Closed laptop will it overheat?

Associate
Well i'm getting back into PC gaming again but I got rid of my desktop and now have just a laptop for now anyways.
So my question is if I had the laptop closed and kept it on a shelf below and connected up a monitor and keyboard for gaming would it cause the laptop to overheat?, I also have a laptop cooling mat with built in fans.
Thanks

Associate
heat isn't supposed to eascape through the top. But then if you're gaming it might be different. After a couple hours of gaming while closed open up the laptop and see if the keyword is hot. If it's hot then it could be a problem.

Most important thing to do is to put it in a cool palace. if you can elevant it by putting it on top of 4 blocks or something. Sort of like create table legs for it. Around 1cm off the surface so there is enogh airflow paths along the bottom. Also don't place it on top of other stuff like a satellite receiver or something else that gets hot.

Soldato
heat isn't supposed to eascape through the top. But then if you're gaming it might be different. After a couple hours of gaming while closed open up the laptop and see if the keyword is hot. If it's hot then it could be a problem.

Most important thing to do is to put it in a cool palace. if you can elevant it by putting it on top of 4 blocks or something. Sort of like create table legs for it. Around 1cm off the surface so there is enogh airflow paths along the bottom. Also don't place it on top of other stuff like a satellite receiver or something else that gets hot.

He did say he has a laptop cooler so that's even better.

Soldato
There is quite a bit of heat radiating out of the top of my notebook.
My guess is notebooks are not designed to be doing heavy CPU / GPU functions with the screen closed... if for no other reason then the screen and keyboard would normally be used when system is working.

Soldato
My hands feel heat radiating off of keyboard into room. More heat than my hands are radiating into keyboard... And when screen/top is closed there is not only no air movement over keyboard, but an additional thickness of the top insulating and holding heat in. Hooked to a remote keyboard/mouse and screen playing games means a lot more heat is being generated. End result is it is much safer to leave top open then closed.

Back
Top Bottom