*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Associate
Hey my phone has started to chip at the top corners like I read about a few days ago! Do they all do this or only certain ones? I thought mine may have been safe as I have only had my phone in my pocket by itself and its still managed to flake a little bit in under a week? Think its worth getting a replacement or do they all do this? cheers

just like this http://cdn-static.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/mobiles/htc-one-s-chipped-casing.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hey my phone has started to chip at the top corners like I read about a few days ago! Do they all do this or only certain ones? I thought mine may have been safe as I have only had my phone in my pocket by itself and its still managed to flake a little bit in under a week? Think its worth getting a replacement or do they all do this? cheers

just like this http://cdn-static.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/mobiles/htc-one-s-chipped-casing.jpg

That would drive me mad. I wouldn't accept that (and it should be fixed now apparently).

Caporegime
It seems like it is a very common issue just like the signal issue, however, there are people who don't have a problem with it despite being the first to get the mobile when released. I got mine around release day and still haven't got any chips on the sides, top etc. just around the USB port edges.

As Robbo said, it should be fixed now, they changed the design a little bit so that the USB port is more bevelled and the edges are smoother.

You can return it and tell them that HTC said people experiencing this problem were allowed to return it and get a new model till you got one, which didn't have the chipping issue, without any questions asked. You can use the below thread and the following news site to "prove" that you have the right to get a new one due to that:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1589364

http://androidcommunity.com/htc-offers-immediate-fix-for-one-s-chipping-issues-20120412/

Still no sign of the nillkin case :( And those soft cases still aren't in stock either so going to have one last look today and buy one:

Either;

- rock quicksand case (about £8)
- qubits Hybrid Rubberised Back Case (about £4)
- diztronic matte case (about £8)

No point ordering the nillkin case, just in case it does decide to show up at some point in the next 5 weeks :p

Don't think I will be getting it anyway as they never got back to my email.

Associate
Hmm, thought you would have got much better reception with the GS 2, same level as your defy.

TBH I did? I was a little surprised. If I didn't know better I'd put it down to rubbish Three signal out in the sticks but know that isn't the case. Further testing has proved it only marginally better at home and in the yard. Not right sure what is going on? Can't be the sim cos it works fine in the Motorola? Maybe I'll just have to buy a Razr as they say Motorola phones always have a good antenna :eek::eek:

The GS 2 has got ICS, have you checked for the latest via OTA in settings or through samsung kies (awful program though)? If not you can manually flash the stock firmware using odin (very very easy), can get the files from samfirmware, tbh it is better doing it just this way :p

ICS won't improve battery life by much, only idle drain. Best to get the extended battery in order to get roughly the same levels as the S.

I did try Kies and after much ado said it could not update this phone via it? Also auto update on the phone says there are no updates for the phone - it's on 2.3.6.

I think I'll have to get my hands dirty and push CRM and go from there. Not sure if I want to now :( I still prefer the One S :eek: Before I rush out and buy extended battery I'd better be sure I'm not going to sell it on?

What do you think of the screen?

OK, but not as good as the One S Not quite as bright outside at max brightness as the One S but not bad at all. Colours seem more saturated and espiecially blues which against the One S give whites a blue tint. Other than that there is not a lot in it.

Don't do anything with either of the phones till the new nexus devices are out ;) You will regret it if you do :p

Don't think I will (sell the One S). I have pressure from family whom both have iPhones to stop messing about and get one :eek: Well that's not going to happen. I will see what the next iPhone (5?) is like though. Will have to be good and like you say see what comes out later this year? If I can upgrade the GS2 to ICS of some sort and maybe flash another modem zip that improves things (I believe this is possible) then I may sell the One S. I've a feeling the GS2 may have been tinkered with before I got it though not rooted or anything when I got it. I've rooted it with SuperOneClick but that didn't push a Clockwork recovery like I thought it might?

Yeah, sorry forgot to mention that it has the same storage and lacks NFC as well. But everything regarding the battery/design and screen is the same as the X.

If it's only 16GB the One XL then I'm not bothering. I want a min of 32gigs next phone I buy if no memory slot installed.

Soldato
What network are you chaps on that don't get this issue with the phone, I have tried a Orange sim and it doesn't seem to do it but does on my O2 one.

Caporegime
@Richy

Probably the only good things about motorola phones :p

Hmm, strange that! Pretty sure all GS 2 can update to ICS now, even the network branded ones? TBH you are probably better of in some ways sticking with GB on the GS 2 as there seems to be more problems on it, like battery drain sometimes, more lag, amongst other issues, probably due to people not factory resetting the phone after though....

