper mapping apps...for the meantime anyway.

Commissario
FrequencyCast mentioned that the new turn-by-turn stuff is going to be provided by TomTom. I've not heard that anywhere else though so I don't know if it's accurate.

The TomTom app is superb now though, it's really grown since the first version and I can recommend it.

Associate
FrequencyCast mentioned that the new turn-by-turn stuff is going to be provided by TomTom. I've not heard that anywhere else though so I don't know if it's accurate.

The TomTom app is superb now though, it's really grown since the first version and I can recommend it.

It's accurate, it says the data is provided by TomTom in the new maps application on iOS6.

Soldato
I find the TomTom app to be far better than the actual TomTom device I used to use, plus they don't charge you for the map updates.

There is a good chance iOS6 may render it somewhat pointless, so I would say its all down to you as to how much navigation you need between now and then as to justify it. I'm sure the likes of TomTom, who must make a great deal of money through the App now aren't going to simply rest on their laurels because Apple have something better.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the replies all.

I think I'll wait and see what happens. Navfree worked well when I tested it the other day but the Skobler app has proved terrible on several occasions :(

Soldato
Is the new maps app going to be american only? Can't find anything to say it will support international maps such as the UK and don't want it to be like siri which only does USA at the moment.

Soldato
Also keep an eye on Sygic. It uses Tomtom maps but not IQroutes or HDTraffic at the moment. The developer has just announced that they will be moving to using these tomtom features over the next few months. That should mean near identical routing and traffic to Tomtom but Sygic is much cheaper.

Soldato
Is the new maps app going to be american only? Can't find anything to say it will support international maps such as the UK and don't want it to be like siri which only does USA at the moment.

It will be UK, the beta allowed me to plan a route (though I don't drive to test it out)

The maps were quite poor though compared to Google maps already though, missing lots of smaller streets etc. Obviously only very early beta at the moment but got a long way to go. I really don't think it will compete that well to an already well established Sat Nav app.

Siri allows for local searches in iOS6 as well so goes full on like the US version already does.

Soldato
I'm using SatNav 2 at the moment, it's not a bad free option.

I can recommend this 100%
Amazing app and it was free when I got it, just had another huge update and it's even better than it was before
Amazing ui display etc etc, don't waste your money on Tom Tom or co pilot, this does more its better and cheaper too!:p

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom