*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Soldato
And that is why i havn't bothered to get a new one :p

I don't even have that much stuff i'd want to back up, guess i'm just lazy. Plus it's been ages now and i wouldn't be able to go through O2 would have to be HTC and end up without a phone for a while?

Caporegime
Lazy!!!! :p

You could try with o2 if you wanted, but if not then yeah HTC would hopefully get something sorted but as you said would take longer, probably about 2 weeks.

Caporegime
Not that I know of..........

:confused:

I only know that HTC have something to replace the X, rumoured the XXL, which will be using quad core S4 chip and possibly a SD slot iirc.

@Skillmister

Nice, be interesting to see :)

Associate
:D

Nice, glad to hear that has helped a bit :)

When you have a H/3G connection it will impact the voice reception a bit (pretty much the same for every phone), unless you're in an area where it has really good coverage, it will also impact battery life more than a G/E connection.

So, use "WCDMA only" (3G/H connection), when you want/need a fast connection i.e. for web browsing and use "GSM only" (G/E connection), when you don't need a fast connection but want to keep emails and weather etc. syncing and you should be just fine :)

Also keep "GSM only" mode selected even when you're on wifi as it still has an impact on the voice reception etc.

You can use this app to monitor the signal better and have a more accurate readout.

OK thanks will look into this.

Just reading about this S4/S3 chip issue. According to Quadrant I have the S4 chip. Can check box when I get home.

Though I don't have the bevelled edge at usb port others talk about.

Caporegime
The clock speed of the S4 is 1.5GHz and S3 is 1.7GHz

It was only introduced around 3-4 weeks ago iirc. So not many people have one and I am sure that there will still be loads of the older design about, some people have been lucky with the older design though, I think it might have just been a few bad batches at the start.

Soldato
Sorry, I was hearing about the XXL and thought there was another S on the way too. So the signal problem is only really there on earlier models of the S?

So if you want to get a One S you need to get one that is early enough to have the S4, but old enough to have the redesigned case? :p :confused:

Caporegime
Sorry, I was hearing about the XXL and thought there was another S on the way too. So the signal problem is only really there on earlier models of the S?

So if you want to get a One S you need to get one that is old enough to have the S4, but new enough to have the redesigned case? :p :confused:

No idea if there is, Robbo or/and Sarge or/and kona would know better if there is a revised one S on the way.

Nothing to do with old or new devices, just a problem with them all although some people i.e. me and kona as well as skillmister etc. aren't experiencing these issues as badly as others like Richy etc. It seems to come down to how good the coverage is for your area, from what I can gather if your in an area where it isn't great then signal will vary a lot and cut out every now and again, even more so if you have an H/3G connection as well, so need to make sure that your network provides good coverage before getting one.

There will be more software updates to try and improve it though, but no idea when the next one is coming, the previous 2 updates (for USA) seems to have fixed it for some and for others, it hasn't :(

lol :D Fixed that last part a bit :p

I think you will be safe in the UK regarding the S4 version, as only the European and Asian markets have got the S3 so far........ and there should be the newer designs with the S4 around as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice, be interesting to see :)

OP delivers :D
They collect dust too well :o Each time i wiped it off by the time i took a picture there was more!
P7020236%20copy.jpg

P7020240%20copy.jpg

P7020237%20copy.jpg

P7020238%20copy.jpg

P7020239%20copy.jpg

Caporegime
Very nice pics there showing the difference :)

Looks much smoother especially the USB area :eek: Much better :cool:

Tempted to send mine back now and try to get the new design :D :p

Caporegime
If i could be sure of a decent turn around time i probably would :p

Yeah, only thing that puts me off doing it!

Couldn't bare going back to my spica for about 2 weeks or more :eek: :o

Me too - is the risk we end up with an S3 chip? :confused:

If you return to the shop where you bought it from in the UK, should be fine, send it to HTC though, possibly, but you just need to make it clear to them that you bought the S for the S4 chip and want to get the same model but with the new design.

Caporegime
@Kona

What is the diztronic matte case like for feel? Is it a hard rubber or soft rubber like the tough case mate silicone part?

Does it show fingerprints and greasy marks easily and if it does, is it easy enough to clean/wipe off?

And just to clarify, you found it be very good for the power/lock and volume buttons? Good feedback and not too easy to press but not too hard to press?

EDIT:

Just remembered that it has a cutout for the power/lock button.

Last edited:
Associate
Really cannot wait for mine to arrive now. I was disappointed they had none in store. I don`t do waiting very well :D

Just hope both are S4 powered. Reading this thread and around the web has me a little concerned. If there is one of each, I will give the S3 to the missus. She will never know ;)

Back
Top Bottom