It is very easy with Samsung phones, I think it would more or less be the same process as it was with my spica, simply dll the files from samfirmware and load the 4 or 3 files into odin by browsing for them and then putting the GS 2 into dll mode by holding certain buttons and then clicking the start button on odin and that is it pretty much and then to root simply load one file into odin and put the mobile back in dll mode again and click start in odin and that is you ready to flash custom ROms etc. via recovery.

iphone 5........................ no more needs to be said :D :p Nah, the only good thing, which will/should happen with the 5 is hopefully a bigger screen with very little bezel and a completely new design rather than a rectangle slab and hardware upgrades won't be that impressive, probably be roughly the same as the GS 3, but you won't really notice it anyway as they are already fast and smooth. They need to do something about the software, ios is getting very dated looking now and is really boring IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised tbh if it was rooted and custom ROMs on by the previous owner, as long as it works though :) No idea what the process is like for the GS 2.

@Jabbs

I am on o2

Associate
Nightmare I have the poor signal issues!

I had the Desire HD for 18 months with Vodafone - signal was never a problem in my local area.

Now I pick it up at home lucky to get 3 bars - sometimes it shows no signal which is very worrying - how long did it have no signal for? Or is it just the act of touching the phone that sends the signal down!

Disappointing as phone is really nice.

Caporegime
Nightmare I have the poor signal issues!

I had the Desire HD for 18 months with Vodafone - signal was never a problem in my local area.

Now I pick it up at home lucky to get 3 bars - sometimes it shows no signal which is very worrying - how long did it have no signal for? Or is it just the act of touching the phone that sends the signal down!

Disappointing as phone is really nice.

:(

It will depend on where you hold the phone, the top part of the phone is where the antenna is, but I really have to fully grip it and cover it in order for the signal to drop.

Have you tried going to mobile data network settings and choosing "GSM only" mode? (if you have that option)

I've come up with a new slogan for HTC:

HTC 'Disappointing as the phone is really nice'

Lol :D

Although Nauggie actually came up with it first :p :D

Caporegime
[Apple] Keep talking like that if you want to get sued. [/Apple]

;)

haha :D

Took some photos earlier:

All auto settings apart from the first one, think it was -1 saturation. Was "brightish".

Think 3 of those photos (the 1st, 3rd and 4th) are probably 3 of the best photos I have ever taken :o

eluwA.jpg

DCU64.jpg

p3DS6.jpg

QpaSR.jpg

And -2 saturation for that same red flower, B&W :D

K1xv9.jpg

Associate
:(

It will depend on where you hold the phone, the top part of the phone is where the antenna is, but I really have to fully grip it and cover it in order for the signal to drop.

Have you tried going to mobile data network settings and choosing "GSM only" mode? (if you have that option)

Trademarking! I know a guy who knows a guy who lives next to an Apple lawyer. :D

Just put it on GSM only and at least at the office it has gone from 3 to 5 bars. Which is something.

Soldato
That would drive me mad. I wouldn't accept that (and it should be fixed now apparently).

That's not the revised model though so it's inevitable (unless you're one of the lucky ones)

The pic he linked is pretty much how mine looks but i really cba with the hassle of getting it swapped and it isn't getting any worse.

Caporegime
Trademarking! I know a guy who knows a guy who lives next to an Apple lawyer. :D

:D

Just put it on GSM only and at least at the office it has gone from 3 to 5 bars. Which is something.

Nice, glad to hear that has helped a bit :)

When you have a H/3G connection it will impact the voice reception a bit (pretty much the same for every phone), unless you're in an area where it has really good coverage, it will also impact battery life more than a G/E connection.

So, use "WCDMA only" (3G/H connection), when you want/need a fast connection i.e. for web browsing and use "GSM only" (G/E connection), when you don't need a fast connection but want to keep emails and weather etc. syncing and you should be just fine :)

Also keep "GSM only" mode selected even when you're on wifi as it still has an impact on the voice reception etc.

You can use this app to monitor the signal better and have a more accurate readout.

Soldato
Maybe if he returns it now they might i dunno. But there must still be a few old ones hanging around in shops somewhere getting sold. I would like to get a new one it just feels nicer but surely the only way to get all my app/game data and everything else transfered would be to send it to HTC, if they can even do that?

Caporegime
Don't think they would do that :p

Only way to keep game saves etc. is to root and titanium backup it all and then root your new mobile and restore it :) (unless the game saves are stored somewhere on the SD section like app settings etc. e.g. apex settings can be backed up and restored via the SD card iirc)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom